Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Making 380WHP with $635

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2008, 06:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mr. Evo IX
Your trap speed is an average speed at the end of the 1/4 mile. It's a good indicator of the amount of horsepower your engine makes accross the powerband. It is not affected much by the launch at the beginning of the 1/4 mile like the ET is.

You dont need to launch to get a decent trap speed but you do need to floor it (WOT) through the gears and rev the engine to redline in each gear. You dont have to powershift either.
Oh, I see what your saying. In that case, I may try it out. The only track near me is a 1/8 track, is that still ok or would it mess up the numbers.
Old May 12, 2008, 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by No.9
Cheap power, how well does the FP actuator hold boost?
Very well, my boost barely tapers off at all. I'm usually watching the road and not the gauge, so I'd have to video it and let you see for yourself.
Old May 12, 2008, 10:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mx4life85
Oh, I see what your saying. In that case, I may try it out. The only track near me is a 1/8 track, is that still ok or would it mess up the numbers.
Don't bother with just the 1/8th - it won't be worth the cost and risk, because the information won't be very valuable. 1/8th-mile traps can vary wildly as compared to 1/4-mile traps, and without a launch, your 1/8th will suffer.

As for the babying, that is not what the Evo is for, so remember that. It's built to be driven, but that doesn't necessarily mean launching it. You can rip the Evo hard in other forms of racing without launching it, so maybe consider that at some point in the future. However, if you get a taste, you may be ruined for life (in a good way).
Old May 12, 2008, 11:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by blowoffsilver
hey john dont you run e85 if so didnt your car make a little over 500 on the green?? because their was a 05 evo 8 green car with cams and all the bolt-ons that made 474 at 28psi on this dyno too with e85, just trying to compare the dyno a little bit.
Actually that was 506 on a stock turbo on E90 and it was my boss' car. My car hasnt dyno'd on the Green and alcohol yet. It was a dynojet for reference, and I do have the airflow logs of that car so I can tell you what amount of air it takes to make that power.
Old May 13, 2008, 12:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mx4life85
The only track near me is a 1/8 track, is that still ok or would it mess up the numbers.
You live exactly 60 miles from Rockingham, NC, home to one of the most popular 1/4 mile drag strips in the world. "The Rock"

You're not far from me either, so swing by my way sometime and I'll work with ya on simple launches and more importantly, embracing that performance potential.
Old May 13, 2008, 02:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bboypuertoroc
This whole debate can easily be settled by seeing what the OP's car traps. I bet money it won't be near what a 380awhp Evo normally traps.

OP, I'm not discrediting any gains you've made, and quite frankly I would LOVE to make that much power for that cheap, but those dyno numbers are ridiculously high for your mods. A baseline dyno for your car would've helped immensly in this situation. My opinion, get her to the track and show what she can do.
What would an Evo making 380whp (Dynojet) trap in the quarter?
Old May 13, 2008, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Shameless Tuning
A quarter mile's end trap speed is a great comparison for how fast a car is... much more accurate than throwing dyno numbers around. Since vehicles all weigh different weights, different dynos give different numbers, and different cars & tunes have different powerbands, a trap speed is a much more accurate way of comparing two cars.

For example, a typical Mustang Dyno, well modded, well tuned, normal weight 380whp Evo would be in the 120-123 mph range.

It's more likely that this car will be in the 112-115 mph range.
Shameless, 120-123 is well over 380whp where I come from. Maybe on Buschur's freakish Mustang 380whp will trap 120ish.

RyuEvoIX's IX is trapping 117 although he claims a 120mph best trap. he's also running 30psi and 100% meth. I'm pretty certain he's well above 380whp.

ID #376's 384whp IX that was tuned at TurboTrix DynoJet and he traps 115.

