Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

JDM spec Evo8 stupid newbie questions

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2003, 11:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy JDM spec Evo8 stupid newbie questions

I have some stupid questions:

1) Would it be possible to get the ACD/AYD/extra 3 torque/6-speed tranny converted to work with an American Evo?

2) How much do you think it would cost?

3) Are any of the aftermarket companies that frequent these boards working on such a task?

Take it easy on me,I'm new.
Old Aug 9, 2003, 11:35 PM
Evolving Member

there is a japanes web site i saw that had stuff for us evo not sure what exactly but they were ad. evo 8
check it out
www.takakaira.com
Old Aug 10, 2003, 04:41 AM
Evolved Member

Re: JDM spec Evo8 stupid newbie questions

Originally posted by Loucer
I have some stupid questions:

1) Would it be possible to get the ACD/AYD/extra 3 torque/6-speed tranny converted to work with an American Evo?

2) How much do you think it would cost?

3) Are any of the aftermarket companies that frequent these boards working on such a task?

Take it easy on me,I'm new.
Anything is possible - it's just a matter of how much you want to spend. At Rhys Millen Racing in California, the guys there told me they had an Evo VII drivetrain (ACD) and a complete Evo VII dash to convert the VIII to an ACD car. I don't know about AYC. The other thing to consider is that there is a substantial amount of electrical and other plumbing to get these systems to work. I remember I read somewhere that the US-spec car lost AYC because our OBD-II stuff took the space occupied by the AYC controller. Whether that's true or not, I don't know, but it shows that space is at a premium. Anyway, I think you could make your car have all of those things if you ordered all of the parts from Mitsu Japan and then had someone VERY skilled put them in. It would be prohibitively expensive though. If you really want all of the goodies, it's probably cheaper to buy a JDM car converted by Evolution Imports or something. Good luck.
Old Aug 10, 2003, 09:36 PM
In Timeout

Even though most people who ask this question don't really intend on purchasing an Evo... (Just like the 963 people on the supraforums who post... How do I get 800HP?) But maybe you do want to buy an evo or you already own one... If going fast is your goal... Dont bother with waiting for mitsubishi jdm oem ****...its cost prohibitive and a pain in the ****. Im sure someone will make available the same race differentials/rear ends/transmissions and all the other really race ready **** thats already available for awd dsms. If you really plan on dumping 10k in your car...you might as well make it fast rather than a JDM clone.