Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Oil Smells like gas

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2008, 06:36 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2k4EvoVIII
Well personally i would put a wideband on it and see what you are getting. All these people have no idea what they are talking about. Gas will actually break down the oil and you will eventually get bearing damage if it gets bad. There is no reason for gas to be in the oil pan unless you are running extreamly rich or have another problem somewhere else. Specially on stock injectors it just doesnt make sense unless the tune is off.

This is just my opinion believe who you want to believe since everybody seems to be a 63 expert nowdays.. ..

Chris
This advice is spot on! get the wideband, if anything it will serve to eliminate one of the potential causes of your problem.
Old May 18, 2008, 06:37 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Here's an easier way to see if there is gas in your oil- Pull your spark plugs and see if they are wet. If they are, there is gas in your oil and you need to be looking for a cracked piston, which is much more likely than a ring issue.
Old May 19, 2008, 05:12 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks to all who replied. I ordered a wideband today, now could someone tell a good, bad and ugly reading please?
Old May 19, 2008, 05:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by UT_Evo
What is gas made out of? I bet it isn't oil...
was that a joke?

agree with the other point though, your oil should not smell like gas. Used oil doesn't have a pretty smell to it, but it definitely doesn't smell like raw gas.
Old May 19, 2008, 09:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by 2k4EvoVIII
Well personally i would put a wideband on it and see what you are getting. All these people have no idea what they are talking about. Gas will actually break down the oil and you will eventually get bearing damage if it gets bad. There is no reason for gas to be in the oil pan unless you are running extreamly rich or have another problem somewhere else. Specially on stock injectors it just doesnt make sense unless the tune is off.

This is just my opinion believe who you want to believe since everybody seems to be a 63 expert nowdays.. ..

Chris
Chris you are right on about this.

The reason it's bad is because most oils won't let the fuel evaporate, which is what is causing your oil to smell like fuel. When the fuel percentage gets high enough it causes the oil burn, because the flash point in the oil is now much lower than what is specified by the oil company. When your oil gets hot to the temperature that it normally is considered operating temp it burns off, instead of lubricating and cooling your parts. "Why is my oil one quart low?" is a question that is often thought in extreme cases. ...for others its too late because the don't take care of their cars. On the other side of this, most turbo charged cars have some type of fuel saturation. IMO check your AFR's get a retune if necessary. If you want to know the fuel percentage and make a more educated decision send in an oil sample to Blackstone Labs. Good Luck!

Last edited by SWOLN; May 19, 2008 at 09:05 PM.
Old May 19, 2008, 09:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by supercharged
Thanks to all who replied. I ordered a wideband today, now could someone tell a good, bad and ugly reading please?
14.7 is stoich and is good for normal driving low load no boost conditions. If it has been tuned for best gas mileage you can get away with 15.5 in low load no boost conditions. Peak torque is normally around 12.1 to 12.5 and at redline around 11.1-11.5 on pump gas. If you are going to attempt to tune the car yourself please tune to the lower numbers i have given you.

Originally Posted by SWOLN
Chris you are right on about this.

The reason it's bad is because most oils won't let the fuel evaporate, which is what is causing your oil to smell like fuel. When the fuel percentage gets high enough it causes the oil burn, because the flash point in the oil is now much lower than what is specified by the oil company. When your oil gets hot to the temperature that it normally is considered operating temp it burns off, instead of lubricating and cooling your parts. "Why is my oil one quart low?" is a question that is often thought in extreme cases. ...for others its too late because the don't take care of their cars. On the other side of this, most turbo charged cars have some type of fuel saturation. IMO check your AFR's get a retune if necessary. If you want to know the fuel percentage and make a more educated decision send in an oil sample to Blackstone Labs. Good Luck!
Thanks for the better description of why this is not a good situation. You hit the nail on the head.
Old May 20, 2008, 05:52 AM

from what i hear mobile 1 doesn't combat fuel dilution very well. i read the best for that is pennzoil platinum. just my 2 cents.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 03:24 PM

I got the same issue with my evo, I just look at my oil yesterday when I came off of leave
Old Dec 15, 2014, 11:09 AM

This happened with my 3G eclipse. I was running Subie sti injectors and was letting the car run before I had it tuned.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 01:46 PM

So a tune should fix it
Old Dec 16, 2014, 10:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Depends on how rich the car is running. It isn't good for too much fuel in your oil, but unfortunately fuel in your oil is just a part of having a boosted car. There will be fuel in your oil even with a healthy running car. I'll try and keep this explanation short because sometimes I can get a little long winded, but here how it goes basically. AFR's are a measure of parts of air to parts of fuel, so 14.7 is 14.7 parts air to every 1 part fuel. So when your car drops to 11.5 AFR under boost it is dropping to 11.5 parts air to every 1 part fuel (much more fuel). This sounds bad but in reality it is necessary because even though you will have a massive intercooler and the most efficient heat exchange across that and the piping the act of compressing the air will create heat, further exacerbated by the fact that the exhaust gasses are being harnessed to do that right next to your compressor side. To combat this the AFR's are enriched so that there is more unburnt fuel in the cylinder (because 14.7 is the ratio at which the fuel and air is burnt most efficiently) after the combustion cycle. This unburnt fuel washed down the cylinder walls and ideally evaporates cooling the cylinder walls down preventing pre-ignition (think sweat). But it is a fine line between maximum cooling and too much unburnt fuel. If the unburnt fuel does not completely evaporate then it will wash past the piston rings and into your oil because it is less viscous than oil. Another thing that needs to be considered is the length of your common drives in the car. If your car is primarily used to drive to the corner store or your work is close enough to your house that the car never really makes it up to full operating temperature this will make thing worse as the cylinder walls don't experience enough heat soak so the unburnt fuel won't evaporate as efficiently as it would if the car was at full operating temperature, where the car is most likely tuned. This will cause more fuel to wash down the cylinder walls into the oil on a tune that would otherwise be perfectly good. So long story short, on a boosted engine it is common to have "some" fuel in your oil, but too much is a bad thing as it degrades your oils ability to prevent wear. Once you determine what AFR the car is running at you can then determine if your car needs a retune, but if it is hovering around the proper AFR's then your best course of action is to increase your oil change intervals, as a tune can only bring you so close to stoich under boost before the whole cycle creates too much heat and you start experiencing pre-detonation.

Last edited by jason42003; Dec 16, 2014 at 10:54 PM.