Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

can't get clean shifts, exedy twin disc clutch dragging

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2008, 11:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
didn't know about all that from Tilton, thread subscribed. Please post when you get the Tilton in. As always please take lots of pics if possible.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 11:59 AM
Evolved Member

I am currently fighting a p0300 with the excedy twin. only at a 2k cruise in 3rd thru 5th.

good luck on the new clutch, I kinda wanna go to the execdy triple with their new conversion kit to push clutch
Old Jul 3, 2008, 12:43 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mellon
thanks for the feedback TTP, I have the CARBON- Carbon/ Carbon twin tp 940 tq+ for what it's worth. I intend on running the stock ecu with the new setup, but I do have an AEM EMS sitting here ready to go in. I just want to see how far I can go on the stock ecu/mas first.
Well look who the baller is.

Even multidisc carbon clutches such as the carbonetics triple can set off the knock sensor during cruise. We hope you have good luck with this one as we removed ours due to false knocksums.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 12:56 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
did you only get the false knock at cruise? and was it constant? Lots of cars get false knock at cruise so I'm just curious how bad it was for you.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 03:29 PM
Account Disabled

It makes the car difficult to run to its potential. We are talking about both cruise, off-boost sums as well as rolling into it.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 05:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sabastian458
I am currently fighting a p0300 with the excedy twin. only at a 2k cruise in 3rd thru 5th.

good luck on the new clutch, I kinda wanna go to the execdy triple with their new conversion kit to push clutch
Last year when I had the stock ECM, I had false knock but only on my 2 step.

TTP..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-8se5lAwJ8
Old Jul 3, 2008, 06:12 PM
Evolved Member

I've been lucky with my Tilton cerametallic. I don't get any false knock and only occasional P0300s. That is on a stroker without balance shafts. I had more of a problem with P0300s before I added my Fluidampr.

-Paul
Old Jul 18, 2008, 01:28 PM
Account Disabled

Today I drove the evo with the Tilton Twin carbon...no more notchy shifting I'll do a full review soon once I get out there and launch it but it's very easy to drive and there's much less part throttle stock ecu false knock than with the Exedy twin. It was worn down to nothing.

review thread here https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=358387

Last edited by Mellon Racing; Jul 18, 2008 at 02:17 PM.
Old Jul 18, 2008, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by dudical26
I have this issue as well and I only have a few thousand miles on the clutch... maybe 3k.

My problem exist even when the clutch is cold, IE startup and still won't get into first.

I have been driving around the problem by double clutching and revving it up to get in gear, but its getting worse. I tried bleeding the clutch and also replaced the slave cylinder.....this did nothing.

I don't think its an issue with the metallic vs carbon surface because it happens even when its cold, I think one of the plats is dragging and not totally disengaging no matter how far out I adjust the rod.

This seems to be a fairly common problem and its really annoying. I just don't know what to do. I almost wanna sell the car its so annoying.
I know how you feel, its not even close to the same as it used to be. I contemplated selling it. But I couldn't. I still have this problem and I still drive it because I don't have another car at the moment, but I as well have to have the car off to get it into gear first then shifting is anything but smooth and 5-4 and 3-2 downshifting is near impossible.
Old Aug 5, 2008, 07:01 PM
Evolving Member

I'm also running into the same problem now, over the weekend I unintentionally over heated my clutch and believed that one or both disc were temporarly fused to the flywheel or the pressure plate which prevent any disengagement and any shifting. I was able to break the disc loose (allowing me to shift normally) but after maxing out the rod, my twin disc still drags especially at first start up. Its very hard to get it into reverse and the car lurks forward or backwards when trying to put it in first or reverse. Clutch is holding fine and no slippage under boost. regular shifting is notchy but manageble.

Last edited by rEVoLed; Aug 6, 2008 at 02:46 AM.
Old Aug 6, 2008, 07:44 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by rEVoLed
I'm also running into the same problem now, over the weekend I unintentionally over heated my clutch and believed that one or both disc were temporarly fused to the flywheel or the pressure plate which prevent any disengagement and any shifting. I was able to break the disc loose (allowing me to shift normally) but after maxing out the rod, my twin disc still drags especially at first start up. Its very hard to get it into reverse and the car lurks forward or backwards when trying to put it in first or reverse. Clutch is holding fine and no slippage under boost. regular shifting is notchy but manageble.
We have EXEDY twin rebuild kits in stock. Send us a PM or call 407-475-0010 for more info.
Old Aug 6, 2008, 08:19 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by rEVoLed
yep, sounds like it's time to freshen it up, it's just worn down to nothing.
Old Aug 6, 2008, 04:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jeff_ro
When my shop installed it for me, they said things like this happen, especially when the clutch gets hot and they did something to prevent it: they grinded about half a milimeter from the gaps shown in the picture below:
Can someone elaborate more on this? What exactly are you grinding down and how does this help? I'm trying grapse how it would affect the function of the clutch mechanically.
Old Aug 6, 2008, 07:39 PM
Account Disabled

don't worry, i didn't get it either and furthermore that's not your problem, it's just worn out most likely.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 11:31 AM
Evolving Member

ok, well hopefully I didn't damage my pressure plate so a simple disc replacement is all I need. Hows the Titlon treating you?

Quick Reply: can't get clean shifts, exedy twin disc clutch dragging