Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

can't get clean shifts, exedy twin disc clutch dragging

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2008, 01:51 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mellon
I think it's worth mentioning again that the Exedy twin HD served me perfectly under hundreds of hard launches, many back to back to back and I never had problems with shifting. My problems are likely because it's just flat tired of my abuse I still recommend this clutch, I'm just trying to see if there's anything I can do to help extend it's life, short of replacement/rebuild since it's holding the power fine, it's just notchy because it's dragging and I'm out of adjustment.
i would pull the pill again.it takes 20 mins or less and is the easiest/cheapest start to finding out what is really wrong.your clutch might be toast.but at least you could start to find out instead of guessing more or less were the problem lies.when i my exedy crapped out on me it never slipped at all.it would just lock me out.it got to the point were i needed a new clutch and tranny.(my fault)i had to replace 1-4th gear and all other misc. things that get messed up in the trans.i have had horrible trans luck.also beaware with the tilton clutch.they have alot of spline problems.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 02:16 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thanks, I'll try some some things this weekend most likely and go from there.

tell me about the tilton spline issue, did you run into this yourself?
Old Jul 2, 2008, 05:41 PM
Evolved Member

Dude you should have kept the Exedy bro... have you seen my newest vid of me slamming my Triple with my Bushwacker?

I am close to 100 passes on my Exedy and still going strong
Old Jul 2, 2008, 07:06 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes i did.i twisted them on mines.clutch only had approx.1k on it.i was making a little over 700hp but it was a few ocasion when i ran race gas.i mostly ran it on pump (511hp).my case might have been because of extreme conditions i guess even though thats what it is for but my brother in law ripped his splines clean with under 450hp and maybe 1500 miles on it.that was a huge surprise.when i talked to shepard about it he said he has heard of plenty of problems with the tilton with splines.i saw it 1st hand.it also damaged my input shaft.had to replace that too
i originaly had an exedy twin but i kept popping off the t.o.b.i dropped the trans 4 times in 1 month so i went with a tilton twin and got screwed anyways.some people have great success with it,i for one have seen 2 cases personally and i know that the cars were not doing anything more than what the clutch is for.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 06:27 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by vwjeff
Dude you should have kept the Exedy bro... have you seen my newest vid of me slamming my Triple with my Bushwacker?

I am close to 100 passes on my Exedy and still going strong
yeah, I saw that the triple was doing well for you but I didn't know you had that many passes on it, that's very good. The tilton was also appealing because of the weight, it's amazing how small/light it is.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 06:29 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by nos51
yes i did.i twisted them on mines.clutch only had approx.1k on it.i was making a little over 700hp but it was a few ocasion when i ran race gas.i mostly ran it on pump (511hp).my case might have been because of extreme conditions i guess even though thats what it is for but my brother in law ripped his splines clean with under 450hp and maybe 1500 miles on it.that was a huge surprise.when i talked to shepard about it he said he has heard of plenty of problems with the tilton with splines.i saw it 1st hand.it also damaged my input shaft.had to replace that too
i originaly had an exedy twin but i kept popping off the t.o.b.i dropped the trans 4 times in 1 month so i went with a tilton twin and got screwed anyways.some people have great success with it,i for one have seen 2 cases personally and i know that the cars were not doing anything more than what the clutch is for.
that's disappointing to hear and I totally agree that's unacceptable for what's supposed to be the best clutch period.

what did tilton have to say about it?
Old Jul 3, 2008, 06:33 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Mellon, definitely remove the pill. Even on a stock clutch, this does wonders for making them last longer. The extended rod is a band-aid, but it might help a bit. I wouldn't plan on launching it/racing it a ton like that, mostly to just keep the car driveable until you can actually fix it.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 06:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Jon from TRE advised against removing the pill when I had him rebuild my trans... *Shrug*
Old Jul 3, 2008, 06:58 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DroeOne
I'm getting the ACT Xtreme clutch and Prolite Flywheel Installed in my Evo IX MR. Anyone heard of any problems from them? Please PM me if ya'll have any input on that. Thanks .

