Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

o2 housing install from hell

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2008, 05:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah... i know i know, rub it in.
Old May 17, 2008, 09:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by shuttlegoose
hahha thats crazy you autox with that. im over here crying about a pinhole leak that im afraid could be the end of the universe. I also think i must have messed up my boost controller, cuz its not holding boost for ****. It just flies through the boost gauge and doesn't stop anywhere. I guess ill give cbrd a call and get them to give me new... everything haha. thanks for the help guys, and just to let you know i filled it up with rad fluid and drove the car home today from my buddys house.
if you are running a mbc did you reinstall the vaccume lines correctly? you may need to reverse them.
Old May 17, 2008, 09:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DSMunknown
^ Which is why all Evo owners who are performance-minded should be required to own, maintain, and modify DSMs for at least a few years before having the privilege of driving an Evo.
My DSM has taught me that I am going to be the most **** person when I get my evo :P

Originally Posted by shuttlegoose
yeah... i know i know, rub it in.
He's not really rubbing it in, him like me probably wonders why you had to remove so much to get it out.

Also why are the bolts so hard on an evo to get off, I've never had a problem getting o2 housings of my dsms.
Old May 17, 2008, 10:43 PM
Evolved Member

I never took my radatior out, i did mine and 3 friend evos.. never took everything off?
Old May 17, 2008, 11:08 PM
Evolved Member

i am definitely hire someone to do this for me.
Old May 18, 2008, 01:04 AM
Evolved Member

I think he took his rad out because the how-to thread instructed him to. Hey shuttlegoose, when you read the how-to thread, read the discussion on it also. There is ALOT of details and tips and pointers in the discussion part.
Old May 18, 2008, 01:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The intercooler and piping didn't have to come off is what he was trying to say. It is recommended that the radiator comes out mainly so you don't mess up the fins on the radiator but also your knuckles will thank you too. Taking out the radiator definitely gives you more room if you are a larger person. Only need to undo the licp from the turbo, dp, and intake. The best way to do an 02 housing is taking out the hotside. It is more work but makes the job extremely easy. I have done well over 50 of these. Also to the OP saying you messed up your mbc, you are probably witnessing boost creep. Which 02 housing did you get? Might have to port it a little.
Old May 18, 2008, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by CBRD
JB weld will normally seal..

we always pull the rad, then the turbo (by removing the vband) then we use penetrating oil and an impact to remove them. I dont think we've ever broken a stud on the hotside..

we have some stock evo rads if you need any... and our cool rad.

cb
you know, this is a VERY cool post. thanks, whoever...
Old May 18, 2008, 01:28 PM
Evolved Member

yeah, i already reversed the lines and it still didn't work, i don't think its boost creep because it litterally would hit 30+ pounds if i didn't get off of it when i do. im gonna make an appointment with a shop to get everything taken care of, hopefully the shop can also extract the stud of off the hotside and rethread the other hole thats messed up as well. should i have them try to fix it or should i get a new hotside?
Old May 18, 2008, 01:32 PM
Evolved Member

It is either boost creep or you forgot to put the vacuum hose back on the wastegate. Also you should definitely have all studs fixed. That was you wont have an exhaust leak.
Old May 18, 2008, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

looks like u need to spend another evening working.

take off the hotside, take it and get that broke bolt out. and the messed up threaded one need helicoiled.

For anyone attempting to do an o2 housing... buy some pb blaster spray it on the parts u need to remove i.e. o2 housing bolts and let it sit over night.

as for the o2 sensor, same thing. spray it with pb, let it sit, use some head on the o2 house head and not directly on o2 sensor. That should expand it and help you remove it.. probably need a vice to hold the housing on and use a breaker bar.
Old May 18, 2008, 02:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Guy .... don't feel bad.... no matter how much crap these guys give you what happened was completely normal. Ask anyone who regularly works on all kinds of cars and nearly everyone will tell you they've cross threaded a bolt or snapped one off.

I jacked up the threads on my old 9.8 hotside simply by removing the stud. Not sure how but it happens. As for the broken bolt, I bet 50% of the 03s I work on have the front lower heatshield bolt snapped off. Very common on exhaust parts.
Old May 18, 2008, 02:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jeff_Jeske
Guy .... don't feel bad.... no matter how much crap these guys give you what happened was completely normal. Ask anyone who regularly works on all kinds of cars and nearly everyone will tell you they've cross threaded a bolt or snapped one off.

I jacked up the threads on my old 9.8 hotside simply by removing the stud. Not sure how but it happens. As for the broken bolt, I bet 50% of the 03s I work on have the front lower heatshield bolt snapped off. Very common on exhaust parts.
Nobody here is giving him crap. Anybody who works on cars should know about pb blaster and not to work on a car when it is hot. The op went straight to heating up all the bolts which to me is a last resort.
Old May 18, 2008, 03:28 PM
Evolved Member

yeah i heated it up right away, i was following the how to and i guess that wasn't the right way. i did use pb blaster and i also tried liquid wrench. reading all of the posts now i understand completely that taking off the hotside is the way to go. i appreciate all the help guys.
Old May 18, 2008, 07:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yes +1 for the pb blaster!

Quick Reply: o2 housing install from hell