Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

can't get clean shifts, exedy twin disc clutch dragging

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2008, 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had the problems everyone is talking about on my 2003 Evo, although the Exedy I put in was brand effin new. I even bought a second clutch to see if it was that particular clutch, but I had the same problems on the second one! $3000 later in clutches... and I finally just sold the car (and the extra clutch!).
Old Aug 8, 2008, 12:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well sounds more and more to me that Exedy may have some QC on this particular clutch? Then again so far there has only been maybe a few that has mention the same problem vs the thousands that they sell. If this rebuild kit doesn't fix the issue, I would be pretty upset myself.

Mellon- How did your pressure plate look? since you bought the Tilton and never replaced the Exedy, how sure are you that it was solely on the disc and not a pressure plate or a TOB issue?

O BTW I'm fighting that P0300 code myself but I choose to ignore it since it hasn't hinder any performance on the car that I could tell.
Old Aug 8, 2008, 06:54 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it looked like normal wear and tear...nothing too exciting, just flat worn out.
Old Aug 8, 2008, 09:12 AM
Evolving Member

I have 500 miles on my brand new twin disk exedy clutch. It's difficult to get into first and reverse when the car isn't moving. Very annoying, I'll call exedy...

It worked great for the first 200 miles.
Old Aug 8, 2008, 09:12 AM
Account Disabled

sounds like you need to adjust the pedal, this will need to be done from time to time as it wears down. Once you get to the point where you can't get clean shifts and you're out of adjustment it's time to have it freshened up or replaced.
Old Aug 8, 2008, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

For you guys that are having draging issues with your clutch, check your input shaft.. I had my trans shipped out twice before I caught the input shaft issue myself. Input shaft was twisted 8 thousands.. And it was enough for the disc to hang up on the shaft. I sent the trans back out to have a new input shaft put in it and the clutch sent to Exedy to have it gone through. I hope all is well now. Taking these trannys in and out and replacing parts becomes expensive and a HUGE PITA very quickly. Especially when its ur daily driver...
Old Aug 8, 2008, 01:45 PM
Account Disabled

adam quite driving that car like an a-hole and you won't have that problem I'm just f'n with ya dude! are you rocking that thing at full tilt 560awhp on those poor locals?
Old Aug 8, 2008, 02:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mellon
adam quite driving that car like an a-hole and you won't have that problem I'm just f'n with ya dude! are you rocking that thing at full tilt 560awhp on those poor locals?
Actually I haven't even had it on the 560WHP setting yet.. Just good ol 93 and 22psi. I haven't even launched the car but MAYBE 5 times on the street and it just spun.. then grinded 2nd... So I stopped doing that immediately after i found out it wasnt my shifting doin it lol. I have been having 2nd gear grinding issues since day one... It's getting VERY aggravating. I hope this time around since I found the input shaft to be twisted and its getting replaced all will be well.. THEN Ill turn it up

I have been doin some 2nd gear on roll races "as thats all I could do with a grinding 2nd gear" and suprising ALOT of locals though
Old Aug 8, 2008, 04:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
No pivot ball on my Evo 8. The arm rotates on a shaft and the shaft isn't adjustable.
Old Aug 8, 2008, 04:22 PM
Evolving Member

I didnt like my twin disk the first few days i had it in . But after the first launch it seemed to magicly turn into being awesome. Running redline MT90 and a Agency SS clutch line, feels better then stock to me.
Old Aug 8, 2008, 11:11 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Colt4g63
Actually I haven't even had it on the 560WHP setting yet.. Just good ol 93 and 22psi. I haven't even launched the car but MAYBE 5 times on the street and it just spun.. then grinded 2nd... So I stopped doing that immediately after i found out it wasnt my shifting doin it lol. I have been having 2nd gear grinding issues since day one... It's getting VERY aggravating. I hope this time around since I found the input shaft to be twisted and its getting replaced all will be well.. THEN Ill turn it up

I have been doin some 2nd gear on roll races "as thats all I could do with a grinding 2nd gear" and suprising ALOT of locals though

man I hate that for you Adam...but maybe that's the end of the tranny issues for you.

rolls are for fat chicks bro! haha jfwy, no doubt you've got a strong one even on camel **** pump gas and low boost.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 12:52 AM
Evolved Member

I hope the issues will be gone now as well!! And yes the force is with this one... it runs excellent and im very happy with that aspect of the car. I will have to show you some recent pics. I got tired of looking at my car on my friends lift "seems it wants to live its life there" with the stock wheels so I bought some wheels for it. I thought that would make it better to look at .. and it does, but it makes me want to be able to DRIVE IT even more now!!! I put some 18x9 Roto GForce on it in gun metallic. Doesnt even look like the same car.. Crazy how wheels and there offset can change the whole look of the car!
Old Aug 11, 2008, 08:50 AM
Account Disabled

nice, some day I'll get around to putting on some slick wheels but for now I'm having fun with it...fools roll up on me and get the surprise of their life
Old Aug 18, 2008, 12:05 PM
Evolving Member

Wow, just saw this thread. Guess that's what I get for not reading Evom much anymore. Where were you last year

My issues here but it sounds similar to you Chris. I always thought the floaters could be getting hung up on the posts. I have a cerametallic rebuilt that I bought last year and will toss that in once I get sick of this.
Old Aug 18, 2008, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

Same problem i was having.. Exact same problem.. Disk was shot.. Ordering new rebuild from AWD..

Quick Reply: can't get clean shifts, exedy twin disc clutch dragging