Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Baffled muffler so the cops will shut up?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2009, 12:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i just added a Bassani racing muffler where the old in-line baffle was after the cat, and modified my resonator to give a bit more baffle. My brother f'd up the weld on the resonator and it looks like crap (more mods to come, unfortunatel)...but the mods DID provide me with an additional 20db sound reduction over open exhaust (no resonator). I was running about 96db open, 86db with resonator, and now low 70s with the Bassani Muffler installed inline. I've noticed NO change in power (then again, not turboed) and the sound is more rounded and less raspy.

While some cops might be douches and pull you over for the looks of the exhaust, in reality if it's not loud enough to get their attention you should be fine. And another piece of advice, drive the speed limit. There are a LOT of import gangs around my area, and they definitely mod with no abandon...as long as your car doesn't scream "F U" to the cops they tend to leave you alone.

I used to get pulled over every month or two for my exhaust, and just on general principle if I was more than 5mph over the speed limit on the highway (thanks to my Evo hood my Seibon, the vents attract a LOT of attention). Now that I modded the exhaust and keep the RPMs lower by reducing my speed, I haven't been messed with in almost 4 months. And I drive 2 hours a day in State Cop territory...pass 4 cruisers each way in my commute. And at least 2 locals in the morning, and two at night.

It requires some cutting with a sawzall (get a nice blade if you're dealing with stainless) and some welding (make sure you get the right gas mixture for stainless)...but I had it done in a few hours. Definitely worth the mod.

Only because of my bro's f"up I'm going to have to mod the tip of my muffler....Thinking of one of those clamp-on 4" inlet to 5" outlet exhaust tips I've seen for like $70....cut off the old tip and baffle, and put the new one on. If it's any louder than I had it, I'll have to retrofit a new resonator in it.

I measured all sound values as California does: decibel meter at a 45 degree angle, no more than 2 feet from the rear of the exhaust. I couldn't measure under load, but I had a friend rev it to redline both slowly and quickly and took the higher of the sound readings with all mods....
Old Oct 18, 2010, 02:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Ph3n1x
You can drive with the car off an they will still stop you for anything that looks aftermarket. Cops are dicks.

This is the KEY here, looks. Once I changed out the muffler to a smaller 2.5" tip, I'm not getting hassled anymore. The large 4.5" tip was making the cops pop wood when they saw me coming.

Did this early spring, haven't been pulled over or tailgated since.

Last edited by jwick76; Oct 18, 2010 at 02:08 PM.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 09:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
get the midpipe resonated and if that doesn't work, get a high flow cat. That way the cops can't give u a ticket for "Not having a cat"
Old Oct 19, 2010, 09:44 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two words: Dynomax VT, just cut your Megan off and have the Dynomax welded in place. No loss in powerabs super quiet except when you really get on it.