Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Turbo Kit Choices!

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2008, 11:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo Kit Choices!

I am looking to buy a turbo kit sometime in the future but want to do my homework first.

My power goal is 500awhp, but my car needs to remain daily drivable, a later spool is understandable and acceptable, but Id like to be driving a very powerful sedan, not an ALMS car... The car needs to be able to tolerate a little stop and go.

I am open to any opinions and actually would like to hear them, but the kits I think look like good bets for quick spool and good power are the following,

-ETS Twin-scroll HTA35r (HTA37r?) w/ ETS 4" intercooler
-Full-Race Twin-scroll 35r (37r?) w/ included 3" verticle flow intercooler
-Wait for the AMS GT850R?

There are so many kit choices out there between size of turbo, HTA option, Twin-scroll, manufacturer...

I really am looking for what kit can give me good spool and a top end of 500awhp. Price is absolutely a consideration and these two aforementioned products are not inexpensive, but I realize that you get what you pay for and quality costs something. I have no brand loyalty but I do have some Buschur products that I am happy with, I am located near to AMS, and I have heard great things about Tom at ETS. So let me hear what you all think!

In addition as my car is not built and not ready to accept this kind of power boost, what are the other necessary modifications I need? I know I need an intercooler and piping (I would likely buy this from the company that I plan to buy the turbo kit from), boost controller (I was looking at the AEM digital guage/ boost controller, good idea?), cams, new clutch, fuel pump (single or twin walbro for this power?), and I am going the way of AMS for inital and repeat tuning given their reputation and location. My main question is will I need to replace any engine internals such as new pistions/ rods/ crank? Opinions on any of these parts would be welcome as well.

I know that was a whole bunch of crap to read over but any question in there that anyone can answer would be much appreciated! Im hoping I can absorb a little knowledge on this upgrading process from the community.

Thanks!!!

(Same thread is in Turbo/ Drivetrain segment)

Last edited by Protostar1; May 14, 2008 at 11:43 PM.
Old May 14, 2008, 11:46 PM
Evolved Member

If you shoot tom from ETS a PM, he will give you all straight forward answers and let you know whats the best, and if they (ETS) cant offer it, he will send you to someone who can.

Goodluck!
Old May 15, 2008, 11:50 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Protostar1
I am looking to buy a turbo kit sometime in the future but want to do my homework first. My power goal is 500awhp, but my car needs to remain daily drivable...I really am looking for what kit can give me good spool and a top end of 500awhp.

our twinscroll T4 GT35R (std not hta) is exactly what i recommend for you. We've seen excellent results from this and in my opinion its the perfect turbo for a street car that needs up to 500whp. Combined with a reasonably aggressive camshaft with springs/retainers (i really like tomei, hks and jun) i think you would be very happy. If you have any specific questions feel free to email me at geoff@full-race.com and ill be happy to help
Old May 15, 2008, 05:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
+1 on contacting ETS.Send Tom a pm and he will help you decide which setup is the best for you.
Old May 15, 2008, 05:54 PM
Evolving Member

ets or dtm you cant go wrong
Old May 15, 2008, 07:20 PM
Evolved Member

howa bout a 30r.....my buddy is running one and is at about 522awhp as a daily driver....jsut an option....somone on here just did a 30r also i belive and dynoed at 527 or something look around
Old May 15, 2008, 07:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvoDom
howa bout a 30r.....my buddy is running one and is at about 522awhp as a daily driver....jsut an option....somone on here just did a 30r also i belive and dynoed at 527 or something look around
what were the supporting mods? and was this race gas or 93 with meth?
Old May 15, 2008, 11:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoDom
I have the same question... what sort of work was required to get to that figure?
Old May 16, 2008, 08:29 AM
Evolving Member

Wow, makes me wanna get rid of my green. Supporting mods pleasssseee..... And what kind of kit, etc?
Old May 16, 2008, 08:34 AM
Evolved Member

Why would you start 2 threads same subject, same day???

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=345571
Old May 16, 2008, 08:37 AM
Evolving Member

I am actually in the market for a FP green. Now im thinking, should just get the 35r or not.
Old May 16, 2008, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by zbomb
Why would you start 2 threads same subject, same day???

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=345571
I did not know where this thread would be appropriate (they are not just on the same subject they are IDENTICAL). If you read the responses, there are differences, as no one mentioned using a 30r on the other thread.

Thank you for your input on the other thread but I am not sure what required you to essentially inform me that I had set up 2 threads, as I am sure the resoning for asking this question was not getting it answered. If your response does not contain information about turbo kits, leave it off! Thanks!
Old May 16, 2008, 10:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
I did not know where this thread would be appropriate (they are not just on the same subject they are IDENTICAL). If you read the responses, there are differences, as no one mentioned using a 30r on the other thread.

Thank you for your input on the other thread but I am not sure what required you to essentially inform me that I had set up 2 threads, as I am sure the resoning for asking this question was not getting it answered. If your response does not contain information about turbo kits, leave it off! Thanks!
He brought it up because it's a EvoM rule:

16. No cross posting allowed. Do not copy the text from your new thread to another thread in a different forum. You may copy the link to your first thread and post that in another forum if you feel that the topic is related. The goal is to prevent two discussions on the same topic at the same time.
Old May 16, 2008, 10:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TeStUdO
He brought it up because it's a EvoM rule:

16. No cross posting allowed. Do not copy the text from your new thread to another thread in a different forum. You may copy the link to your first thread and post that in another forum if you feel that the topic is related. The goal is to prevent two discussions on the same topic at the same time.
Thank You^^

It's my first rodeo...Sorry if I offended the OP. I love new guys, Maybe instead of asking the ? or providing any opinion in your other thread I just should have said to do 2 mins of searching...I don't think your the first to ask the question. You just felt the need to ask it twice.

Last edited by zbomb; May 16, 2008 at 10:48 AM.
Old May 16, 2008, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

I don't think I can close my own thread, as such, admins feel free to dump this one.

As for zbomb, I was unaware of the rule, clearly, and instead of being an a**hole you might have mentioned that to being with. If you have too much freetime (which seems obvious) you can fill it with increased masturbation or maybe a job! Again, thanks for all of your valuable input.

Quick Reply: Turbo Kit Choices!