Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

can't get clean shifts, exedy twin disc clutch dragging

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2008, 06:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I too have see this on a few twin disc clutches, exedy and quartermaster. gotta love replacing more parts at even higher $$.
Tilton Carbon FTW!!
Old May 22, 2008, 06:05 PM
Evolved Member

http://www.teamrip.com/when_why_and_...ball_info.html
Old May 22, 2008, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Like jc evo1 suggested about shimming the pivot ball. Maybe you need to allow for more room for when the disk's heat up ?

Just a thought. good luck anyway. Ohh and I would suggest the exedy triple carbon best clutch for high hp.
Old May 22, 2008, 08:08 PM
Evolved Member

I have this issue as well and I only have a few thousand miles on the clutch... maybe 3k.

My problem exist even when the clutch is cold, IE startup and still won't get into first.

I have been driving around the problem by double clutching and revving it up to get in gear, but its getting worse. I tried bleeding the clutch and also replaced the slave cylinder.....this did nothing.

I don't think its an issue with the metallic vs carbon surface because it happens even when its cold, I think one of the plats is dragging and not totally disengaging no matter how far out I adjust the rod.

This seems to be a fairly common problem and its really annoying. I just don't know what to do. I almost wanna sell the car its so annoying.
Old May 22, 2008, 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jeff_ro
When my shop installed it for me, they said things like this happen, especially when the clutch gets hot and they did something to prevent it: they grinded about half a milimeter from the gaps shown in the picture below:
I think that might be the solution....while I can't say for sure I think the metal plates that separate the clutch discs might be getting hung up trying to slide on those guides and grinding them down a bit should help.
Old May 23, 2008, 09:43 PM
Evolved Member

put your car up on 4 jackstands with the engine running, engage 1st with the clutch in, if your wheels turn then you know the clutch isnt working properly.
Old May 23, 2008, 09:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JC evo1
put your car up on 4 jackstands with the engine running, engage 1st with the clutch in, if your wheels turn then you know the clutch isnt working properly.
I imagine the wheels would turn. When I try to put it in first gear with the clutch in, the car will nudge forward.
Old May 23, 2008, 10:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by vwjeff
my triple did the samething after i put it in, i couldnt adjust it anymore.... then it stopped
I know you have mentioned before that Daniel@Buschur converted your twin to triple...is it triple carbon now or triple cerametalic? Does Buschurs does this service or just did it for you? If fo may Chris can just send it to Buschur to convert to triple.
Old May 24, 2008, 05:58 AM
Account Disabled

going triple would be must less painful on the wallet in the short run for sure but what jeff said worries me...I don't want to convert it to tripple and have the same issue where I'm constantly having to adjust the pedal.

if it's normal clutch wear causing this I'm fine with it since I've had tons of launches on it but I haven't head anyone say that yet.
Old May 24, 2008, 06:08 AM
Evolving Member

I've seen a few have problems. One of them was the entire assembly was clocked wrong. There are countersunk slots in the flywheels for the springs to sit into. If it is off, the clutch will have some seriously odd engagement like wanting to move when its in gear. I have pictures if people want to see.

Jay
Old May 24, 2008, 06:36 AM
Account Disabled

I'm hoping to start removing the head/block/tranny in a few weeks and I'll be sharing my findings to help others.

I'm going to have to upgrade either way and I've got to make a decision on twin carbon tilton or exedy triple conversion.

any 650+awhp cars having success with the exedy triple? I'm sure it'll work fine in the short run like the twin disc did but I need something that's going to last for a long time.
Old May 24, 2008, 07:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jeff_ro
When my shop installed it for me, they said things like this happen, especially when the clutch gets hot and they did something to prevent it: they grinded about half a milimeter from the gaps shown in the picture below:
thanks for posting this.

Looking at the pic, I think that may fix the issue I've been having with my Exedy Twin, where one of the two discs isn't disengaging properly ... which means that I end up with two clutch engagement points. When I finally pull the clutch, I will have to take a look at this.

l8r)
Old May 24, 2008, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 4GSix3T
I've seen a few have problems. One of them was the entire assembly was clocked wrong. There are countersunk slots in the flywheels for the springs to sit into. If it is off, the clutch will have some seriously odd engagement like wanting to move when its in gear. I have pictures if people want to see.

Jay
Please post pics
Old May 24, 2008, 09:04 AM
Evolved Member

I had this happen on my 1G race car. I extended the slave cylinder rod which did the trick and let me adjust the pedal more. It turned out though it was my clutch pedal assembly that was bad.

I think your problem is that the disks are worn and causing your engagement problems.

Last edited by warp9; May 24, 2008 at 09:16 AM.
Old May 24, 2008, 09:12 AM
Account Disabled

ok, thanks for the insight guys

Quick Reply: can't get clean shifts, exedy twin disc clutch dragging