Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Shep transfer case

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2008, 10:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I used the shockproof in one of my tranny's . At rebuild time I found the stuff is a very bad idea. The solids in the fluid dont stay in suspension. The solids end up filling and clogging oil ways in the tranny. The t-case doesnt have these small oil ways so its not a problem in that regaurd. But it looses it solids quickly as the centrifugal force sends the solids to other nooks and crannies were it does no good. How good the oil is without the solids is anybodies guess.
Old May 15, 2008, 11:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You're questioning John Shepherd. I think you don't deserve the built transfer case, and you should immediately ship it to me.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 03:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 4TUN8
You're questioning John Shepherd. I think you don't deserve the built transfer case, and you should immediately ship it to me.

I never questioned him....I just know that nobody's perfect, but in this case I guess John Shep is lol.

Okay so here's the deal.

I take my car to a local shop in Wichita KS. for an ETS 3.5" anodized black intercooler install (which by the way looks AWESOME) and to send my transfer case to Shep for rebuilt plus put in an LSD.

After over 3 weeks (NOT because of Shep, but because the shop took forever to send it out) I get my car back, start to drive off and IMMEDIATELY hear this loud rumbling noise.

Take it back to the shop, they put it on lift, LOUD noise sounds like something is being thrown around in the tranny/tcase. Show owner says "oh just drive it around over the weekend and if it still makes the noise bring it back"

Well, I did not drive the car as I thought it would be stupid because it's not just gonig to magically fix itself. So I take it back the following business day.
They determine it's a problem with the t-case or tranny, and of course I thought it had to be the t-case since it was the only part changed.

We called Shep and he was nice enough to say "okay send it back and I'll take a look at it". I take my car back to the shop SEVERAL times to only hear them say "bring it back tomorrow we're out of space" So after getting fed up with them not being able to "fit me in" I take my car to another local shop.

They get my car on the lift, and they hear that same loud rumbling noise, so they check the tranny fluid level. The previous shop changed my tranny fluid at the same time they took out my t-case and only put in 2 quarts of fluid. So it was almost a whole quart low. New local shop puts in a quart and rumbling noise goes away almost completely, but there was still a loud noise when driving so they send it off to Shep. Shep gets it and says everything looks good. So he sends it back (no charge by the way). Local shop installs it, still same noise, so new shop says it's got to be a wheel bearing. So they change that out and the noise goes away COMPLETELY. So, after 2 months of no car, and hundreds of dollars later, the noise was coming from the wheel bearing and the tranny fluid being low. When I turned the wheel left and right when driving, the noise was the same no matter what, which is why I guess we didn't think it could be the wheel bearing to start. HOWEVER, my car was PERFECTLY sound going in to the first shop, and they put 2 miles on my car from the time I dropped it off to the time I picked it up. So they obviously drove it and heard the noise but didn't say anything to me thinking maybe I wouldn't notice it or something? So, maybe they drove into a curb in that 2 miles and didn't tell me about it and try to blame it on Shep.

SO, to conclude this ever-going novel, I would like to say THANK YOU to John Shepherd for building an awesome t-case, and for SUPERIOR customer service.