Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Any results or times from the shoot out

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2008, 06:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
so that would make al's car around 2791... AL is a big boy.
Old May 27, 2008, 06:55 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jshepherd
I also didnt read much of this thread but did happen to catch this.

I would expect an onlooker to lose interest when it broke 6 rear diffs in 2 races and looked like a pile of **** on the track. I did what I had to do to not look like a joke and yet still try and retain the respect of having an awd. The solid is not a performance enhancing mod it is a reliability mod.
The driveline Master has spoken
Old May 27, 2008, 06:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe View Post
I watched shepard go faster and faster. I lost interest when I saw the american rear end in the car. no longer a mitsu platform.
Originally Posted by jshepherd
I also didnt read much of this thread but did happen to catch this.

I would expect an onlooker to lose interest when it broke 6 rear diffs in 2 races and looked like a pile of **** on the track. I did what I had to do to not look like a joke and yet still try and retain the respect of having an awd. The solid is not a performance enhancing mod it is a reliability mod.
Thanks for taking the time to repond, John. But it doesnt change my opinion at all. The bottom line is you changed the talon platform by installing an american rear end in a foreign car. and it wasnt even IRS. you had to hack the back of the car completely to have it installed. That is simply not pushing the limits of a platform. Its called changing it. I would have liked to see you continue to go faster and faster on the stock platform. If it meant limiting the car to 1.4 60fts to keep the rear end in one piece , so be it. that could have been done and you could have pushed the stock parts faster.

The solid is not a performance enhancing mod it is a reliability mod.

I would have to disagree with that statement. The solid rear end is far more capable of lower 60fts. That most definitely enhances the performance.
Old May 27, 2008, 06:57 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yep and at the end of the day people need to look at the weight of the car w/ driver as that how sanctioned racing is also.. My car is 3085 w/ me.. My class rule is 2950lbs and before the end of the year i will have me and my car down to that weight guaranteed, and in street class trim still..
Old May 27, 2008, 07:00 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe View Post
I watched shepard go faster and faster. I lost interest when I saw the american rear end in the car. no longer a mitsu platform.

Thanks for taking the time to repond, John. But it doesnt change my opinion at all. The bottom line is you changed the talon platform by installing an american rear end in a foreign car. and it wasnt even IRS. you had to hack the back of the car completely to have it installed. That is simply not pushing the limits of a platform. Its called changing it. I would have liked to see you continue to go faster and faster on the stock platform. If it meant limiting the car to 1.4 60fts to keep the rear end in one piece , so be it. that could have been done and you could have pushed the stock parts faster.

The solid is not a performance enhancing mod it is a reliability mod.

I would have to disagree with that statement. The solid rear end is far more capable of lower 60fts. That most definitely enhances the performance.
Unfortunately there comes a point when you break enough parts constantly over and over and over til your racing fund is dry or your tired and then you look for a resolution.. John's was the ford 9" and i dont blame him or dave 1 bit for doing what they have done.. John is more well known for his 7.7's @190+ then the guy who stuck a ford part in his mitsu.. just my .02
Old May 27, 2008, 07:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
haha, that's for freaking sure Mike! He is known as having THE QUICKEST AND FASTEST AWD 4 CYLINDER in the world. Not they guy who put a Ford rear end in it. haha

Not only do I NOT regret doing it to our car this time I am proud of the fact we did it. The next time we run the car is going to be at Pinks all out. Should make for some fun. I don't care if we make the field, it will be a great chance to run the car and do some further testing.

I am starting to seriously question the thought behind trying to get a 1,000+ whp EVO down the track. Everything gets much more difficult. It may be worth a shot taking my turbo/intercooler off my RS and bolting it to the black car just to see what it would do with a lot less HP.
Old May 27, 2008, 07:14 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
haha, that's for freaking sure Mike! He is known as having THE QUICKEST AND FASTEST AWD 4 CYLINDER in the world. Not they guy who put a Ford rear end in it. haha
And . . . a guy with a race car that is a work of art

Master Shep will always be the best in my book irespective of how he did it

I have been to his facility and seen all the hard work he does personally to stay on top - he is no joke

Al
Old May 27, 2008, 07:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evodan2004
so that would make al's car around 2791... AL is a big boy.
takeout Al, the 9sec legal cage and other saftey equipment needed, that makes that car well into the 2675-2725lb area
thats a light "street-non gutted " evo...
Now that I think about it, that's a lot lighter than "Dan B's" car last year when it ran 9.2 @ 156
Excuses

this thread is turning even me to join in

Last edited by 1slowevo; May 27, 2008 at 07:22 PM.
Old May 27, 2008, 07:19 PM
Account Disabled

I am starting to seriously question the thought behind trying to get a 1,000+ whp EVO down the track. Everything gets much more difficult. It may be worth a shot taking my turbo/intercooler off my RS and bolting it to the black car just to see what it would do with a lot less HP.
Great minds think alike

Your accomplishments with the Gt35 this weekend really both impressed me and revolutionized my thinking on the subject

It just goes to show what hard work and R & D can do witrh refining a set up to maximize the potential of a given set up

it is amazing to see a Gt35 car trapping 150

it is even more amazing to see so many customers of Buschur driving to the track and running those kind of times on mildly modified street cars

at the end of the day what they are doing seems like a lot more fun to me
Old May 27, 2008, 07:22 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe

The car was not hacked apart whatsoever to put the rear end into Johns car. It wasn't a back half and IMO isn't any different than putting a non-OEM IRS(ie 300gt Rear end) unit in it. It utilized the factory strut mounts and the tires were contained within the factory wheel wells. The latest rounds of mods that John has chosen to do were for safety and to meet the rules of competition for the ET the car is capable of producing.

