Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Hydrogen powered Evo???, MitsuBeastly

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2008, 06:25 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chuntington101
thats a good point. i dont know if you could get away with using the stock ECU. The standalone would make things easier. you could run two maps, one for LPG and one for gas.

Chris.
well **** how much does it cost cuz propane is hella cheaper the 93 these days.
i already has plans to run standalone. sign me up
Old May 28, 2008, 08:41 AM

I love how threads stay ON TOPIC!!!!

but neways, i didnt start this to use ANY alternative fuel source, and yes, Hydrogen is a VIOLENT gas, but, the hydrogen used is NOT stored, it is immediately used, NO TANK TO HOLD IT, just the tank to make it...

I need ways to make this work, not suggestions on what else to use...

my worries currently,
HOW MUCH does H2Ice increase cylinder pressures???
What about the EXTENSIVE vacuum a turbo car will produce, and a way to avoid sucking up water from the tank...
Ignition and combustion temps of hydrogen, will this cause or prevent preignition, and raise or lower EGT's???

BTW, this is my local forum a lil more info here...

http://www.lastreetkings.com/forum/v...?p=10186#10186
Old May 28, 2008, 09:02 AM
Evolving Member

haha...''Hydrogen tank drive-by''...
Old May 28, 2008, 09:04 AM
Evolving Member

propane on the other hand might not be such a bad idea
Old May 28, 2008, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MitsuBeastly
I love how threads stay ON TOPIC!!!!

but neways, i didnt start this to use ANY alternative fuel source, and yes, Hydrogen is a VIOLENT gas, but, the hydrogen used is NOT stored, it is immediately used, NO TANK TO HOLD IT, just the tank to make it...

I need ways to make this work, not suggestions on what else to use...

my worries currently,
HOW MUCH does H2Ice increase cylinder pressures???
What about the EXTENSIVE vacuum a turbo car will produce, and a way to avoid sucking up water from the tank...
Ignition and combustion temps of hydrogen, will this cause or prevent preignition, and raise or lower EGT's???

BTW, this is my local forum a lil more info here...

http://www.lastreetkings.com/forum/v...?p=10186#10186
My friend just built and installed the hydrogen system on his car last week. He hasn't driven enough to get any results yet, but he met a guy in a gas station that was getting 65mpg on the same system on a Civic. If it works I may install it on my Evo. It takes like an hour to make and only costs $35 so its not really a big deal if it doesn't work.
Old May 28, 2008, 09:36 AM

cool man... just be CAREFUL, we are using MAF not speed density so idk about that aspect, and also, out cylinder pressured are pretty phenominal and the amount of vacuum, hell, it might be fine, but then again, your not slapping it on a civic... its an EVO... lol... i was looking at it yes, for fuel economy, but also for performance... it's cool you're interrested... thx
Old May 28, 2008, 09:37 AM

our* cylinder pressure, not out... my bad
Old May 28, 2008, 11:53 AM
Evolved Member

cool man... just be CAREFUL, we are using MAF not speed density so idk about that aspect, and also, out cylinder pressured are pretty phenominal and the amount of vacuum, hell, it might be fine, but then again, your not slapping it on a civic... its an EVO... lol... i was looking at it yes, for fuel economy, but also for performance... it's cool you're interrested... thx
I'm using speed density (AEM EMS).
Old May 28, 2008, 12:31 PM

cool... there ya go then, your all set, now what about tuning??? and what about accidentally sucking up water??? is it possible??? EGT's, and ignition temps... detonation???
Old May 28, 2008, 12:32 PM

p.s. what kind of power are you making on your current mods??? just wondering... and u have a stock bottom end???
Old May 29, 2008, 04:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by xXBadAndyXx
well **** how much does it cost cuz propane is hella cheaper the 93 these days.
i already has plans to run standalone. sign me up
well 93octane is about £1.13 a ltr here right now!!! thats around $2.20 a ltr!! lol

Chris.
Old May 29, 2008, 05:14 AM
Evolved Member

doesnt that equate to like 10$ a gallon for gas over there ?
Old May 29, 2008, 07:21 AM
Evolved Member

p.s. what kind of power are you making on your current mods??? just wondering... and u have a stock bottom end???
Don't really know because I've never dynod the car. All I know is it's a lot of fun to drive, and makes mince meat of most high end sports cars. The only engine mods are in the head.
Old May 29, 2008, 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
cool... there ya go then, your all set, now what about tuning??? and what about accidentally sucking up water??? is it possible??? EGT's, and ignition temps... detonation???
If you were going to build something like this, I don't think you would need to worry about tuning. The amount of H2 and O2 that is being produced is small compared to the amount of gasoline that is being used. The biggest ratio is at low airflow situations, like idle and cruise. For WOT, it would be a negligible change.

As far as sucking up water, I don't think that is an issue either, depending on how you design your water tank and whether or not it tips over or something. I don't think there is enough vacuum otherwise to worry about sucking up water from the tank.

I did some quick math on the amount of brown's gas that the Hydro 4000 is supposed to make and I don't see how people are making double the MPG, unless something in my math was wrong. They say the Hydro 4000 makes 2-3 L/min of H2 + O2. Depending on airflow conditions, that would equate to about 5-10% of the total combustion energy.

Anyway, if you do this, post up your results. I'm interested in what you find.

Last edited by l2r99gst; May 29, 2008 at 08:36 AM.
Old May 29, 2008, 08:41 AM

ok, so Hydrogen accelerates the combustion time of fuels like gas and diesel,
it's all burned at once, raising cylinder pressures, and optimizing your fuel by using it at the most oportune time...
now the only problem is when does it ignite??? i believe that the ignition temp would be higher on Hydrogen, so pre-ignition wouldnt be a problem, (like running a higher octane fuel) but, i also believe that you would need to retard your timing to get the most benefit out of this setup... due to the fact that the fuel and gas combination explodes immediately and violently...

sound correct???

Quick Reply: Hydrogen powered Evo???, MitsuBeastly