Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Pre Lube Tank for Proper Engine Oiling

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2008, 11:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pre Lube Tank for Proper Engine Oiling

I just picked up my 2.3L Shortblock from Jackson and they state that "The Use of a Pre-Lube Tank is the only way to properly prime the entire engine. DO NOT FALSE START OR FALSE CRANK your engine to prime, this will not work and will seriously damage the engines components".

First of all I have been a part of many engine builds and have never seen or heard of a pre lube tank before reading Jacksons instructions on starting the engine for the first time.

My concern is that I don't think most shops use a pre lube tank, because searching here gave me 0 results; awfully rare.

Also, not following Jacksons instructions will void the warranty on it, not something ideal after paying $3500 for a shortblock because a shop is too lazy to do the job properly. They are masters of the 4G63 and any instruction they give me should be followed to the T.

Help?
Old May 20, 2008, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Im also going through the process. Will be godo to know. Subscribed.
Old May 20, 2008, 11:55 AM
Evolved Member

Like I mentioned earlier I have seen alot of motor builds, and they all seem to work great and make a ton of power. However, I have not been around long enough to see built motors stand the test of 100,000 miles at 500whp. This is what I expect from my block and it seems that it will be hard to do so without properly lubricating the engine not only the first time but with an engine pre lube system which works everytime the car is started.
Old May 21, 2008, 02:14 PM
Evolved Member

bump for help? come on guys 8000 threads on launch RPM and not 1 person knows how to properly lubricate a motor?
Old May 21, 2008, 02:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JordanS4
bump for help? come on guys 8000 threads on launch RPM and not 1 person knows how to properly lubricate a motor?
I've never heard of a pre-lube tank, I haven't even seen it on JAMs website?
Old May 21, 2008, 02:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by juice_evo_VII
I've never heard of a pre-lube tank, I haven't even seen it on JAMs website?
Like I said it's in the instructions that come with the block, which must be followed for proper lubrication. I'll scan it later tonight and post it up (on iPhone now)
Old May 21, 2008, 02:32 PM
Evolving Member

Like I said it's in the instructions that come with the block, which must be followed for proper lubrication. I'll scan it later tonight and post it up (on iPhone now)
Thats wak, if they require it shouldn't they sell it? CARMELAAAAAA, Where ya at?
Old May 21, 2008, 02:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by juice_evo_VII
Thats wak, if they require it shouldn't they sell it? CARMELAAAAAA, Where ya at?
I'm going to give Carmela a call which is the most obvious way to get an answer, but even if they sell it that just means I'll have to pay for it to have my motor started right when it should just be as common in a shop as a torque wrench (so it seems )
Old May 21, 2008, 02:37 PM
Evolving Member

I'm going to give Carmela a call which is the most obvious way to get an answer, but even if they sell it that just means I'll have to pay for it to have my motor started right when it should just be as common in a shop as a torque wrench (so it seems )
http://www.autoenginelube.com/ Seems expensive bro. I realize its saving the engine though
Old May 21, 2008, 02:38 PM
Evolved Member

First off as you know JAM is a true machine shop and not just any shop that sends out the block to get bored out then sent back for the building process.

All vendors are not the same.

AMS has a pdf on how to break in a motor and a few others will send you a sheet a on how to break there motors in i beleave cosworth is the same way.

And besides if you blow a motor unless it was built and tune by the shop that did all your work they wont replace your parts they will say its your fault and not pay out. Unless you get a lawyer that knows his **** and will get you a new motor plus some.
Old May 21, 2008, 02:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jmartinez1170
First off as you know JAM is a true machine shop and not just any shop that sends out the block to get bored out then sent back for the building process.

All vendors are not the same.

AMS has a pdf on how to break in a motor and a few others will send you a sheet a on how to break there motors in i beleave cosworth is the same way.

And besides if you blow a motor unless it was built and tune by the shop that did all your work they wont replace your parts they will say its your fault and not pay out. Unless you get a lawyer that knows his **** and will get you a new motor plus some.
JAM is a very honorable shop and will stand by their word. I understand full well the services they provide. If the motor were to unfortunately blow it is quite possible to diagnose why and who was at fault. Anyways I'm not looking at how to break a motor in, but how to prepare it for turning over the first time and every time after that.
Old May 21, 2008, 02:45 PM
Evolved Member

Everyone i know uses that redline stuff i forgot what its called it seems to work great.
Old May 21, 2008, 07:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jmartinez1170
Everyone i know uses that redline stuff i forgot what its called it seems to work great.
Since you don't seem to understand what I'm asking I will re-iterate. Before starting the motor for the first time, Jackson reccomends using a pre-lube tank, something that fills/coats the oil pump, bearings, crankcase, etc...all the way up to the head with oil. No damage is incurred to vital engine components because everything is already properly lubricated before any parts begin to move and wear.

I am not concerned with which brand of oil to use for break in, how to do so, or anything like that. I want to know why JAM is the only company I have ever heard of to instruct the customer to use this process before starting the motor. I am asking people like DB, Martin @ AMS, etc... to tell me if they just pour oil in and start it for the first time like I see most people do, or actually take the time to pre lube the motor.

Get it?
Old May 21, 2008, 07:46 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Buschur Racing motors dont require prelubing anything or even cranking with cam sensor off etc.. 900+whp for months now w/o any issues.. I have never heard of this process and i would say the true master of the 4g63 is Dave Buschur..
Old May 21, 2008, 07:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mike@AwdMotorsports
Buschur Racing motors dont require prelubing anything or even cranking with cam sensor off etc.. 900+whp for months now w/o any issues.. I have never heard of this process and i would say the true master of the 4g63 is Dave Buschur..
I would have to agree. I have never heard of this but since it came up i did a search and found a kit for a couple hundred bucks. It prelubes the engine and turbo soon as the key is turned on. Seems like a good idea but i personally dont believe it is needed otherwise Buschur would have said to get one and/or they would come from the factory.

BTW: Here is a link for you.
http://www.autoenginelube.com/

Chris

Quick Reply: Pre Lube Tank for Proper Engine Oiling