Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Any results or times from the shoot out

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2008, 08:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is nothing wrong with what Buschur did using a Ford 9 inch. I initially wanted to do this 6 months ago, but there was no way I could afford it or have the time. Especially since i'm building a drag car from scratch (stock evo).

I give Buschur credit for biting the bullet and taking their EVO to another level. Basically for all the people saying their should be another class for people of Buschur's kind, you can either a) spend more on your car to get to that level or b) make the best of your drag car as you can.

For people to be telling jon shep that a ford 9 inch in a eagle talon is not right, you people are so far from having any idea what it takes to build a 7 second car. So please, STOP TALKING.

By people saying Buschur needs to be in a separate class because of his rear end, what about if someone tomorrow came on this board with a GT55 and a dry sump motor. Would they be in a new class too? I mean come on now, if you own a drag car you have to pay to play. End of story.
Old May 27, 2008, 08:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DynoFlash
I think that most people so see things from their own perspectives.

Just becuase I trimed some weight from my doors does not mean I have gutted my car. People need to understand that there is no black and white, only shades of gray in between.

Its idiotic IMHO to argue about who did what to which car. Results speak for themselves.

I only do this at this point as I am continuing to learn as I move forward and becuase I enjoy doing it.
considering you have all your safety equipment, heavy 42r and full exhaust and being 400lbs lighter than a stock evo, its not gutted? Its not that you are continuing to learn, you are hacking away as that is what you need to do to keep up with the faster guy and have "no excuses"

This is a totally illogical assertion

What matters is that my car weighs in over 3100 lbs when I am ready to take a pass down the track with my full exhuast which was not in the car this weekend

I saw Dan B's car at the shootout last year and it is a straight out gutted shell - I could make lists of what is in and what is not in but who cares

At the end of the day results speak louder than words - NO excuses

I have been in the 9's with my Evo now 4 years in a row

Al
please rephrase... YOU and the car weigh 3091. Thank you for pointing that out, results do speak louder than words. I ran 9.2 wth full exhaust, dot tires and crappy 1.5 60 foot and 3100lbs with driver. Seeing a you ran a similar MPH, I believe my ET has beaten yours... like you said no excuses. I'm no big shop, have drove back and forth to events on my own with no trailer, taken home numerous wins yet I'm your average evo enthusiast.

Originally Posted by 1slowevo
What matters is, you bring up Dan's name multiple times in the past and say this and that while he has never mentioned your name. He doesn't even post alot on here any more. Do you envy him or something?

Dan's car at the shootout was in prep for Pro4 or Hotrod for the 09 season as he already mentioned. Thats a whole new ballgame at that point. As you and many others know, there is a point of no return on going full drag car, Dan decided to go that route. IMHO his drag car is one of the most tastefully done to date
Thank you, I got side tracked from my car for too long. This thread has made me get off my butt and I'm going to get it prepped and make some runs to get some updated results. I like that phrase NO excuses, maybe I will make a t-shirt and have Al sign it
Old May 27, 2008, 08:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mike@AwdMotorsports
yeah thats us.. We have been at every East coast points race this season.. Still working on the little bugs to get the car consistent for nopi.. I would have never guessed you would be on here.. I always watch you and lucas run.. Both dragsters are badass.. You guys both went like ~6.65 heads up in atco i think it was...

I wish there was more evo's man.. there are so many cars on here that could clean the power street class up.. I am building an EVO RS that i think i am going to stick a driver in and run the power street class.. That class is won by 10.2 to 10.6 cars and i know an evo on drag radials could clean up!! Turbo street is a tough class with an Auto Cobalt and Hondas that run deep in the low 9's.. Next event ill make sure i stop by the Biscuit tent and say hello..
It was actually 6.56 for both of our cars. The mov was .003. Stepped up the reaction times at E town after that close race. That weekend at atco we actually torched a head saturday night. They were ready to to stuff it back in the box and head to ohio. Thats when the engine builder in me took over lol. I got the head tore apart, went up to the track owner asked him 2 favors. One being letting us put the head in the oven at the concession stand to bake it, and to find us a machine shop to open up on a saturday night. He fixed us up with both. Got the head welded up at the track, took it to the machine shop, milled it, put receiver grooves for O rings in, and touched the valve job up. Got it put back together till 530 am, then won that close *** race. Too bad we did the same thing last weekend at Norwalk, but he and I were the only ones there, and we both work on an alcohol funny car team and had no time to fix the biscuit.

