Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

EVO Cutting out when wet

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2003, 10:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EVO Cutting out when wet

Thanks for any Idea regarding what this may be.

Problem - I recently went on a 300 mile trip with my stock EVO and ran quite a bit through some very heavy rain storms. I stopped for a few minutes during the storm, left the engine idling, and when I got going again, the engine couldn’t pull past about 5000 RPM.

I don’t know if stopping contributed to the problem, or the 30 or 40 miles at 80mph driven in the hard rain up to that point.

Eventually after things dried out, it got better, but it still feels as if it stumbles ever so slightly around the same point. I may be oversensitive, at this point, because stock dyno curves show a dip in HP right around where the stumble occurred, so this may be what I am feeling.

I initially thought this problem could be related to the recall for ECU connectors not sealing well and corroding, thinking that if any moisture got into the harness maybe it was disrupting a sensor or ignition signal. But my particular car’s VIN is not listed for the recalls discussed. I checked with my dealer and with Mitsubishi direct. So the seals should be intact.

It was suggested by another member that water may have entered the hood vent, and pooled around the plugs, I inspected on and around the top of the engine and under the plug cover for signs of water, dried water drops, dirt, etc. and could not find any indication that water got behind the cover.

Also after looking a little more, any water that entered the hood vent would drop right onto the shield over the manifold and evaporate, and not onto the top of the engine.

Has this happened to anyone else, my dealer didn’t offer much help other than to say bring it in if it happens again, and my suspicion is that they would not be of much help if it isn’t stumbling when I bring it to them.

Let me know what you guys think, I don’t like the idea of a brand new car not running right in the rain.

Thanks

L8r
Old Aug 13, 2003, 10:40 AM
Evolved Member

I noticed the same thing the other day;

When stopping at a toll booth, when leaving the stop My car didnt seem to want to pull at all.. Almost like it was missing or wsnt getting any boost.

the second time was on my way home and downshifting same kind of symptoms.

I took mine in for the recall and they told me mine doesnt leak, and they didnt perform the leak seal. wtf?

Also my keyless entry stops working when it rains.

They did nothing and dont seem to care......
Old Aug 13, 2003, 11:16 AM
Evolving Member

There is a recall out on some EVO's that deals with water leakage into the engine computer wiring. You can get the specific details on the NHTSA web site. The recall mainly affects Outlanders but some forum members have said their EVO's were also involved. Not every EVO is under the recall but it sounds like your's has the sypmtoms. Call your dealer, mention the possible recall and ask him to see if your car is affected. It's his problem to fix provided the car has not been modified.
Old Aug 13, 2003, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

I checked mine with Mitus NA directly and they said that it was under a recall status.

Mitsu dealer told me they turned the air on, ran it for a while and spryed soapy water to see if it would bubble...

they said mine didnt leak but I get all these crazy issues when it rains.

Dont know but doesnt seem like a minor spray of water is gonna simulate the type of complete saturation we get here in florida.
Old Aug 13, 2003, 11:57 AM

Same thing here liquid on acceleration, but my keyless entry still works (so far)

My car is not listed for recall, yet I have Moisture Problems.

What do they do for the recall test????

It sounds to me like they go under the passenger side, with the AC on (to pressurize the cabin) and look for air to bubble from inside the car to the outside of the car, by using soapy water.

So they are not looking to cause the problem, they are only looking for a leak when the soapy water bubbles around the seal.

That at least makes sense as far as what I understand regarding the leak.

Can anyone confirm this is their procedure.

Is anyone else having wet weather problems.
Old Aug 13, 2003, 12:02 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
hey guys with recall cars, what are all of your build dates, and same to those having the problems but aren't recalls
Old Aug 13, 2003, 12:58 PM

May 2003 Build Date
Old Aug 13, 2003, 12:59 PM

2000 Miles on the Odometer
Old Aug 13, 2003, 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

january 2003

Just had mine done today. I would call mmsa and ask them to authorise your delaer to do it anyway based on the problems you have had.
Old Aug 14, 2003, 05:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
march of 03 no wet driving issues yet
Old Aug 14, 2003, 05:10 AM
Evolving Member

I have a january build date. I did indeed call the 888 number to confirm the recall. I'm scheduled for next week.

I have gone through a few heavy downpours recently....but haven't had any problems yet.
Old Aug 14, 2003, 05:07 PM
Account Disabled

Here us a weird theory, your engine is sucking in water thanks to the ram air intake.

Listen

I took off my intake to get to the STock BCS to remove the restrictor to get more boost and power (Works great, holds higher boost until red, stock pattern)

Anywasy TO get to the clamp on the MAF< I just removed the Upper IC Pipe, and there was a LOT of wter in there, just rianed that day as I got home. like 4-5 OZ's, this is not good.
Old Aug 14, 2003, 05:10 PM
Evolved Member

Try installing the Hyper ground kit or a DIY kit. This might help with electrical issues.

Might....
Old Aug 14, 2003, 05:24 PM
Evolved Member

i had a similar thing happen to me when i drove from NJ back to Chicago last month..

it was raining really hard and when i tried to go WOT it would start to cut out and hesitate at the higher RPMs..

i thought i had just gotten bad gas somewhere... but maybe it actually IS the water...

i have also taken the weather stripping away (for more airflow)... i think ill put that back now!!

i'm not sure weather this has anything to do with the recall.. but i'm gonna take care of mine anyway.. just to be sure..
Old Aug 15, 2003, 05:38 AM

Thanks for all the good suggestions,

Apparently this is not an isolated incident, we have at least 3 or 4 here that are experiencing the same problem.

UMIAMI I hope its not water in the intake, but I will check there if it happens again.

BADBOY I think you have given me the necessary motivation to build a grounding kit. It may not help but it might be worth a try.

OLDSWEDE I was on a long distance trip as well, and gave a little consideration to bad gas, but with how hard it was raining I had to think it was water related.

Quick Reply: EVO Cutting out when wet