Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

can't get clean shifts, exedy twin disc clutch dragging

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2008, 04:35 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sabastian458
you have your restrictor pill removed from the slave cyl right?
no, it's all stock, from what I've heard...by removing the restrictor pill it'll bang harder on shifts, I'm not looking to do that, I'm fine with the soft shifts.

I ended up buying that new adjustment rod from lancershop...I'll give it a try this weekend because it's getting really bad now even in daily driving where it's dragging badly making it hard to shift...sucks *** right now!

if this doesn't fix it I guess I'll throw in the tilton...I really wanted to wait until I had the engine out for the new shorty/head/cams before I did that.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 05:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mellon
no, it's all stock, from what I've heard...by removing the restrictor pill it'll bang harder on shifts, I'm not looking to do that, I'm fine with the soft shifts...
Seriously?!? I don't know who's been talking to you, but IMO the restrictor pill makes precise shifting much more difficult than it needs to be. Removing the restrictor and replacing the stock rubber hose with a SS clutch line was the first mod I did, and to this day is, IMO, one of the best mods I've done to the car.

If I were you, I'd start asking customers and see if you can drive one that has an Exedy Twin clutch with SS clutch line.

l8r)
Old Jul 2, 2008, 06:18 AM
Account Disabled

The tilton setup comes with a braided line and hydraulic TOB so all of that will become a mute point soon anyway. In the mean time I'll try this extended clutch rod first.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 07:41 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Extended clutch rod is a hoax.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 08:03 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/moot_point

Try the rod anyways, see if it helps. Easy enough to do
Old Jul 2, 2008, 09:01 AM
Account Disabled

is it easy to do? I was adjusting the pedal on my stealth years ago and backed that rod all the way out on accident, that was not fun getting it back in there at all. I suspect this will be a pain in the *** to install unless there's a trick I don't know about.

*disclaimer, I'm a tuner, not a mechanic although I try to do my own work whenever possible
Old Jul 2, 2008, 10:02 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We install over 100 clutches a year in Evo's alone. There is no benefit to extending the clutch release rod on a HYDRAULIC system. Properly bleeding the unit and replacing warped plates are the resolution to a dragging clutch.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 11:08 AM
Account Disabled

why is it then that as I adjust the pedal out further the clutch quits dragging?...it makes sense to me that having a longer rod and being to adjust it out further would help.

I agree it's like putting a band-aid over a sucking chest wound and not addressing the real issue. At best it's probably only going to buy me a little time.

p.s. it's been bled properly so I'm assuming is the discs...but I just haven't wrapped my head around what exactly is going on mechanically. The warped plates are making contact I guess when they shouldn't be, thus causing the dragging. Must be warped severely.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 11:29 AM
Account Disabled

why is it then that as I adjust the pedal out further the clutch quits dragging?...it makes sense to me that having a longer rod and being to adjust it out further would help.

I agree it's like putting a band-aid over a sucking chest wound and not addressing the real issue. At best it's probably only going to buy me a little time.

p.s. it's been bled properly so I'm assuming is the discs...but I just haven't wrapped my head around what exactly is going on mechanically. The warped plates are making contact I guess when they shouldn't be, thus causing the dragging. Must be warped severely.
i would def remove the pill 1st man.i drove my brother in laws car (ray in n.c. you help him tune it) with the pill in it and i hate it.you cannot bang gears with it in there thats for sure and if you are trying to shift fast its like not having the pedal down all the way and will end up screwing you synchros anyways.dont ask me how i know.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 12:11 PM
Account Disabled

I really appreciate everyone's feedback...thus far I'm hearing:

1) everyone seems to agree, remove the pill, I assume I can re-use the same hose correct?

2) some say the threaded rod will help, some say it will not - I have it on the way and might give it a shot just to know for myself from first hand experience.

3) some say the clutch is just shot, replace or rebuild it - what's puzzling to me is that it can hold the launch just fine which suggests it's not shot, it's just that it's dragging, maybe another issue.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I really appreciate everyone's feedback...thus far I'm hearing:

1) everyone seems to agree, remove the pill, I assume I can re-use the same hose correct?

2) some say the threaded rod will help, some say it will not - I have it on the way and might give it a shot just to know for myself from first hand experience.

3) some say the clutch is just shot, replace or rebuild it - what's puzzling to me is that it can hold the launch just fine which suggests it's not shot, it's just that it's dragging, maybe another issue.
*im pulling this completely out of my ...............

ive heard of people with the exedy twins filing down the tips on the intermediate plate in order to allow it to float more easily.

they said that it would get hung up sometimes and not move freely.

maybe it is not moving freely??
Old Jul 2, 2008, 12:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Frankly, you're in a nasty spot. One that many of us are or have been in. I subscribed to this thread chiefly so I could hear about your resolution and/or attempts to do so because I've respected your posts in this forum.

The clutch and drivetrain on this vehicle seems to be problematic if any single component's not quite right - yes, that's my OPINION, not necessarily anyone else's fact. But my drivetrain's not been quite right ever since I replaced my stock clutch. I'm about to make wholesale changes - diffs, driveshaft, etc. I've already replaced the trans to no real improvement other than a 5th gear issue. One of the few things I've been considering keeping is the Exedy twin HD as all it's seem to affect so far is the noise level. Otherwise, shifting is still crap, just as it was with a prior, non-Exedy, replacement clutch.

Sorry for the additional, anecdotal editorializing. Good luck and PLEASE let us know how this turns out.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 01:00 PM

I'm getting the ACT Xtreme clutch and Prolite Flywheel Installed in my Evo IX MR. Anyone heard of any problems from them? Please PM me if ya'll have any input on that. Thanks .

-Jay
Old Jul 2, 2008, 01:00 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by justboosted02
*im pulling this completely out of my ...............

ive heard of people with the exedy twins filing down the tips on the intermediate plate in order to allow it to float more easily.

they said that it would get hung up sometimes and not move freely.

maybe it is not moving freely??
I've read that too but I really don't want to pull the transmission apart, dabble with filing, put it together and have the same problem, boy that would chap my ***.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 01:03 PM
Account Disabled

I think it's worth mentioning again that the Exedy twin HD served me perfectly under hundreds of hard launches, many back to back to back and I never had problems with shifting. My problems are likely because it's just flat tired of my abuse I still recommend this clutch, I'm just trying to see if there's anything I can do to help extend it's life, short of replacement/rebuild since it's holding the power fine, it's just notchy because it's dragging and I'm out of adjustment.

Quick Reply: can't get clean shifts, exedy twin disc clutch dragging