Anyway yeah I like it all. Im on here mainly cause I work on some evos locally. I have been into DSMs since about 98. My friend and I used to race the Buschur Conquest between Davids ownerships. Im swaping an auto into my dsm and if that goes well im thinking about stuffing my Talon in the trailer with the dragster, and running one of the sportsman class. I want nothing to do with any class Brian Ballard is in.. And thats not just cause he is our pseudo team mate lol.

You headin out west? We are probably stuffing our car in the trailer with Jason Hunts car, and flying out.

Last edited by jimib; May 27, 2008 at 08:41 PM.
Old May 27, 2008, 08:28 PM
Evolving Member

I can't wait for the shootout, but if it rains this time I'm gonna cry
Old May 27, 2008, 08:48 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jimib
It was actually 6.56 for both of our cars. The mov was .003. Stepped up the reaction times at E town after that close race. That weekend at atco we actually torched a head saturday night. They were ready to to stuff it back in the box and head to ohio. Thats when the engine builder in me took over lol. I got the head tore apart, went up to the track owner asked him 2 favors. One being letting us put the head in the oven at the concession stand to bake it, and to find us a machine shop to open up on a saturday night. He fixed us up with both. Got the head welded up at the track, took it to the machine shop, milled it, put receiver grooves for O rings in, and touched the valve job up. Got it put back together till 530 am, then won that close *** race. Too bad we did the same thing last weekend at Norwalk, but he and I were the only ones there, and we both work on an alcohol funny car team and had no time to fix the biscuit.

Anyway yeah I like it all. Im on here mainly cause I work on some evos locally. I have been into DSMs since about 98. My friend and I used to race the Buschur Conquest between Davids ownerships. Im swaping an auto into my dsm and if that goes well im thinking about stuffing my Talon in the trailer with the dragster, and running one of the sportsman class. I want nothing to do with any class Brian Ballard is in.. And thats not just cause he is our pseudo team mate lol.

You headin out west? We are probably stuffing our car in the trailer with Jason Hunts car, and flying out.

That right there is what racing is all about and honestly thats the part of racing i love.... The drive to go to any length to get your race car back up and running when you hurt it. At the time it sucks but in the end if you can make it work and reach the line on time and win it makes everyting so much more worth knowing you never quit and made it happen..

We arent going out west.. I just dont have enough seat time to be competitive enough on the tree with guys like ballard.. we are just focusing now on personal bests and the DSM shootout.. I will not miss that event no matter what this year!!! We will see you back on the East coast in a couple months..
Old May 27, 2008, 08:51 PM
Evolved Member

This is a totally illogical assertion

What matters is that my car weighs in over 3100 lbs when I am ready to take a pass down the track with my full exhuast which was not in the car this weekend

I saw Dan B's car at the shootout last year and it is a straight out gutted shell - I could make lists of what is in and what is not in but who cares

At the end of the day results speak louder than words - NO excuses

I have been in the 9's with my Evo now 4 years in a row

Al
Im confused you say the car weighs 3100+ lbs with the exhaust when you race it, but also state the exhaust was off this weekend which is when you raced. Also thought you made a thread about removing weight from the car and you mentioned you removed the exhaust in the process...
Old May 27, 2008, 08:51 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fimotorsports
Thank you, I got side tracked from my car for too long. This thread has made me get off my butt and I'm going to get it prepped and make some runs to get some updated results. I like that phrase NO excuses, maybe I will make a t-shirt and have Al sign it
Thats what i hope if anything will come out of this thread... I have a feeling its put some fire under alot of peoples asses including mine.. I am ready to get back in the saddle and move up that ever so controversial " List "..
Old May 27, 2008, 09:02 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Shearer
I'm sick as **** from food poisoning or something and can't believe I read all 30+pages of this crap. I want to go shoot myself right now.
well befor you shoot yourself can you ship me a 35r manifold jk man get well
Old May 27, 2008, 09:16 PM
Evolving Member

