Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

can't get clean shifts, exedy twin disc clutch dragging

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2008, 12:43 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah, hopefully this thread will help some others diagnose their problems early so they can make preparations for replacement before it start grinding on the syncros. I really wanted to wait until the new shorty/head/cams went in to do the clutch all in one shot but I was risking my transmission and had to go on and put it in.
Old Aug 18, 2008, 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Damn 4K is alot for a Tilton Clutch but I guess it's worth it if you have all of that power.
Old Aug 18, 2008, 01:06 PM
Account Disabled

yeah the price is ridiculous compared to other clutches and likely overkill for most people including myself but I plan on putting it to very good use soon!
Old Aug 18, 2008, 01:38 PM
Evolving Member

sweet mother of god...

I ordered the M220HD excedy twin disk ( i think thats the model #)...

so I read this thread, and now I'm $hitting bricks ... I don't know what to do. Shep says it'll be fine. I have a 06 evo 9 MR. Any precautions that I should do before installing this thing?

Also, would having a bent input shaft damage a transfer case?

awesome post mellon....
Old Aug 18, 2008, 02:47 PM
Evolving Member

Well another thing that I've notice, assuming that the Exedy twin is the sole reason of my P0300 code. Since my little incident, I have had on and off CEL for that code. My guess is, one of my disc is warp/warn and isn't spinning or vibrating (hence the dragging issue)as much as it use to so causing the p0300 to trip every once in a while where as before, the p0300 was always on. I could be wrong but it makes sense...
Old Aug 18, 2008, 06:24 PM
Evolved Member

/\/\ As stupid as that would sound to someone else. Ive noticed that alot before mine went out.. I even asked myself WTF why iam throwing this code non stop.
Old Aug 18, 2008, 07:51 PM
Evolving Member

Early 03's were throwing the code regardless of the clutch used. The transmission had bad harmonics and would trigger the knock sensor and many times would pull timing on the highway. Mine had reached the point were my car would fall on it's face 5 or more times on a 40 minute commute to school( I logged it and would watch the timing drop to 5 degrees or less!). The dealer covered it under warranty. They replaced the input shaft in the transmission and reflashed it. Problem still existed until they replaced the transmission. No problems since.
Old Aug 18, 2008, 10:10 PM
Evolving Member

well the thing is, I logged mine and it never pull timing under normal driving or on the highway. I know the code is there but never could get any sense of it retarding timing via on buttdyno or on datalogger.

BTW I'm not disputing the cause of the P0300 code as I have an 03 and have been dealing with this for some time but I'm just going off of my own observation which has told me that I've always thrown that code before this clutch issue and ever since the dragging clutch, the CEL has been on and off. So the only thing that could have cause this (with all else being equal/unchanged) points to the Exedy. Either way, I still have a P0300 code.

Last edited by rEVoLed; Aug 18, 2008 at 10:17 PM.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 12:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
How many miles did the clutch last after the first adjustment util the last ajustment that did nothing for engagement? Shifting my car is still butter but just yesterday it was getting alittle harder to get into 1st..I have about 15k miles and 100 11-12 second passes on it..

Last edited by PeteyTurbo; Oct 29, 2008 at 01:36 PM.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 05:01 PM
Account Disabled

maybe a few months Petey...once it got to the point where I heard the occasional grinding syncro going to 5th quickly and I was out of adjustment I knew it was time to put the tilton in.

btw, I've been powershifting the tilton lately and let me tell ya it makes a huge differnce in e.t and mph.

previous best ever on my g-tech - 11.2 @ 130
new best on the very FIRST try - 10.5 @ 138

woah!
Old Oct 29, 2008, 08:13 PM
Evolved Member

okay so now iam on my second round of the twin disc fury. Its normal to have the loud chatter in Nutral? i know it was said before but i want to make sure. Also i find that it will stick in first gear and i have to rev it or shut it off to get it out of first. second gear sometimes doesnt like to go straight into gear. I have the shep tranny as well.
Old Oct 30, 2008, 02:39 AM
Account Disabled

When your clutch goes out might wanna try QuarterMaster
Old Oct 30, 2008, 08:26 AM
Former Sponsor

I would think allot of this can be attributed to the nature of the beast. The more heavy duty your clutch is the more issues with driveability that you encounter. I have a heavy duty twin disc that holds 1100 ft/lbs, at first I was regretting going with the extreme duty. But after the break-in period it has gotten noticeably better in the daily driving department. That and I have evolved my driving style. But I can tell you that the clamping/holding ability is awesome. I just didn't realize just how much my OEM clutch was slipping prior to installing the twin disc... You do need to alter your driving style a bit with the twin disc. At a stop light or stationary, put the shifter into neutral and don't continuously hold/ride the clutch pedal. This riding the clutch will drastically shorten the life of the disc material. Also rev match when down shifting/upshifting for smoother engagements.
Old Oct 30, 2008, 09:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Q@EvoPowerMods
You do need to alter your driving style a bit with the twin disc. At a stop light or stationary, put the shifter into neutral and don't continuously hold/ride the clutch pedal. This riding the clutch will drastically shorten the life of the disc material. Also rev match when down shifting/upshifting for smoother engagements.
Very true with any clutch must become "one" with it

We have 2 customers 1 w/ an evo8 and 1 w/ a 9.

Both have Exedy Twin HD's w/ stock trannies.

Both of the complain about difficulty getting into gears......1st and rev the most problematic.

We've adjusted both a couple times and it seemed to help a bit but they still have quams about it

Mellon where did you have yours adjusted in regards to where the engagement point was.

Really low to the floor or up a bit higher as i've noticed both of theirs are still engaging quite low for my taste but it's hard to compare as my QM is totally diff but even my single disc ACT didn't engage that low (but then again that thing took a crap on me so who knows )
Old Oct 30, 2008, 09:14 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by PATRICK B.
Very true with any clutch must become "one" with it

We have 2 customers 1 w/ an evo8 and 1 w/ a 9.

Both have Exedy Twin HD's w/ stock trannies.

Both of the complain about difficulty getting into gears......1st and rev the most problematic.

We've adjusted both a couple times and it seemed to help a bit but they still have quams about it

Mellon where did you have yours adjusted in regards to where the engagement point was.

Really low to the floor or up a bit higher as i've noticed both of theirs are still engaging quite low for my taste but it's hard to compare as my QM is totally diff but even my single disc ACT didn't engage that low (but then again that thing took a crap on me so who knows )
Initially a few inches off the floor but as it wore it got lower and lower until the pedal would be to the floor and the car would lunge forward when you tried to push it in first gear (dragging) so I adjusted the pedal so that it no longer engaged right off the floor board.

Quick Reply: can't get clean shifts, exedy twin disc clutch dragging