Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

can't get clean shifts, exedy twin disc clutch dragging

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2008, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mellon
Initially a few inches off the floor but as it wore it got lower and lower until the pedal would be to the floor and the car would lunge forward when you tried to push it in first gear (dragging) so I adjusted the pedal so that it no longer engaged right off the floor board.
Thanks i'll pass that on to them or will adjust it for them when they come back to the shop!

By the way how's that Tilton do driving around from day to day ie. cold vs warm etc?
Old Oct 30, 2008, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Well my engagement point is still high and nowhere near the floor, but it just got cold and the first day it got cold it was alittle harder to get into 1st..Mabye I just need to change the tranny juice and bleed the system..Still shifts though.
Old Oct 30, 2008, 11:50 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by PATRICK B.
Thanks i'll pass that on to them or will adjust it for them when they come back to the shop!

By the way how's that Tilton do driving around from day to day ie. cold vs warm etc?
The tilton or my transmission one has gotten noisy lately I'm finally getting that box of marbles sound everyone talks about that I've never really had. Driving it daily isn't as easy as the stock clutch but neither was the exedy. These twin discs have their moments that make you look silly at a stop light.
Old Oct 30, 2008, 02:02 PM
Evolved Member

The tilton or my transmission one has gotten noisy lately I'm finally getting that box of marbles sound everyone talks about that I've never really had. Driving it daily isn't as easy as the stock clutch but neither was the exedy. These twin discs have their moments that make you look silly at a stop light.

By chance any add'l noise on decel?
Old Oct 30, 2008, 02:13 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a chatter and sometimes clunking on decel. It has to be those twin discs coming together. Even though all these nuisances I love the clamping force
Old Oct 30, 2008, 03:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know what your talking about - either my tc or tranny would sound like a box of marbles although everyone told me I'm crazy because thats what det sounds like (but if you heard det that bad your engine would be **** up). So anyway, yea - tin can in a blender or marbles in a blender, however you want to describe it.
Old Oct 31, 2008, 07:28 AM
Account Disabled

I'm beginning to wonder if mine is about worn out or if something else is going on, It's locking me out of 4th here and there..funny thing is that other gears are fine and it's not grinding.
Old Oct 31, 2008, 10:28 AM
Evolving Member

I forgot to post a follow-up on my exedy dragging issue. I noticed the shifter wasn't centering correctly and narrowed the problem down to the linkage on the tranny. I took the entire arm off and found the pivot that slides inside the bushing very corroded. I sanded down that pin and put it back together. Since then the shifter centers perfect and the tranny shifts amazing now with hardly any dragging. Nothing changed in the tranny, fluid etc. since the last time. I just need a moment now to put the thing up on 4 jack stands and see if the wheels are engaged when I try to put the car into gear.

Kinda OT based on recent discussion but I wanted to let people know just the same.
Old Oct 31, 2008, 10:37 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by wkehn
I forgot to post a follow-up on my exedy dragging issue. I noticed the shifter wasn't centering correctly and narrowed the problem down to the linkage on the tranny. I took the entire arm off and found the pivot that slides inside the bushing very corroded. I sanded down that pin and put it back together. Since then the shifter centers perfect and the tranny shifts amazing now with hardly any dragging. Nothing changed in the tranny, fluid etc. since the last time. I just need a moment now to put the thing up on 4 jack stands and see if the wheels are engaged when I try to put the car into gear.

Kinda OT based on recent discussion but I wanted to let people know just the same.
good info, thanks for the follow up, I bet you're happy as heck
Old Nov 17, 2008, 05:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by wkehn

I had the same issue with my underhood shifter bushings and I found out that when they were installed (not naming the shop) that they did not put lube on them, got them lubed and it seemed to help out with the shifting for a couple of days then it came back i just havent gotten the time to rip it apart and check it out...
Old Nov 18, 2008, 01:13 PM

what is the best clutch for once and for all solution ?
Old Dec 8, 2008, 09:47 PM
Evolving Member

i have an exedy twin disc.. is it normal when downshifting and easing it into gear and letting out the clutch pedal slowly it makes this what i can describe as a "rubbing sound"... kinda like medel on metal rubbing.... is this bad? lol
Old Dec 9, 2008, 10:54 PM
Evolving Member

anyone?
Old Dec 9, 2008, 11:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Sofa King Fresh
i have an exedy twin disc.. is it normal when downshifting and easing it into gear and letting out the clutch pedal slowly it makes this what i can describe as a "rubbing sound"... kinda like medel on metal rubbing.... is this bad? lol
yeah its normal. i used mine for about 14k and it still makes that sound
Old Mar 5, 2011, 04:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
so is this problem caused by simply wear?
im having the same issue on exedy twin. im debating if i should buy the rebuild kit

Quick Reply: can't get clean shifts, exedy twin disc clutch dragging