-Jay
personal advice... dont get ACT... ive had two clutch disks literally EXPLODE from them... and all they tell me... "Its installation error..." yea.. when ive had it done by myself AND a professional shop

When it comes to clutch, i havent really heard of Exedy Twin causing these problems... Well yea.. a select few but those clutches have been put thru so much abuse, id think itd be about time that it is getting lazy on you Mellon.

Best resolution IMHO... rebuild twin disk... Sell it... and put that money towards the Tilton... Push type clutchs are a thing of the past..
Old Jul 3, 2008, 07:56 AM
Evolved Member

yeah, I saw that the triple was doing well for you but I didn't know you had that many passes on it, that's very good. The tilton was also appealing because of the weight, it's amazing how small/light it is.
I know, the weight thing is killing me to
Old Jul 3, 2008, 08:32 AM
Account Disabled

I've been thinking about this quite a bit, I'm going to install the Tilton later next week, that'll take care of the restrictor pill with the new braided line and I won't need to fiddle with the threaded rod.

I probably won't drive the car much this weekend and certainly won't be doing any racing so unless it gets much worse I won't mess with the pill/rod potential temp fixes.

I'll be sure to write a detailed account of the Tilton experience once I've got some seat time with it. It'll also be interesting to see if the e.t. , mph or dll dyno figures change with it.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 09:02 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by vwjeff
have you seen my newest vid of me slamming my Triple with my Bushwacker?
Sounds like one hell of a three on one experience! I gotta see this video!
Old Jul 3, 2008, 09:11 AM
Account Disabled

that's disappointing to hear and I totally agree that's unacceptable for what's supposed to be the best clutch period.

what did tilton have to say about it?
The brand name of the clutch does not render it the "best".

There are three versions of tilton.

HYBRID- Cerametallic / Organic twin to 500-600tq

CERAM- Cerametallic / Cerametallic twin to 600-740tq

CARBON- Carbon/ Carbon twin tp 940 tq+

Tilton ceram and hybrids used to have softer hubs. They are now made out of a darker hub that has been hardened. In some cases of harmonics, the hubs can still rattle on the inputshaft to the point of wearing them down.

#1 the tiltons are all UNSPRUNG.

#2 the tiltons all have hub contact patches smaller and more narrow than EXEDY and ACT.

#3 this allows axial and side to movement from harmonics and imperfect input shaft alignment and "true"

#4 these harmonics can transfer to the hub splines and accelerate wear between teeth and splines.

#5 the tilton carbon carbon is not designed the same as the ceram and hybrid units as the hub spins BOTH discs at once with more material contacting the inputshaft. The cheaper twins are individually responsible for each hub spinning the input shaft on their own.

#6 The tiltons are lighter and between the weight and disc chatter on the input shaft, you will transmit all of these harmonics to the knock sensor and waste the next year with the clutch ruining the performance of your stock ECU Evo. P0300 is your friend.

There is your information as well as your forewarning. If you want to press forward with your car on the stock ECU. The tilton ceram or hybrid is NOT the clutch for you.

Last edited by TTP Engineering; Jul 3, 2008 at 09:15 AM.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 09:44 AM
Evolved Member

Mellon I'm having the same problem as you and this weekend when I get the rest of my motor out (blew up on me a few weeks back) I'll try to figure out wtf is wrong with my twin and thinking about rebuilding it too depending on whats wrong. I love the damn thing but not with the problems I'm having, you can put it in reverse and turn on the car and it starts moving..yes the pedal has been adjusted out a thousand times anymore the rod is going to fall out of pedal. So I'm going to throw in the longblock and then next focuz on fixing the clutch because it just drives me nuts not being able to get into gears.

Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
#6 The tiltons are lighter and between the weight and disc chatter on the input shaft, you will transmit all of these harmonics to the knock sensor and waste the next year with the clutch ruining the performance of your stock ECU Evo. P0300 is your friend.
You've got that right lol P0300 has been popping on my car since I put my clutch in last year
Old Jul 3, 2008, 11:39 AM
Account Disabled

thanks for the feedback TTP, I have the CARBON- Carbon/ Carbon twin tp 940 tq+ for what it's worth. I intend on running the stock ecu with the new setup, but I do have an AEM EMS sitting here ready to go in. I just want to see how far I can go on the stock ecu/mas first.

Quick Reply: can't get clean shifts, exedy twin disc clutch dragging