Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Turbo upgrade gone bad

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2008, 05:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alloutDSM
like i was saying i made 449 on pump with this atp kit and im boosting like at4000-4500 rpm! i want to change it out for a buschur 35r becuase its capable of much more, but whoever said you cant get pass 400 is wrong!
im the one saying i cant get past 400 i know this because i dynoed and tune the car and it wouldnt make more than 388 at high high boost. my turbo starts to spool at 4 but i dont see 25 pounds till 5500.
Old May 20, 2008, 05:31 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RevMoto
Just because you can buy a part doesn't mean you know anything about it. If you did you would have never bought the kit. I drove an atp 35r car around for a year. It belonged to my old roomate. Slowest car I have ever driven. You have barely any power under the curve. An ATP 35r kit spools around 5200-5400. You will have trouble breaking 400whp on pump with it. Then get laughed at when stock turbo cars walk you all day. Also no matter what manifold you put on that it wont do anything.
i agree with you 110% my car with a stock turbo would destroy my set up now, these kits are really rediculous. i think its a win or lose situation with these kits, and i lost.
Old May 20, 2008, 05:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Phenix@XtremeBoost
Well where are the logs?
ill have some logs hopefully tomorrow
Old May 20, 2008, 05:52 PM
Evolving Member

i put the stock fmic back on today im gunna get mine aftermarket one tested at a local radiator shop for leaks.
Old May 20, 2008, 06:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RevMoto
Just because you can buy a part doesn't mean you know anything about it. If you did you would have never bought the kit. I drove an atp 35r car around for a year. It belonged to my old roomate. Slowest car I have ever driven. You have barely any power under the curve. An ATP 35r kit spools around 5200-5400. You will have trouble breaking 400whp on pump with it. Then get laughed at when stock turbo cars walk you all day. Also no matter what manifold you put on that it wont do anything.

Sure,,, you are 100% right. I'll just go take this kit off and throw it in the garbage. I'll just forget about every thread that I've read on this kit and listen to you because your friend's car was slow.

Any updates with the subject car at hand? Did it feel any better with the stock cooler on? Did you boost test it again and log?
Old May 20, 2008, 07:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 4kinboost
Sure,,, you are 100% right. I'll just go take this kit off and throw it in the garbage. I'll just forget about every thread that I've read on this kit and listen to you because your friend's car was slow.

Any updates with the subject car at hand? Did it feel any better with the stock cooler on? Did you boost test it again and log?
stock intercooler is back on and car feels the same but quiter for some reason and boost level went down to 22 without adjusting the controller. but car still has zero boost leaks and im planing on logging the car tomorrow if my buddy gets out of work in time. also i had a check engine light for either a rich condition or lean condition and it went away when i put the stock fmic back on.
Old May 20, 2008, 07:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bosco121
stock intercooler is back on and car feels the same but quiter for some reason and boost level went down to 22 without adjusting the controller. but car still has zero boost leaks and im planing on logging the car tomorrow if my buddy gets out of work in time. also i had a check engine light for either a rich condition or lean condition and it went away when i put the stock fmic back on.
Injectors prolly aren't even scaled correctly...
Old May 20, 2008, 07:55 PM
Evolving Member

i agree with you 110% my car with a stock turbo would destroy my set up now, these kits are really rediculous. i think its a win or lose situation with these kits, and i lost.
Dont be to hard on yourself man i did the same thing with my old car. With my wrx i went for cheap parts ect and had nothing but problems. Live and learn at least it didnt hurt your car at all just your wallet .
Old May 20, 2008, 08:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Phenix@XtremeBoost
Injectors prolly aren't even scaled correctly...
injectors are scaled correctly for 780cc injectors
Old May 20, 2008, 10:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what bov are you using?
Old May 20, 2008, 10:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bolsen
Yes, I can say turbulence; turbulence.

They is not garrett. Garrett did not have a twin scroll design when the ATP product was made. Now days if you so choose to have a ts hot side, all you have to do is ask.

The lack of TS is not why he's not making power.
You obviously can't read. STOCK IS A TWIN SCROLL. ATP KIT USES OUR STOCK MANIFOLD WHICH IS A TWIN SCROLL DESIGN AND MADE A HOTESIDE THAT TRIES TO BLEND THE TWO WHICH DOESN'T WORK.
Old May 20, 2008, 10:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 4kinboost

An ATP kit will make 100whp less then any other 35r turbo kit out. Spool later also. Where do you think you have a win. If you have driven a car with another turbo kit you will know. I have driven and installed almost every kit on the market. ATP sucks. If you did drive a car with another kit yours will be up for sale already. Also do you have any 1/4 mile times? Any of you ATP owners break into the 11's yet?
Old May 20, 2008, 10:53 PM
Former Sponsor

I'm shocked it broke 400....

But peak power isnt the issue... Peak power doesnt make a car fast... just gives you bragging rights... Like a supra or vette making 800+ whp on skinny street tires....

If the kits spooling at 6k 1500 rpms isnt enough too make something usable to be driven...

This is usable power and what your goal should be +/- hp depend what your goal is.....

Cheers!

Old May 20, 2008, 11:31 PM
Evolved Member

And that's the truth.......with some CHEESE on it.
Old May 21, 2008, 12:38 AM
Evolving Member

dan over at pruven is tuning. im not bashing ATP, my buddy has a ATP 35r kit and hes made 420whp without cams or intercooler piping, and with out meth at 23psi. i thought i would make more than him since i have cams, intercooler piping, and meth. both cars were tuned by the same tuner. i made this thread to get some info on what can be wrong with the car or turbo on why its not making the power.
Shooo looks like the 35R with the ATP housing just doesn't spool quick enough on a 2L...

I mean a GT35R is a fairly big Turbo for a 2L as it is and then adding the ATP housing on a stock Manifold just makes the problem worse so the GT35R cant get anywhere near its potential.

The only Turbo that is probably any good on an ATP .63 Housing is the GT3071R and maybe the GT30R with the right supporting mods but from what I've they still only get full boost around 4500rpm...

So if you want to stick with you 35R on you setup, looks like you will need a new exhust housing and tubular manifold + some suporting mods like headwork to aid spool...

Quick Reply: Turbo upgrade gone bad