Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

EVO Cutting out when wet

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2003, 07:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After the rain did anyone get a smell or burning plastic comming from the car?
Old Aug 15, 2003, 10:03 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by umiami80
Here us a weird theory, your engine is sucking in water thanks to the ram air intake.

Listen

I took off my intake to get to the STock BCS to remove the restrictor to get more boost and power (Works great, holds higher boost until red, stock pattern)

Anywasy TO get to the clamp on the MAF< I just removed the Upper IC Pipe, and there was a LOT of wter in there, just rianed that day as I got home. like 4-5 OZ's, this is not good.
Boy thats concerning $hit!! Was it the upper I/C pipe or just in the hose that connects to the MAF? If its in the upper I/C that means the water would have been ingested at the air filter, run through the turbo, then through the FMIC and into the upper I/C pipe. Yikes!!

I rarely have mine out in the rain, but will have to remember to check next time I do!!
Thanks for the heads-up bro!

N10S
Old Aug 15, 2003, 10:22 AM
Evolved Member

would it bad if just a little water got into the engine?

Obviously a lot water would create problems but what about a little?
Old Aug 15, 2003, 04:42 PM
Account Disabled

ANY WATER in the motor is bad, it doesn't compress, remember? It was in the UPIC Pipe, you are sucking in water, less room for air and fuel cuz the WATER takes the place, less power.

He's a thought, each cylinder is only .5 liters, half a liter, what happens if you suck in say .2 liters, and the piston trys to compress 5 liters of air to 1 (Hint, water does not compress)
Old Aug 16, 2003, 12:26 AM

Maybe the car is just hot...most car get hot and feels kinda laggy after a good drive............if your car don't feel like its pulling then full throttle it.....hahaha then you'll really feel it. (comic relief)
Old Aug 20, 2003, 07:35 AM

No burning plastic smell

And it was full throttle!!! often is, the Evo's not fast enough without it.

Major cutting out, no mistake.

Thanks
L8r
Old Aug 20, 2003, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

I took mine to a second dealer and they performed the recall as they were supposed to...... they sealed and even sprayed a **** load of wter on the car and directly on the affeected area and tested after they sealed the car.....

Its been raining today and hopefully it is fixed..,..
Old Sep 2, 2003, 11:12 AM

Anybody come to a conclusion on this? I was coming back from dallas sunday and it rained the whole 3 hour trip. I stopped for gas about an hour from austin, and when I punched it to get on the freeway, it stuttered in 2nd and 3rd at WOT. It felt like it was missing or the fuel filter was clogged. I initially thought bad gas, but then I remembered reading this thread. Did the recall fix this?
Old Sep 2, 2003, 12:53 PM
Evolved Member

I had the recall done to my car a couple of weeks ago and I have not had the problem since.....

Get them to seal it whether or not they think they need to. They get paid for it either way........So make sure that they do it and dont charge mitsu for work they did not perform.
Old Sep 2, 2003, 06:47 PM
Account Disabled

I think I had state this before, I drove my car in the rain, then took off teh Upper C pipe, found ALOT OF WATER in there, like 6+OZ. Thank the ream air intake.
Old Sep 2, 2003, 07:07 PM
Evolved Member

Is water getting past the air filter and messing up the mass air sensor?
Old Sep 2, 2003, 07:17 PM
Evolved Member

hey i just made a post about this, not realizing this was already made. mine was called troubleshoot: boost falling off. same thing. long road trip in the rain this last weekend. coming from a toll booth first and second pulled hard, but third gear stopped at 5K rpms. this happened two times. then today after drying out for two days it didnt feel like it was boosting up right like it normally does at about 3K rpms. i have had it for a month and have just about 2k miles on it. anyone come to a resolution with this or contact a dealer??? i think ill contact mine. PM me with info, thanks..

jeff
Old Sep 2, 2003, 08:25 PM
Evolving Member

I've experienced this problem too. It's only in 4th gear, however, and only when driving on the highway in rain. If I punch it in 4th, the tachometer hits a wall at 4k rpm.

After the first time this happened, the car didn't feel like it was making full boost, so I reset the ECU and everything was back to normal.

I just had this happen again tonight on the way home from school. A few blocks later I stepped on it, and it felt like the motor was fine. I'll see what it feels like tomorrow on my way to work.

My theory is that water is going into the intake pipe and then into the motor. The first time around, the motor started making some pretty wierd noises while I was still on the highway. Under throttle it sounded like the motor was heaving or trying to lunge.

I think that I'll pull my I/C piping and see what's in there.
Old Sep 2, 2003, 08:31 PM
Evolved Member

I highly doubt the water in the pipe thing. Doesnt the WRC Evo (powered by HKS) use the HKS suction kit? From the intake, the water has to go through the turbo, through the intercooler piping, the intercooler, then the IC piping again. Unless its gushing water in there, I doubt that It'll make it to the intake manifold.
Old Sep 2, 2003, 08:34 PM
Evolved Member

I imagine where small amounts of moisture getting on the MAS causing it to generate a false signal would lead to these types of hesitation, but I've been riding with friends around race tracks in heavy rain and had no problems. One weekend I think his evo ran through a talk and half of gas while slip sliding around the track without any engine issues, the mud kicked up all over his car and in his wheels is a different thread.

Quick Reply: EVO Cutting out when wet