Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Finnaly done....16G antisurge

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2008, 02:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finnaly done....16G antisurge

Well after 8 months of R&D, testing, and dicking around with this surge issue present on stock turbo-modified Evo's I'm hoping this is the final result to ending it once and for all for those wishing to keep the stock 16G yet run elevated boost levels without surge

All in the name of throttle response @ Watkins Glen!!!!

This Sunday I'll be installing to housing and modifying the intake accordingly. Tuning it on the dyno will then commence and hopefully positive results follow
Old May 23, 2008, 02:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Holy inlet size batman
Old May 23, 2008, 02:48 PM
Evolved Member

How much this cost you to do? Or you do all the R&D? Cant wait to hear how she does...LOOKS REDONKULOUS!
Old May 23, 2008, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by wshihdnevo
How much this cost you to do? Or you do all the R&D? Cant wait to hear how she does...LOOKS REDONKULOUS!
All the R&D, testing, and machining I did in house here at my shop. I do alot of this prototype stuff and CAD/CNC work on top of my chassis fabrication RRE had a spare housing kicking around for $25 and about another $100 for the various coupler, tubing, and velocity stack to make up the inlet. Worked with some connections at an "unnamed" turbo manufacturer to get the specs for the antisurge flow requirements and resized/implemented them accordingly on this stock housing. I personally think it would be a bit too costly to do outright for customers unless they REALy wanted to keep the stock 16g for ultimate throttle response, as did my buddy in this case(2003 Evo 8 track/auto-x car)

Here's a couple pictures of the machined housing during and after I did the port machining but before welding on the new 4" inlet:

Old May 23, 2008, 03:18 PM
Evolved Member

I would be interested in this, if it does well and doesnt cost an arm and a leg...finished product looks amazing btw
Old May 23, 2008, 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

very nice.
Old May 23, 2008, 03:22 PM
Evolved Member

Your going to lose efficiency but hopefully the surgeline moved enough that its worth it, interesting to see!

Scorke
Old May 23, 2008, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by scorke
Your going to lose efficiency but hopefully the surgeline moved enough that its worth it, interesting to see!

Scorke
Yup, it's estimated about 2-3% loss at peak efficiency, something I can live with if it solves the main surge issue If it works and resolves the issue I actually plan to send this housing out with a good 16G core to a flow facility where they can set it up on a hot fire test rig and produce a compressor map to show the exact flow vs the stock compressor
Old May 23, 2008, 06:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Cobby & Gnarly-looking! Nice work BTW! Good old American ingenuity and know-how at work
Old Jun 1, 2008, 08:02 AM

We here's a crappy dyno sheet of one of the pulls we made. i think it's pull #3 or 4. I've got to go and find out where I save the last couple pulls of the day, around 310 uncorrected TQ and like ~300-305 uncorrected whp.

Can't figure out how to post a PDF file??? So I have to do a "prnt scrn" of the image a couple times and upload them as a JPG. anyone know how to post a PDf file directly???

Stock 16G compressor wheel and 10.9 turbine housing, just added the 4" inlet antisurge compressor housing I made and tuned for ~23-24lbs of boost. Dyno was a Mustang Dyno at Moon Performance in Lake Placid NY. Car pulls all the way to redline which is nice. Peaks out at 24lbs of boost and falls off to about 21.5 at redline.

Surge seems to definitely be quenched but I might have to do a little more tweaking to make it perfect. I'll know more about the cars' driveability when Eric goes to MA next week for an auto-x and has to put some mileage on her