Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Making 380WHP with $635

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2008, 02:38 PM
DTM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Evo IX
Their load bearing ability has no relevance to producing a "true" wheel horsepower figure. Do you really know about Mustang Dynos or are you just talking? A Mustang still spins a drum just like DynoJet, it still spits out a number based on a mathamatical calculation that is an arbitrary metric representative of vehicle performance. I dont see how producing a lower number makes it "true". I see what your trying to indicate, but the power output is being measured at the wheels on both Dyno's..
Really?

Would you prefer that they spin with imaginary rollers? The difference is the fact that they calculate the amount of twisting force the vehicle applies to the rollers and the Eddy Current required to maintain the load.
The "calculation" you speak of is not based off of a set weight off the roller(s), it is calculated using inertia and relative roll resistance. Not some hocus pocus trick, that some consider to be the industry standard.
A lower number does not quantify results nor does it make it "true". MD's give you a real world understanding of what the car is doing pull to pull. Regardless of the numerical value it spits out.
Old May 15, 2008, 02:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You guys lost me a few posts ago when you went off on the differences of the dyno(s)....
Old May 15, 2008, 03:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Brian (Turbodawg) already says he caveats ALL results from this very dyno by saying it reads like a Dynojet and has done so for years, so I don't think it's beyond reasonable to expect this new tuner and old Evo owner (Blowoffsilver) to do the same, do you?
Warr i spouted off at you earlier in thread, i will say im sorry for doing so! But you must understand I did not expect to get all this dyno reading crap brung into this thread! The only real thing I was thinking about the whole time was this car made over 100 more to the wheels on this dyno than any other stock car with liitle parts???? Why i do not know, maybe i did a good job (like I try to do). Im sorry for anyone who i mislead, which i did not mislead any of my customers! The op knew exactly what a stock 9 put down before his car. Im sorry that i dont agree on all this exact way of dyno reading. I just think of it as comparing numbers on this dyno and now I will explain this dyno to everyone before they step on it! However I have seen some fast times off this dyno and will hope to see more soon. I hope all of you guys understand that i have nothing to do with this dyno and its numbers!! Im also sorry i didnt make it into this thread before post 51 to tell you guys what a stock 9 really does put down on this dyno.

I want to also say thanks to all the guys that support me, I will continue doing my best to support you and your Evo's!!!
Old May 15, 2008, 04:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DTM
Really?

Would you prefer that they spin with imaginary rollers?

A lower number does not quantify results nor does it make it "true". MD's give you a real world understanding of what the car is doing pull to pull. Regardless of the numerical value it spits out.
No , that would be really unsafe.

I was just pointing out that just because it spits out lower numbers, doesnt make them accurate.

As far as evilbada's post and car, he came in here needlessly attacking the OP's car, and his tuner, and left himself open for a taste of his own
medicine. I apologize if I offended you or your shop.
Old May 15, 2008, 04:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts
No , that would be really unsafe.

I was just pointing out that just because it spits out lower numbers, doesnt make them accurate.
It has nothing to do with it spitting out lower numbers. It has to do with the way those lower numbers are achieved.
Old May 15, 2008, 04:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by blowoffsilver
The only real thing I was thinking about the whole time was this car made over 100 more to the wheels on this dyno than any other stock car with liitle parts?
It's nice to see that things are calming down. I don't doubt that you are a good tuner, like I said before, but I shouldn't have called you deceitful when I realize now you probably just didn't understand the significance of the scaling on the dyno you were tuning on. We've all learned something here I hope.

On that note, also keep in mind that even a 100hp gain can mean different things depending on the dyno setup. As an extreme example, imagine a dyno setup to show a stock Evo making 100hp. Now, a 100hp increase would be double the power! But that same Evo on a dyno that has been setup to show 1000hp stock would show a 1000hp increase! So on this possibly higher reading dyno you were tuning on, the 100hp increase is probably closer to a 70-80hp increase on other more conservative dynos. That's important information to know for the guy who just did the same mods but only shows a 70hp increase at some other shop.

Good luck with your future endeavors either way, no hard feelings. And I'm sure the OP is loving his improved performance.
Old May 15, 2008, 04:53 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by crcain
This is absolutely ridiculous. The acronym "WHP" has absolutely no meaning anymore. If you understand the losses that will exist because of the drivetrain and through friction at the wheels, a stock Evo will make like 200-220 atw.

So this guy has made 160 hp atw from an exhaust, air filter and tune?

Also, if the car is 220 atw stock, that means to get to 280 hp at the flywheel, you have to use about 24% losses. So the 380 hp atw would then be 500 hp at the flywheel.

You really think Evos make 500 engine hp with a tune and exhaust?

THIS IS RIDICULOUS
dude what the hell is your problem. the guy put on some mods, got tuned, did a dyno pull and posted the results. yes the reading appears to be high for the mods, but is it his fault? you could have just politely said it's not likely and stated your reasons instead of laughing. you've really become *** on these forums.

Last edited by nitz; May 15, 2008 at 05:15 PM.
Old May 15, 2008, 04:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Killboy
It's nice to see that things are calming down. I don't doubt that you are a good tuner, like I said before, but I shouldn't have called you deceitful when I realize now you probably just didn't understand the significance of the scaling on the dyno you were tuning on. We've all learned something here I hope.

