Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

coolant flush?

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2008, 03:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
coolant flush?

i took the radiator out the other day to do my new turbo setup and i was wondering whats the best way to do a flush on the radiator? just rinse out with water? and then should i do anything with the resevoir tank? dumb question i know but just wondering what is the proper way of doing it
Old May 31, 2008, 03:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
do not hook your hoes up or use regular water. if you dont have a machine to do this then all you can really do is fill it back up with distilled water and let the car run for 20 min. then re drain it. i guess keep doing it until it all comes out clean. then refill how you want to do it. i dont know any other way to do this without a machine and not using a hoes
Old May 31, 2008, 03:54 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most Manufacturers recommend a "drain and fill".

You can flush the system completely by removing a heater core hose and flush water through the system.

I recommend draining the system completely by letting all the fluid drain out, pore a gallon of water through it, let that drain out than refill with antifreeze.
Old May 31, 2008, 04:38 PM
Evolved Member

i have all the fluid drained out cause the radiator is out of the car so should i just put a gallon of water through it and let it drain out? and then refill it?
Old May 31, 2008, 07:59 PM
Evolved Member

wait. why are you doing a flush?? or do you need to just top it off after you put the rad back in??? use distilled water only. not tap or hoes water. how you mix the water with antifreeze is up to you.
Old May 31, 2008, 08:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yes use distilled or deionized water always. They sell flush solution if that's what you want to do, but I don't use them, I just use the water.

I think what you're asking though is how to flush the whole thing. Basically what you want to do is drain the res. and the rad. . Then fill back up the res and the rad. with the flush solution, and run it for a minute, then drain. Repeat a few times, more with just the distiller water, then fill with your coolant of choice. Drain the reservoir and the radiator every time. It helps to have a fluid extractor for the reservoir. Don't worry about the lines that's why you run the motor for a few minutes.
Old Jun 1, 2008, 08:20 AM
Evolved Member

hmm so if the radiator is out and then i put it back in can i just refill it with distilled water? cause all of the fluid is out of the radiator obviously...and a lot came out of the engine lines as well
Old Jun 1, 2008, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evotuner04
hmm so if the radiator is out and then i put it back in can i just refill it with distilled water? cause all of the fluid is out of the radiator obviously...and a lot came out of the engine lines as well

yes put the rad back in. fill it with the distilled water. then start the car. stand buy the rad with your water jug and wait for it to get ''sucked'' into the motor. then *** it is doing this fill the rad back up. do this till everything is hot and no more fluid is being taken in. how to tell is when it begins to poor out ALOT.
Old Jun 1, 2008, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

"pour out alot?" as in over flowing out of the radiator filler?
Old Jun 1, 2008, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

"pour out alot?" as in over flowing out of the radiator filler?
right. it wont fly out and burn you. but it will over flow. when it is doing this the water is expanding and the thermostat is about to open. when it opens thats when the water level in the rad drops IF there is air in the system. thats why when it drops ''as it drops'' you fill it up. then when there is no more air in the system it will just start coming out. thats when you shut the car off and let it cool down and put the cap back on. you can do it hot but you might burn your self.
Old Jun 1, 2008, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

alrighty sounds good thanks for the help i appreciate it.......and you dont think i'll need to put anymore antifreeze in it even tho most of it prolly has drained out?
Old Jun 1, 2008, 09:59 AM
Evolved Member

alrighty sounds good thanks for the help i appreciate it.......and you dont think i'll need to put anymore antifreeze in it even tho most of it prolly has drained out?
well after you do this step tap off the over flow tank. sometimes it sucks a little more in. but you should be set from here.
Old Jun 1, 2008, 10:02 AM
Evolved Member

okay i just wanna have enough antifreeze and not too much water