Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Gearbox Problem?

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2008, 05:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gearbox Problem?

I have a strange problem on my wifes car not my evo

Problem is that its hard to put in gears when the car is cold, have first tested Quakerstate quadrolube gearbox oil gl4/gl5, because a mecanic told me that they often put that in cars who have gearbox problem in their workshop.

I had that oil in my old evo, and there it worked great but on my wifes car i get another strange problem with that oil in the car, sometimes the car sticks in first gear when im trying to go from first gear to neutral i have the clutch pedal pushed to the ground and tries to release it half the way and then pushed it one more time to the buttom, but the gear stick is stuck on first gear. This happend often when i was parking my wifes car in the garage and tried to put in neutral gear.

I dont wanna use heavy force to put the car into neutral so the only thing i can do when it happens was to turn on the car, then is goes easy to neutral, if i then start the car then put in the first gear again and tries to go to neutral one more time it goes without any problem at all very strange!?..

But that problem seems to have solved now when i changed to Redline mt90 havent had any problem with stick gear since that, but another problem now is that its hard to put in gears when the car is cold it gets better when the car is warm but its annoying as hell when my wife is the user of this car.

With Quakerstate Qudrolube it was much easier to put in gears when the car is cold but the stick problem really got me mad, and then i had read that gearbox oil with gl4/gl5 could bring problem with gearboxes on evo cars so i tried a straight gl4 oil Redline mt90.

If i want the car to be easy to shift when its cold should i mix Redline mt90 with Redline mtl to get better result, searched and find that they do that sometimes.

Or should a try a whole different oil?

The biggest evo tuner where i live only uses motul oil in the car he tunes, so he of course suggest that oil.

But does anyone in here have any other suggestions on gearbox oil who works better then Redline mt90 when the car is cold.

The car is a Galant vr4 (manual) 1997 twin turbo same gearbox as in evo 4 they say with AYC.

Gearbox code (w5m51)

Have asked on vr4 forums but didnt get any good answer.

Regards Michael