Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Anyone use Jack's Transmissions???

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2009, 09:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Zeus
How many of you guys went with the taper bearing setup? Thoughts?

DONT DO IT! I went to shep after this cause I did the tapered bearings with Jack. They DO NOT GET ADEQUATE OILING and the tranny will shift very hard and be very notchy FYI DO NOT DO TAPERED ROLLER BEARINGS!

Suman
Old Feb 5, 2009, 05:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Aside from the bearings and the little longer lead time, has anyone else experienced any negative issues? I am in the process of sending my tranny/xfercase to someone and am seriously considering this company.
Old Feb 5, 2009, 06:07 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by highhats
DONT DO IT! I went to shep after this cause I did the tapered bearings with Jack. They DO NOT GET ADEQUATE OILING and the tranny will shift very hard and be very notchy FYI DO NOT DO TAPERED ROLLER BEARINGS!

Suman

So did you give them the chance to make it right? Also, are you sure the notchy shifting was not due to a warped clutch plate? That is THE most common problem associated once an Evo tranny has been removed. If you don't REALLY know what you are doing, only a little deflection stabbing it can kill the plate and any hopes EVER of that clutch allowing smooth shifting!
Old Feb 5, 2009, 07:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Zeus
So did you give them the chance to make it right? Also, are you sure the notchy shifting was not due to a warped clutch plate? That is THE most common problem associated once an Evo tranny has been removed. If you don't REALLY know what you are doing, only a little deflection stabbing it can kill the plate and any hopes EVER of that clutch allowing smooth shifting!

Seriously with all the wait I did for the jacks tranny, I didnt even think about waiting again. I drove a one week turn around shep trans at ICS performance and I bought it couple days later. Shep himself told me the notchyness was due to the tapered roller bearings not getting enough oil. Shep is the only way to go in my opinion he does way more to the trans then just a rebuilt to bulletins. If tapered roller bearings were the way to go then shep would be using them.

Suman

I cant comment on a non taper bearing rebuild Im sure they are the same as oem but I know shep modifies the oil system and the buttery feeling of the next guys tranny is all I needed to go to Shep. He had me a tranny in 4 days.

PS brand new carbonetic clutch and shifts perfect no issues with other trans I had 3 diff clutches and all had issues with the Jack trans Changing trans fixed issue!

Last edited by highhats; Feb 5, 2009 at 07:09 PM.
Old Feb 5, 2009, 07:11 PM
Evolving Member

I went with the tapered bearing upgrade and it feels nice and smooth with my tranny!!!
Old Feb 5, 2009, 07:17 PM
Evolved Member

Suman
Wow! Is all I have to say...

-E
Old Feb 5, 2009, 07:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Wicked E
Wow! Is all I have to say...

-E

Just my IMO gentlemen! I had a bad experience hopefully it was a single transmission but if you look up the tapered roller bearing option on his site, why does jack have to defend myths? if people arent having issues why are there explanations to every issue I had? Good luck but I will alwyas stand behind shep after what I went through.
Old Feb 6, 2009, 12:30 PM
Former Sponsor

Just my IMO gentlemen! I had a bad experience hopefully it was a single transmission but if you look up the tapered roller bearing option on his site, why does jack have to defend myths? if people arent having issues why are there explanations to every issue I had? Good luck but I will alwyas stand behind shep after what I went through.
I think the problem lies with that you never gave Jack the chance to help you with the situation. In case you missed some of the posts in this thread Jack stands behind his work 100%.

Sure it is much easier for us local guys (Jack is located in CO Springs, CO) to deal with Jack personally then it would be from out of state. If there is something wrong with your tranny and it's his fault he usually fixes it for you if you take your EVO/DSM to him. I understand it is tough for some people to do that because they are not local. Sometimes people need to learn to be patient as it can be difficult to get a hold of most of these parts to rebuild and upgrade these tranny's.

I have personally installed well over a dozen of his built tranny's & t-cases into Evo's & DSM's and keep one of his built Evo tranny's in stock most of the time. I have one of his built tranny's with the tapered roller bearing upgrade in my Silver Evo that has run numerous 10's @ 5400ft elevation laying down 800whp with NO PROBLEMS!
Old Feb 6, 2009, 12:52 PM
Evolving Member

wasnt worth dishing out shipping on my side for a 2 week wait. Went to the best and Im happy! its a rebuild not a rerebuild
Old Feb 6, 2009, 04:05 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wasnt worth dishing out shipping on my side for a 2 week wait. Went to the best and Im happy! its a rebuild not a rerebuild
Careful... you still don't have a clue who the best is as your experience is only with two vendors... one you DID NOT give a chance to fix the issue!!!

For what it's worth, I went with TRE a few years back because Jon was more than happy answering ALL of my questions when Shep didn't, and seemed too busy for a customer. So it's all relative!!!

So who ELSE has had personal experience with the taper bearings.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 06:31 PM
Evolving Member

Almost a year later, lets bring this thread back from the grave. Anyone with more jack experience and or shep or tre as well? Lets hear em.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Just buy shep, jebus lol.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 08:56 PM

I had Jack's build my Talon's trans. So far it has held up to 12psi launches on Hoosiers and shifts great at 8.5k rpm with a single disc clutch. Jack also went the extra mile when I broke a shift rail that was my fault. He also has the best price on Diaqueen you will ever find. I would recommend him to anyone.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 09:09 PM
Evolved Member

I have his full tranny build and tcase w/ diff build in my Evo which DOES have the tapered roller bearing options as well. My **** shifts like butter even at 9k rpm's and i am very happy with it so far. I cannot wait until the tracks open back up.

I also have a basic build on one of my DD DSM's and am happy with it as well.

I would highly recommend Jack, and he is local too so that is a big plus. Good luck.

Aaron
Old Jan 15, 2010, 11:19 AM
Evolved Member

As for me I still have my tranny and it still works fine. A few others have sold their Evo's so they don't be commenting on this thread.

As I read through this I also believe I have the tappered roller bearings. As far as I know the last thing I heard about Jacks was that he was getting bigger and moving into other areas of development.

He is on our local Evo forum occasionally coloradoevo.com

He usually works later in the afternoon to late evening. He's a night owl.

Quick Reply: Anyone use Jack's Transmissions???