Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Baffled muffler so the cops will shut up?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2008, 04:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've been pulled over twice in MA for this issue, one indirectly (gave me a warning for inspection sticker being out and said "if I wanted to be a dick, I would write you up for your exhaust, too"....apparently MA just passed a new ordinance for modified exhausts: http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/90-16.htm

I have the baffle installed, but I think it's starting to get louder after putting 2400 highway miles on it a month, had it for 4 months.

Looking to buy an aftermarket baffle for it...was debating getting either the header baffle or the exhaust baffle from Jegs...

Anyone else have any experience/recommendations with aftermarket baffles?
Old Oct 1, 2008, 09:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Ok here is the scoop.

Fujitsubo tapers so you will lose HP.

For quiet 3" straight flow through with no tapers here is your options:

Cobb: But some had issues with resonator welds cracking. Mine did and I had to get it welded. Otherwise perfect fitment very nice looking exhaust that can pas as a stocker visually.

RRE: Also quiet exhaust painted black to resemble stock look. But most that I have seen are not stainless steel and have surface rust. I dont know if they offer stainless version.

Your last choice is to buy a straight flow through muffler, not a baffled one. Baffled mufflers will rob HP, straight flow through will not rob any HP and if it does make a difference it will only be something minute like 1-3 HP. Have an exhaust shop weld it in and you should be good. Just make sure you get the largest that will fit, I'm guessing around 21 inches?

Oh and most important make sure its a widebody muffler not round. Wide body mufflers have more room for sound deadening material and can quiet down more because of that. Its widebody/oval or nothing dont waste money on round mufflers.

PS Resonators wont make a huge difference in sound. They mostly change the tone or get rid of raspiness and are not huge sound suppressors.
Old Oct 2, 2008, 05:06 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if you have a megan exhaust, they make a muffler with a silencer...just a thought
Old Oct 2, 2008, 07:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you could try painting your whole exhaust system black so that is stealthy looking. you could try that first.
Old Oct 2, 2008, 08:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
+^+add perforated resonator so it will not hinder flow and quiet it down. If not get a stock looking exhuast (OVAL w/ resonator)
Old Oct 2, 2008, 06:40 PM

Mine cracked but I got it replaced by COBB...very good customer service. Thanks Law.

Originally Posted by BluEVOIX
Ok here is the scoop.

Cobb: But some had issues with resonator welds cracking. Mine did and I had to get it welded. Otherwise perfect fitment very nice looking exhaust that can pas as a stocker visually.
Old Oct 2, 2008, 06:41 PM
Evolved Member

yea i have a cobb exhaust i have never gotten stopped or anything ppl think its stock.......... no cops will give you trouble either unless you rev your engine to 5000rpms when your right by a cop
Old Oct 2, 2008, 08:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by andrewzaragoza
you could try painting your whole exhaust system black so that is stealthy looking. you could try that first.
Interesting idea, at least for the exhaust tip that's visible from a distance

...I'm going to try the 4" baffle cones first and see what that does for sound. I'm not a big fan of the loud exhaust on a 4-banger anyway...kind of silly

I'll be ordering the Jeg's deal tomorrow, I'll let you know the sound difference once I install... maybe even give a before and after noise comparison with sound files...
Old Oct 2, 2008, 08:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm painting my entire AMS 50 trim's 3" TBE flat black.....

just pick up some flat black, hi temp BBQ spray paint from Home depot and spray away........it makes everything look stealthy, especially if someone looks underneath the car....
Old Oct 9, 2008, 10:48 AM
Evolved Member

Just bought one of the muffler cones from JEGS, and they only offer up to 2dB of noise reduction:-/ Still not enough to keep the fuzz off. I'm going to try to modify the existing resonator with the cone and see if that offers enough to kill some noise...

If anyone's got better suggestions, I'm all for it. At this stage, if this still gets me pulled over, I'm just going to have to get a different muffler:-/ Or install the factory baffle deal back inline after the cat...
Old Oct 9, 2008, 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

Heh, if you've got money, these look like the best bet: http://www.livorsi.com/catalog/CMI%20Mufflers.htm
Old Oct 10, 2008, 02:19 AM
Evolved Member

so i have this idea, as the stock exhaust had that little secondary baffle/minimuffler deal. Would it be worth it to put a secondary racing exhaust inline after the cat? Something that's basically just a smaller muffler to deaden the sound a bit without sacrificing too much? I mean, the new system with the headers has increased the flow tremendously with the increased diameter of the piping...and I'm planning on staying NA with the OZ....I'm looking at these three models, what's the consensus?
Bassani Stainless 17"
Mac Flowpath Stainless 13"
Aero Stainless 14"
Old Apr 20, 2009, 11:37 PM
Evolving Member

or run a downpipe and have the rest stock BUT leave the downpipe wide open and disconected from the cat
Old Apr 22, 2009, 06:48 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by evo9ben
or run a downpipe and have the rest stock BUT leave the downpipe wide open and disconected from the cat
He could not get away with that. Not only will the fuzz by all over him. I am pretty sure he would lose his mind with the sound. Before I sold him the car I ran an open DP for 2 days because I needed some custom work done. Let me tell you it is not humanly possible to Daily drive it like that. The car sounds like a Jet. I literally had to wear ear plugs while driving around.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 06:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
In support of "earth day" you can decide on purchacing a WG dump, not only will the cops leave you alone, when you need flow the most (as WG opens) the pressure will dump and maximize HP. Meanwhile the exhaust can be stockish

Quick Reply: Baffled muffler so the cops will shut up?