Slowing the car down off the launch would not have completely eliminated the rear end breakage problem as the car was still breaking parts AFTER it was already moving. This is drag racing, you can't build a good 1/4 mile car if you have to sacrifice the most vital part of getting good ET's. If that had to be done then why bother drag racing we could just join the rest of the homo's out there doing highway roll races. No thanks.

While in theory the solid rear should be a performance advantage we still have not seen the light of it. The car pulled 1.2 60's on the IRS rear end and has managed the same with the solid axle. Reliability and safety was the key and the light has been seen from that perspective. Until you've strapped yourself into a 7 second 190+mph car you can not fathom how nerve racking it is to not know what the car is going to do during the next pass.

Last edited by Shearer; May 27, 2008 at 07:26 PM.
Old May 27, 2008, 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DynoFlash
And . . . a guy with a race car that is a work of art

Master Shep will always be the best in my book irespective of how he did it

I have been to his facility and seen all the hard work he does personally to stay on top - he is no joke

Al
And one of the nicest guys you will ever meet at the track.
Old May 27, 2008, 07:23 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by 1slowevo
takeout Al, the 9sec legal cage and other saftey equipment needed that makes that car well into the 2675-2725lb area
thats a light "street non gutted " evo...
Now that I think about it, that's a lot lighter than "Dan B's" car last year when it ran 9.2 @ 156
Excuses

this thread is turning even me to join in
This is a totally illogical assertion

What matters is that my car weighs in over 3100 lbs when I am ready to take a pass down the track with my full exhuast which was not in the car this weekend

I saw Dan B's car at the shootout last year and it is a straight out gutted shell - I could make lists of what is in and what is not in but who cares

At the end of the day results speak louder than words - NO excuses

I have been in the 9's with my Evo now 4 years in a row

Al
Old May 27, 2008, 07:26 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by warp9
And one of the nicest guys you will ever meet at the track.
It is amazing how kind and decent he can be when surounded by hundreds of people asking his stupid questions. I remember what a great and nice guy he was when I approached him at a race back in '03. Guys like him are few and far between.

I am looking forward to seeing his car again when it finally returns to the track.
Old May 27, 2008, 07:26 PM
Former Sponsor

Not only do I NOT regret doing it to our car this time I am proud of the fact we did it. The next time we run the car is going to be at Pinks all out. Should make for some fun. I don't care if we make the field, it will be a great chance to run the car and do some further testing.

Its amazing that Sheps car as it sits runs almost the same MPH as brents 3/4 chassis with gforce tranny, modified car.. I wouldnt discredit anything about sheps car simply cause of a rearend.. 4cyl cars going 6.9 and 7.7 with a 4g63 is absolutely amazing and has not been done by any other other 4cyl in the WORLD.. We should be proud to have 4g63's and not k20's.. LOL

Ill guarantee the black car still runs 8.99 or better with a 35r hta on it.. if you can go 9.20 in the RS which i am sure it will happen. Then no doubt the black car would run 8's @ low 160's.. Not sure if its worth your time to do but it would be fun to see nevertheless!!
Old May 27, 2008, 07:29 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Shearer
The car was not hacked apart whatsoever to put the rear end into Johns car. It wasn't a back half and IMO isn't any different than putting a non-OEM IRS(ie 300gt Rear end) unit in it. It utilized the factory strut mounts and the tires were contained within the factory wheel wells. The latest rounds of mods that John has chosen to do were for safety and to meet the rules of competition for the ET the car is capable of producing.

Slowing the car down off the launch would not have completely eliminated the rear end breakage problem as the car was still breaking parts AFTER it was already moving. This is drag racing, you can't build a good 1/4 mile car if you have to sacrifice the most vital part of getting good ET's. If that had to be done then why bother drag racing we could just join the rest of the homo's out there doing highway roll races. No thanks.

While in theory the solid rear should be a performance advantage we still have not seen the light of it. The car pulled 1.2 60's on the IRS rear end and has managed the same with the solid axle. Reliability and safety was the key and the light has been seen from that perspective. Until you've strapped yourself into a 7 second 190+mph car you can not fathom how nerve racking it is to not know what the car is going to do during the next pass.
I agree 100%

I am not just saying that becuase I run a Shearer manifold btw

I can only imagine how nerve racking a 7 second 190 mph car is after bacisally haveing my hands tremble every time I get ready to do a pass in my 155 mph car. until you are the one winding it out to 9500 on 4th gear its hard to realize just what is involved. You are taking your life in your hands each and every time. Some of the individuals who are happily slicing and dicing their evos should think about saftey as it should be the # 1 priority.

Al

Quick Reply: Any results or times from the shoot out