Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

can't get clean shifts, exedy twin disc clutch dragging

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2011, 05:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i love how the people saying tilton carbon are the ones with the doe that can shell out that much for it lol.....i wish i had the cash for a tlton carbon
Old Mar 6, 2011, 11:20 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bnr34rb26dett
so is this problem caused by simply wear?
im having the same issue on exedy twin. im debating if i should buy the rebuild kit
best I could tell that was the case with mine, it was just worn out.

Originally Posted by YMCMB
i love how the people saying tilton carbon are the ones with the doe that can shell out that much for it lol.....i wish i had the cash for a tlton carbon
gotta save those pennies! buy yeah they are crazy expensive. The rebuilds are running me about 2000 each year. It's part of racing.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 06:42 AM
Evolved Member

Just read through this entire thread, tons of information here. I seem to be having the same issues as the OP. Also I have had these problems on both my Exedy Twin SD and again when I upgraded the SD to the HD and rebuilt it. I had about 16k miles on my SD and currently have about 16k on my HD.

Essentially I will be sitting at a red light on a slight hill and in neutral I will roll back slowly however if I push the clutch pedal down and throw it into first it clunks and the car doesn't want to move. I have adjusted the pedal out countless times to fix this solution however it seems to come back in a few days. The same thing happens on flat, when I put the car into gear with the pedal down to the floor it'll want to lurch foward a bit and recently I've been having a hard time getting in/out of gear. Its 10x easier to get into gear when the car rolls forward, however when I'm stopped its completely different.

I replaced my clutch about a year ago, hopefully this isn't the case that I need to replace my clutch every year as I will just go ahead and buy a non twin disc setup for my next rebuild.

NOTE: I daily drive my car and my HD clutch setup only has about 7 launches on it in total. The clutch master cylinder was replaced during my last rebuild along with a braided clutch line. The Bleeder pill was removed during the first Exedy SD clutch install.

Last edited by bruce988jl; Mar 21, 2011 at 06:44 AM.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 09:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Good. Read the entire thread too. Now, where is this pill located?
Old Mar 23, 2011, 08:56 PM
Evolving Member

Im also having the first gear clunking issues. I adjusted the pedal in and out to see what happens but not much seems to change. When you guys are adjusting the pedal are you making the engagement point further up in the travel?
Old Mar 23, 2011, 09:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Pirana
Good. Read the entire thread too. Now, where is this pill located?
http://www.evomoto.com/tech_info.php...3c05f479b1ab39

Pretty nice step by step.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 11:12 AM
Account Disabled

bump
Old Jun 19, 2011, 04:05 PM
Evolved Member

installed my twin disc. drove 800 miles without any launches. went to my first track day of the year. after 3 launches something happened..i could not get my car into reverse with the car on. first gear is extremely hard to get into with the car on. however once in gear the car shifts great down the track but once i am in neutral again i can not get into reverse or 1st while the engine is on. After my 3rd hard launch my clutch is toast. The pedal is adjusted all the way out to the point that there are no more exposed threads and the pedal arm is hitting the back of the fuse box. This sucks 3 hard launches and its ****.
side notes: no pill, perfectly bled line. less then 1200 miles and a handfull of launches and the Exedy twin is shot. sucks.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 01:36 AM

Exceedy twin plate

so far i have run about 5 hill climbs / 6 drag events 400 kw atw and still my exceedy is going fine.

i have these thoughts to share.

make sure u align the plates before u attempt to attach gearbox.. metal bends.. and funny enough it does not take much to bend a clutch plate. A clutch plate running true takes very little to disengage.

can be more of a problem overstroking a clutch .

never "dump" the clutch shock loading breaks diffs etc let alone what holds a clutch together.

id like a tripple carbon, but $ is a issue of course.

Theres nothing wrong with a twim plate exceedy if you undertsand and treat them well.

ps . my car is a 10 sec street evo 6.5 so its not like it doesnt get varied in its usage.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 07:11 AM
Account Disabled

gary just tried the exedy triple, it didn't allow powershifts like my twin carbon tilton does. I think he might be going tilton as well so we can take it to 9k+rpm and powershift as needed.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 08:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not getting clean shifts in my Exedy Twin HD anymore as much as I'd like. As stated, I'll adjust the clutch pedal and it works temporarily then starts up again.

How much is it to upgrade the Exedy Twin HD to a Triple Disc? Not the Carbon one?
Old Sep 13, 2011, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by PATRICK B.
Very true with any clutch must become "one" with it

We have 2 customers 1 w/ an evo8 and 1 w/ a 9.

Both have Exedy Twin HD's w/ stock trannies.

Both of the complain about difficulty getting into gears......1st and rev the most problematic.

We've adjusted both a couple times and it seemed to help a bit but they still have quams about it

Mellon where did you have yours adjusted in regards to where the engagement point was.

Really low to the floor or up a bit higher as i've noticed both of theirs are still engaging quite low for my taste but it's hard to compare as my QM is totally diff but even my single disc ACT didn't engage that low (but then again that thing took a crap on me so who knows )
I have read this thread through and through 3 times now. My clutch is doing the same exact thing as you just described here. The previous owner swears that he put new discs in the clutch last year. I still haven't gotten a clear answer? I really don't want to rip my transmission out if that isn't the problem. Did your customers ever fix this issue? The car is fine shifting up when moving. It's getting into first and reverse that is a PITA! It's so hard to get into reverse that I feel like I'm going to break my linkage. Can anyone that found out exactly what their problem was shed any light?
Old Sep 13, 2011, 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

Through my own painful experience I can provide insight and essentially give the final answer for this thread.

The problem is the outer, intermediate plate right before the purple cover. You can destroy this plate through warping with hardly even wearing the clutch discs. I drive my car very hard but my driving technique provides limited wear on a clutch for whatever reason. You can tell buy looking at my disassembled clutches, they never have any discoloration from heat marks like you see with most used exedy's (yellowish purplish plates). This intermediate plate can cause all of the disengagement problems you can think of and it requires a complete R&R'ing of the clutch which is very expensive in labor. You can warp this plate easily as doing one single launch.

I know this because I had all of the problems everyone had here. I have rebuilt my exedy twin HD probably 4 different times and I have never ever had much disc wear at all, just a warped outer intermediate plate.

Bolded to help people sift through the dust.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So if the stock clutch is beautiful with engagement etc., the closest thing to that that can hold 500tq is the twin hd. But then the problems described here really dont have an explanation or real solution. Perhaps a detailed instruction on how to install a clutch properly from someone who has done so with no issues afterwards can chime in. Maybe that will allow for info as to what might be needed to adjust.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 03:27 PM
Evolved Member

There is nothing to adjust and it is not an install error. You read my other post right?

Quick Reply: can't get clean shifts, exedy twin disc clutch dragging