Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

ecu reset

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2003, 10:58 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by the evo wins
Ok what I dont get it you guys making this so complicated...disconnecting the battery takes likes 20 seconds with minimal work...opening the glovebox and reaching for the ECU both involve about the same amount of work...
...well, then there's the time to reset your clock and radio stations, and i keep a LOT of presets... kinda lame, i know.

it probably works out about the same, i just think it's cool to learn a new trick to do it.

that's the beauty of laziness: it drives us to ever increasing levels of efficiency.
Old Aug 14, 2003, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's time to open up the manual and read.

I'm sure there is a simple way rather than disconnecting the neg - battery terminal.

My old honda just need a fuse pull for 10-15 sec for ECU reset.
Old Aug 14, 2003, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by zx6r

what do you use to show you you're at WOT ?
Use TPS figures to show when it's at WOT.
Old Aug 14, 2003, 01:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by boostedwrx
Bigd you got it man lol. That method is a lot easier than removing the negative terminal. 1 you dont need any tools and 2 it only takes 10 seconds to reset.

big - are you still enjoying your Xede? Ive been running mine without the boost control for a while because I was hitting fuel cut!! =(
I sent mine in to get the upgrade and order a plug and play cable. I want it back though.
Old Aug 14, 2003, 01:53 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by the evo wins
Ok what I dont get it you guys making this so complicated...disconnecting the battery takes likes 20 seconds with minimal work...opening the glovebox and reaching for the ECU both involve about the same amount of work...
What's complicated? You can even swing the little panel down without removing the glovebox. WAY easier. No tools.
Old Aug 14, 2003, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yea, its so much easier. People listen, removing the glovebox is as easy as folding it down. Christ....

If your battery terminal is like mine, its chewed up from removing it so many damn times! (10mm)

You cant wear anything out really by unfolding the glovebox...

BigD does shiv have the fix for the boost map yet?
Old Aug 14, 2003, 02:22 PM
G20
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
So if I have the ECU reflashed, doing the reset will set it back to factory setting? Thank you in advance for answer.
Old Aug 14, 2003, 08:10 PM
Evolved Member

I don't think that resetting the ECU will "unflash" it back to stock...But I'm not sure
Old Aug 20, 2003, 03:46 PM
jfh
Evolved Member

Originally posted by G20
So if I have the ECU reflashed, doing the reset will set it back to factory setting? Thank you in advance for answer.
No, once it is flashed it will maintain the new map as its baseline unless it is sent back and reflashed.

In simple terms, the ECU has an adaptive learning capability that "remembers" the parameters is uses most often based on a stored memory of recent use. This adaptive learning function alters the baseline within limited parameters to optimize performance for the data it is accustomed to seeing, i.e. 93 octange vs. 91 octane. Octane variables have a significant influence over knock which is mitigated through both timing and air-fuel ratio adjustments, both of which significantly impact performance (10-15 WHP) in this example are common.

Resetting the ECU simply returns it to the baseline map causing it to start its adaptive learning process over again from a clean sheet.

It is desirable when measuring performance modifications immediately after installation.

Over time, the ECU will eventually get to the same settings whether you reset it or not. Resetting it just lets you get there faster because you are manually erasing the additional data it has stored based on the data it has seen over time.

Last edited by jfh; Aug 20, 2003 at 04:11 PM.
Old Aug 20, 2003, 06:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by chinalfr
It's time to open up the manual and read.

I'm sure there is a simple way rather than disconnecting the neg - battery terminal.

My old honda just need a fuse pull for 10-15 sec for ECU reset.
Fuse number 8 in the engine compartment fuse box.