Oh snap!! Trust me guys I've been flipping Dan **** for weeks about it I can't wait to get my hands back on that thing, that car is going to be fun! I sure hope your out there in the garage putting those shifter cables in I sent ya

With how the car is setup and how much it made on the mustang dyno, if Dan gets a clean pass that thing is going to rip for sure! with Dan behind the wheel I can only imagine what that thing is going to do.

Damn, I just realized he's going to stomp my *** at BOTI in vegas DAMNIT!! haha.
Old May 27, 2008, 09:34 PM
Account Disabled

considering you have all your safety equipment, heavy 42r and full exhaust and being 400lbs lighter than a stock evo, its not gutted? Its not that you are continuing to learn, you are hacking away as that is what you need to do to keep up with the faster guy and have "no excuses"

please rephrase... YOU and the car weigh 3091. Thank you for pointing that out, results do speak louder than words. I ran 9.2 wth full exhaust, dot tires and crappy 1.5 60 foot and 3100lbs with driver. Seeing a you ran a similar MPH, I believe my ET has beaten yours... like you said no excuses. I'm no big shop, have drove back and forth to events on my own with no trailer, taken home numerous wins yet I'm your average evo enthusiast.

Good get off your butt and have fun !

Remember - it takes more than a one hit wonder time slip to win races, it takes a consistant and reliable machine. At last year's rain delayed shootout, your car, the AMS car and the Buschur car all sat broken before the 1st round. My car has been so unreliable this year I would be more suprized if it made it down the track than if it broke.

I am changing directions, after this weekend I am laying off the huge power scene and going with a more reliable and consistant set up.

As a one man team like yourself, I have a huge collection of trophies and wins. Somehow, after I got into the power championships I created a car which is unable to finish a race.

All of this is positive as it gets me thinking.

Al
Old May 27, 2008, 09:38 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Jim_Patterson
Im confused you say the car weighs 3100+ lbs with the exhaust when you race it, but also state the exhaust was off this weekend which is when you raced. Also thought you made a thread about removing weight from the car and you mentioned you removed the exhaust in the process...
When I put the exhuast back on for Pinks TV show it will weigh more than 3100 lbs
The corner weight this week was without an exhuast

Hope that clarifies ?

Al
Old May 27, 2008, 09:41 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Mike@AwdMotorsports
Thats what i hope if anything will come out of this thread... I have a feeling its put some fire under alot of peoples asses including mine.. I am ready to get back in the saddle and move up that ever so controversial " List "..
This is one of the best threads I have seen on Evo M for a long time

First - its touching on some taboo subjects that dont get enough attention - the gutting of race cars and the difference between a race car and a street car

Second - its a lot of open and frank discussion

Third - A lot of the people who are involved in doing this stuff have chosen to chime in and share their thoughts

Al
Old May 27, 2008, 09:48 PM
Evolved Member

When I put the exhuast back on for Pinks TV show it will weigh more than 3100 lbs
The corner weight this week was without an exhuast

Hope that clarifies ?

Al

Gotcha
Old May 27, 2008, 09:54 PM
Account Disabled

I found this momento of my Ohio journey stuck in between my transfer case and the block

Old May 27, 2008, 09:59 PM
Evolved Member

I found this momento of my Ohio journey stuck in between my transfer case and the block

Al i found this on another car forum and man i had to put it up Its all in good humor bud

Quick Reply: Any results or times from the shoot out