Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

o2 housing install from hell

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2008, 06:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
o2 housing install from hell

so, lets just say its been about 2 days and i havn't started the car yet. i followed one of the how to's that seemed great, which it was but everything that could have gone wrong happened. So we take off the intake intercooler pips blah blah blah downpipe. We start to take the radiator out and it just doesn't wanna come out, after a few different things we take the fan out and then try which i guess we should have done in the first place. Next comes taking the o2 housing off. So in one of the howto's i heard to use a blow torch and heat of the o2 and the bolts. We did that but the bolts just didn't wanna come out, either that method didn't work, or i just wasn't keeping the heat on long enough. So anyway, we get a few bolts off, i don't even know how, but then the worst happens, one of the bolts in the o2 snaps off and the other half is stuck in the turbo. I try to extract it but i just didn't wanna come out. Next one of the threads in the turbo got destroyed somehow so now the bolt wont thread. We ended up putting a smaller bolt threw and just putting a nut on the other end and impacting that ish on. So after long nights we got everything back in, but oh no! i have a small pin hole leak in my radiator. After a trip to the store i came back with jb weld and applied it to the hole. Do you think it will hold the seal? Whatever i guess, im just upset at how it went down. Let me know what you think about if everything will seal up and if i will have leaks on the o2, if so then i guess im going to need to get that bolt out of the turbo and get it rethreaded, might as well just get a green instead.
Old May 16, 2008, 06:34 PM
Evolving Member

dude let me start here you have a 30 k $ car take the turbo off fix it the right way or get someone to fix it

get a new radiator jb weld might work but could leave you strandend buy that cbrd rad its awesome or a stock replacment you could end up with coolant all over your engine bay
Old May 16, 2008, 06:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
JB weld is not going to hold on the radiator.

People treat 30k Evos like 3k DSMs, go figure. Consider it a learning lesson.
Old May 16, 2008, 07:01 PM

^ Which is why all Evo owners who are performance-minded should be required to own, maintain, and modify DSMs for at least a few years before having the privilege of driving an Evo.
Old May 16, 2008, 07:07 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DSMunknown
^ Which is why all Evo owners who are performance-minded should be required to own, maintain, and modify DSMs for at least a few years before having the privilege of driving an Evo.
+1
Old May 16, 2008, 07:13 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
JB weld will normally seal..

we always pull the rad, then the turbo (by removing the vband) then we use penetrating oil and an impact to remove them. I dont think we've ever broken a stud on the hotside..

we have some stock evo rads if you need any... and our cool rad.

cb
Old May 16, 2008, 07:16 PM
Former Sponsor

I have found that working on your Evo yourself is not much cheaper than bringing it to a reputable performance shop because you are inevitably going to make costly mistakes. For me thats ok because I learn from it. If you are just doing it to try and save a buck you might want to rethink it.

Anyway. Did you pull off the exhaust manifold and then separate the turbo to do the hotside or did you do it on the car? The former is easier to work on. For the future get yourself some PB blaster and hose down rusted bolts before you pull them out. A little lubrication actually makes a world of difference (that's what she said). I wouldn't worry about using slightly smaller bolts, I did it on mine. As long as you have bolts everywhere they are supposed to be and use the stock metal gasket it should hold. If it leaks you just have to pull it out again, second time will be quicker, I can pull my exhaust manifold out in like 10 min now. Sorry about your radiator. Since it's summer time you could run water in it if you really want to see if the JB will hold. Maybe you could get it welded. Cheers.
Old May 16, 2008, 08:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nightwalker
People treat 30k Evos like 3k DSMs, go figure. Consider it a learning lesson.
Originally Posted by DSMunknown
Truth!

I would consider replacing the radiator even if the JB weld allows you to temporarily stop the leak. Replacing it with a stock one or CBRD's would probably be a better bet for the long haul. If that pops... it could put you in a bad situation.
Old May 16, 2008, 10:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, sometimes going the extra mile makes things alot simpler. Doing any kind of work on the turbo, requires pullin it off in order to make the job easier, believe it or not. You think that by leaving it on the car ur savin urself some time. Nope! Save urself the headaches and dont cut corners. If it doesnt get u know, itll definetely get u later. Just my .2 cents btw
Old May 16, 2008, 11:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by zl1560
I have found that working on your Evo yourself is not much cheaper than bringing it to a reputable performance shop because you are inevitably going to make costly mistakes. For me thats ok because I learn from it. If you are just doing it to try and save a buck you might want to rethink it.

Anyway. Did you pull off the exhaust manifold and then separate the turbo to do the hotside or did you do it on the car? The former is easier to work on. For the future get yourself some PB blaster and hose down rusted bolts before you pull them out. A little lubrication actually makes a world of difference (that's what she said). I wouldn't worry about using slightly smaller bolts, I did it on mine. As long as you have bolts everywhere they are supposed to be and use the stock metal gasket it should hold. If it leaks you just have to pull it out again, second time will be quicker, I can pull my exhaust manifold out in like 10 min now. Sorry about your radiator. Since it's summer time you could run water in it if you really want to see if the JB will hold. Maybe you could get it welded. Cheers.
Yep, I've been through those situations. Live and learn buddy .
Old May 16, 2008, 11:28 PM
Evolved Member

Use pb blaster. That is definitely a MUST! Also, it is easier to take off the o2 housing and the hotside in ONE PIECE! Then proceed to remove the bolts holding the o2 housing to the hotside. I use to work on Hondas and had never worked on Mitsubishis before but you just have to use the common knowledge of mechanics. Don't just follow the how-to thread, study it and UNDERSTAND it before attempting it. I agree, do not cut corners, it will come back to bite you in the @ss.
Old May 16, 2008, 11:43 PM
Evolving Member

sorry to hear that....I remember when i changed my o2 housing, it was a PITA...But when i came to the bolts on the housing i sprayed wd40 to all the bolts in generous amounts and let them soak for quite a while...when i was almost done changing everything i dropped a freaking bolt inside the turbo....so i had to undo everything again, and pull the turbo apart...i have nightmares just thinking about...but anyways get everything fixed the right way and good luck.
Old May 17, 2008, 12:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah studs like to break and get stuck in hotside and O2. How-to's should mention that. They also need to mention that all this pain leads to very questionable results and sometimes problems like boost creep, depending on what kind of o2 you got.

JB weld should be fine. I have like 5 holes in my radiator, cause i'm too lazy to remove it each time i swap a turbo, fixed with 5min epoxy. Held at -20 that we get in winter and at 90f in summer ambient temps. I also autox'd the car.
Old May 17, 2008, 04:43 PM
Evolved Member

hahha thats crazy you autox with that. im over here crying about a pinhole leak that im afraid could be the end of the universe. I also think i must have messed up my boost controller, cuz its not holding boost for ****. It just flies through the boost gauge and doesn't stop anywhere. I guess ill give cbrd a call and get them to give me new... everything haha. thanks for the help guys, and just to let you know i filled it up with rad fluid and drove the car home today from my buddys house.
Old May 17, 2008, 05:01 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i am confused why you took so much apart. I have done a few o2 housings, twice by remove the exhaust mani and hotside and once with just removing the o2 housing. Never did we remove the radiator.

Quick Reply: o2 housing install from hell