Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

6 SPEED OWNERS interested in special tranny fluid?

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2008, 08:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kings Fan
I'm definately interested... the mopar stuff is kinda pricey (like the OEM diaqueen). After changing it to the mopar oil, the tranny does seem to shift smoother. I've been running it for about 5k miles now. The only thing I've noticed is it takes slightly longer to warm up than the OEM oil, and can be notchy in the cold. Once it is warmed up it feels great and buttery smooth. The 1-2 shift is pretty notchy when cold.

Interesting, I wonder if the actual parts within the tranny need to warm up (tolerance changes due to heat or exspantion) for it to shift smooth rather than the type of fluid The Mopar is the same weight range, full synthetic so it should flow better when cold, yet most mention the notchy shifting regardless of fluid when the tranny is cold.

Erik@MIL.SPEC, you mentioned improved shifting. Was this both cold and warmed up, or just warmed up?
Old May 23, 2008, 11:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Exciting News
Interested.

I'd be REALLY interested if you could get Castrol Syntrans. The limited specs available are superior to the Syntorq. Looks like a really good 75W/85.

http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/bp...ans_B13127.pdf
However if you call up Castrol dealers they will tell you it's the same stuff and only called Syntorq for the US Market. I don't know if it's completely true or not though. I'm surprised Altavlet (sp) hasn't found this thread yet. He's been running this stuff for years and got me to try it long time ago. I may try it again because I've been thinking about flushing sometime soon.
Old May 23, 2008, 11:50 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by boostedwrx
However if you call up Castrol dealers they will tell you it's the same stuff and only called Syntorq for the US Market. I don't know if it's completely true or not though. I'm surprised Altavlet (sp) hasn't found this thread yet. He's been running this stuff for years and got me to try it long time ago. I may try it again because I've been thinking about flushing sometime soon.
I am (was) atlvalet

That's why I mentioned of all the people I recommended this fill for (and Hondafan brought it to my attention) you were the only one who reported that it made the feel of the transmission worse.

For the record, I live in California so YMMV. However, almost every morning when I lived in my condo, I would pull out of the parking deck, and then onto the street. The street was long enough to shift into second before the stoplight. Literally, almost like clock work, my transmission would be notchy/grindy going into 2nd. Every morning. On a brand new car with 6,000 miles this didn't make me happy...so I started looking for an alternative. Somewhere along the way someone pm'd me and said the weight of this oil was the same as the OEM fill. So I tried it and loved it.

I can't guarantee everyone else will love it (I'm not trying to sell it as a panacea), however almost everyone who has asked about this and has used it has liked it (excluding boostedwrx ).

Now, being a vendor, I am in a position to "assist" people purchasing this fluid. It's also motivated out of a little self-interest since I don't like paying my local Dodge dealer $22.xx a quart for this stuff. Plus I can sell it in 2.5 quart quantities for 6 speed owners, instead of having to buy a whole container of Super DiaQueen

Based upon the numbers I have gotten from a distributor, I think the price will come out to $17.99 a quart. I may advertise a special for the first 16 gallon container. Price could have been lower, but it has to get shipped freight and it's $124 to get to me

Last edited by Erik@MIL.SPEC; May 23, 2008 at 11:53 PM.
Old May 24, 2008, 12:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^ ah ok lol, makes sense now Atlvalet! And I may have not of ever given it a fair chance either as I only drove it a few times. Like I said I may give it another shot as I want to change my fluids for summer anyhow.
Old May 24, 2008, 01:08 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by rodman
Erik@MIL.SPEC, you mentioned improved shifting. Was this both cold and warmed up, or just warmed up?
For me, both cold and warmed up...but cold for me is like 45*, maybe 40* at the lowest...I don't live in upstate NY anymore

That's why people who live in International Falls, MN and other places may report slightly different findings.
Old May 28, 2008, 11:02 AM
Former Sponsor

UPDATE:

This fluid will be in stock as of June 7th. All interested parties please PM me
Old Jun 7, 2008, 04:22 PM
Former Sponsor

BUMP:

This fluid is now available:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...11#post5749811
Old Apr 16, 2012, 03:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Bumping old thread for more reviews
Old Apr 16, 2012, 03:51 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Chef-j
Bumping old thread for more reviews
I used to sell the Castrol Syntorq LT, but Castrol stopped distributing it. I used Redline 85MTG or MTL or whatever it was/is. It was ok, but not nearly as good as the Castrol. I am going back to using it, but now I have to go to a Dodge dealer to get it and pay out the Wazoo.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 04:01 PM
Evolved Member

Ah gotcha. I guess i call local dealer tommorow. Thx
Old Apr 16, 2012, 04:39 PM
Former Sponsor

Ah gotcha. I guess i call local dealer tommorow. Thx
GM dealer = cheaper than Dodge dealer (It's an OEM Viper fill, so you pay Viper prices at the Dodge dealer).
Old Apr 16, 2012, 04:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Erik@MIL.SPEC
GM dealer = cheaper than Dodge dealer (It's an OEM Viper fill, so you pay Viper prices at the Dodge dealer).
Do they know if i tell them a Castrol Syntorq LT? Or should i go find GM part number. Also, have you try GM syncromesh on evo?
Old Apr 16, 2012, 07:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Do they know if i tell them a Castrol Syntorq LT? Or should i go find GM part number. Also, have you try GM syncromesh on evo?
Randomly came across this. Post was from back in 2007 though.

According to CASTROL:
Message: Here is the response to the inquiry I sent to Castrol USA about where to get Castrol TAF-X in the USA: "Castrol TAF-X 75W-90 GL-4 gear oil is made in the U.K. and sold only in Europe. However, the equivalent in the U.S. is Syntorq LT. Having said that, Syntorq LT SAE 75W-85, API GL -4 is a premium high performance, synthetic gear lubricant for synchronized manual transmissions. The all new "clean slate" approach enables Syntorq LT to provide consistent performance and durability under the most severe operating conditions due to its unique polymer free formula. It has been designed primarily as a problem solving gear lubricant for manual transmissions to provide reduced gearshift effort at low temperatures. Syntorq LT is available through General Motors (Part #12346190) and Chrysler (Part #4637579) dealerships. Please contact your local dealership."
Old Apr 16, 2012, 11:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Thore
Randomly came across this. Post was from back in 2007 though.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 09:54 AM
Former Sponsor

Just to add: It wasn't just formulated to provide low gearshift effort at low temperatures, it was also designed to keep heat down in the gearbox...the NOVI 4500's transmissions had a problem with going *KABOOM* and the Syntorq LT was used to combat this. Kinda like 4th gear in the 6 speed

Quick Reply: 6 SPEED OWNERS interested in special tranny fluid?