Last edited by Mr. Evo IX; May 13, 2008 at 12:46 PM.
Old May 13, 2008, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dsmfan95
117 give or take.
Old May 13, 2008, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts
116-118.
Old May 13, 2008, 01:39 PM
Evolved Member

The mustang dyno at Taylor does not add more power then people have been talking about here , all these rumors about there dyno showing big number to make customer happy. The first dyno run i made was 493whp the night before the dyno i raced a twin turbo mustang that made 480 on a mustang dyno and i beat him by a car if Taylor’s dyno was reading 10 - 20% higher or something like that the mustang would walked me easy. For all of you who starting these rumors and don’t have anything else to do need to take a chill pill and get a life. Some cars do better then other u will never see 2 cars with same setup run same number they are always different.
Old May 13, 2008, 01:39 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
And I was here "over 2 years ago" when you reported them. They were always impressively high. Why do you think I'm confused with someone else? It's the car in your profile (Drives: 500 hp rocket), which hasn't changed for years. Here's a thread where we had this exact same discussion - amazing, huh?

geddy 25g on a mustang dyno

Notice the claimed 445whp on an MD with only 121mph traps. An Evo trapping 445 at BR would be closer to 130mph traps. I never saw a follow-up to that thread from you showing better track numbers.

I never flamed this thread.

Yes, he's trying to claim numbers that are inflated without explaining why they are inflated, because he has no idea. He just thinks he has this ridiculous beast that puts down impossible power on a Mustang Dyno, when that dyno actually reads higher than a Dynojet based off what you've told us. For the 3rd time, I'm not saying you, the car, nor the dyno is messed up. All I'm saying is those numbers are on a different scale than what the community understands. It's all a matter of context. Is that not clear? I'll try to make it clear:

Buschur MD: Stock = 220whp, Modded = 320whp, Gain = 100whp
Taylor MD: Stock = 280whp, Modded = 380whp, Gain = 100whp

Now, without a caveat in the original post, we are led to believe this:

Buschur MD: Stock = 220whp, Modded = 320whp, gain = 100whp
Taylor MD: Stock = 220whp, Modded = 380whp, gain = 160whp

You can see how that would cause issues, yah?
Sorry didnt see this post, but you would understand at 445 with 121 trap speeds with stock clutch aint bad! I have sevral witness's on here too. But maybe its just werd to me, but the 2nd to last car to go on the dyno had hks catback, aem intake, stock boost with pill remove (21 back to 16) my tune only made 338 on our md. what i cant figure out is how taylors car made so much but maybe im wrong by saying hes got a beast compared to the other 4 evo 9's that showed up that day???? But if you read my posts correctly you will see that i did say this dyno does read higher than buschurs! so if his gain 100 with these little mods then good is what i say! I never tried to mis-lead taylor or anyone who dynoed saturday by telling them this dyno spits out low numbers, the only thing i ever said is that Mustang Dyno's are the best tuning device in the world!
Old May 13, 2008, 02:08 PM
Evolving Member

On the same dyno I was going 91/115mph with 366whp in an SSL Evo. That clutch won't last long though if launched some.
haha rofl another trap spped like it should be.
Old May 13, 2008, 04:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by blowoffsilver
Sorry didnt see this post, but you would understand at 445 with 121 trap speeds with stock clutch aint bad! I have sevral witness's on here too. But maybe its just werd to me, but the 2nd to last car to go on the dyno had hks catback, aem intake, stock boost with pill remove (21 back to 16) my tune only made 338 on our md. what i cant figure out is how taylors car made so much but maybe im wrong by saying hes got a beast compared to the other 4 evo 9's that showed up that day???? But if you read my posts correctly you will see that i did say this dyno does read higher than buschurs! so if his gain 100 with these little mods then good is what i say! I never tried to mis-lead taylor or anyone who dynoed saturday by telling them this dyno spits out low numbers, the only thing i ever said is that Mustang Dyno's are the best tuning device in the world!
that's my entire point, which I have repeated 3-4 times. You did not give this information until post #51, so how can you complain that people flamed the thread up until that point? these cars would never make near those numbers on a normal Mustang Dyno, and now that we know the scale of the dyno you use, everything is fine and dandy. You have to realize how it can cause confusion when someone comes on and claims 378whp with so few mods without ANY context explaining how the dyno reads MUCH differently than any others like it, right? That's my point, and I never flamed.

No, 121 isn't impressive for 445whp even on a Dynojet much less a Mustang Dyno. If the clutch held for the dyno run, then it would hold even more on the drag run, because there is less load (high rpm = lower torque).
Old May 13, 2008, 04:30 PM
Evolved Member

There is nothing more pathetic than a n00b trying "educate" a veteran.
Old May 13, 2008, 04:46 PM
Evolved Member

lol @ this thread.

Hate I had to work on the dyno day.

Quick Reply: Making 380WHP with $635