On that note, also keep in mind that even a 100hp gain can mean different things depending on the dyno setup. As an extreme example, imagine a dyno setup to show a stock Evo making 100hp. Now, a 100hp increase would be double the power! But that same Evo on a dyno that has been setup to show 1000hp stock would show a 1000hp increase! So on this possibly higher reading dyno you were tuning on, the 100hp increase is probably closer to a 70-80hp increase on other more conservative dynos. That's important information to know for the guy who just did the same mods but only shows a 70hp increase at some other shop.

Good luck with your future endeavors either way, no hard feelings. And I'm sure the OP is loving his improved performance.
That a whole separate ball of wax. Differences between dynos don't tend to be linear either, so the percentage does not hold as power increases. It's closer to a static difference (i.e. 50whp) than it is a percentage difference, but this is also variable depending on the dyno type and other factors involved.
Old May 15, 2008, 05:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mcwop23
100WHP for $635 is awesome, congrats
Someone realized the real point. This thread needed to die yeasterday. Congrats to the op for gaining all sorts of power for little spent 4G63 FTW.
Old May 15, 2008, 05:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 06evors
Someone realized the real point. This thread needed to die yeasterday. Congrats to the op for gaining all sorts of power for little spent 4G63 FTW.
Someone? Yeah, in my 2nd post right after we finally found out the way this MD is calibrated:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...6&postcount=65

I've congratulated for what we can guesstimate is +100whp for $635 from the moment I knew what was going on. Others have done the same since, but that was not in question.
Old May 15, 2008, 06:24 PM

I am finding it amusing that people are saying " ive got $$$ worth of mods and i cant put those numbers down" all that says in a) you cant tune for **** and b) you wasted your money. I am all for calling somone out on BS, but all you can do is take him at his word. I am sure he didnt start this thread out trying to get this kind of attention.
Old May 15, 2008, 08:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Dave99gst
I am finding it amusing that people are saying " ive got $$$ worth of mods and i cant put those numbers down" all that says in a) you cant tune for **** and b) you wasted your money. I am all for calling somone out on BS, but all you can do is take him at his word. I am sure he didnt start this thread out trying to get this kind of attention.
Dave, good gains can be made without lots of mods or big $$$$ and I'll defend that with my own car's performance that has real numbers.

However, If the 380whp is to be defended then the car will need to perform at the 380whp level in order to be validated. Otherwise there is a pretty strong argument that it's actually a 330whp whp car if measured on a low reading Mustang (still good numbers). This car has an out of the ordinary mod strategy with the wg being an integral component. I think it's interesting even if the results are skewed and I'd like to find out how the car really performs.

Is nobody even interested in the fact that changing the WG likely netted these out of the ordinary gains. Or is everyone just caught up in numbers, and trying to discredit the tuner, or the dyno.

Originally Posted by DTM
Really?

Would you prefer that they spin with imaginary rollers? The difference is the fact that they calculate the amount of twisting force the vehicle applies to the rollers and the Eddy Current required to maintain the load.
The "calculation" you speak of is not based off of a set weight off the roller(s), it is calculated using inertia and relative roll resistance. Not some hocus pocus trick, that some consider to be the industry standard.
Engine tuning aside, since were discussing determining the most accurate whp.

Why would you believe its more accurate to base the whp calculation off of the amount of variable electrical current applied to a magnet that produces a brake effect on the roller compared to measuring whp by computing the accelleration of a fixed rotational mass.

Last edited by Mr. Evo IX; May 15, 2008 at 10:37 PM.
Old May 15, 2008, 08:17 PM
Evolved Member

Dave, big gains can be made without big mods or $$$$ and I'll defend that with my own car's performance that has real numbers.

However, If the 380whp is to be defended then the car will need to perform at the 380whp level in order to be validated. Otherwise there is a pretty strong argument that it's actually a 330whp whp car if measured on a low reading Mustang (still good numbers). This car has an out of the ordinary mod strategy with the wg being an integral component. I think it's interesting even if the results are skewed and I'd like to find out how the car really performs.

Is nobody even interested in the fact that changing the WG likely netted these out of the ordinary gains. Or is everyone just caught up in numbers, and trying to discredit the tuner, or the dyno.

Engine tuning aside, since were discussing determining the most accurate whp.

Why would you believe its more accurate to base the whp calculation off of the amount of variable electrical current applied to a magnet that produces a brale effect on the roller compared to measuring whp by computing the accelleration of a fixed rotational mass.
You guys can flame me if you want, but I am sure that the wastegate added a TON of power. I wish someone else would just do the same mods on there IX, NOT A MBC, but just a wastegate ($100 from forced performance), and see what they come up with.
Old May 15, 2008, 08:26 PM
Evolving Member

Didn't know the stock turbo was efficient at 430hp... Super nice numbers btw!
Old May 15, 2008, 08:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mx4life85
You guys can flame me if you want, but I am sure that the wastegate added a TON of power. I wish someone else would just do the same mods on there IX, NOT A MBC, but just a wastegate ($100 from forced performance), and see what they come up with.
I'm interested. Did you guys log boost by chance? I would really like to see some data that validates the gains. Also, I might be willing to try the wastegate as well. I'd like to see a little more data though as money is tight. Does your car hold boost 100% or something? Maybe Casey can post some logs with timing and fuel removed so we can see.

Are you talking about an actual wastegate, or a wastegate actuator with preload?

Last edited by Mr. Evo IX; May 15, 2008 at 10:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Making 380WHP with $635