Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

WTF, Exedy stg 1 clutch lasted 5K miles?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2008, 04:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WTF, Exedy stg 1 clutch lasted 5K miles?

The Details: So I'm making a little over 300whp now, but I got my clutch installed at the same time as my new mods/tune. When I picked up the car, I thought the clutch felt kinda funny, but the tuner assured me it would go away. It didn't. After 5K miles, the clutch is gone. I raped on my OEM clutch w/ untuned mods and it lasted 20K miles. So does this sound like a bad install? Could it be because my new clutch was broken in on the dyno? Help me out, should I be asking for a new clutch? This was a $1200 job, parts/labor.
Old Jun 1, 2008, 04:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what exactly is your symptom that it's gone?
did you try adjusting your clutch pedal after the install?
Old Jun 1, 2008, 04:08 PM

Clutch slips really badly from a stop and in between shifts. It's almost completely gone. Everything was done at the shop, I've adjusted the clutch slightly since but it's still pretty bad.
Old Jun 1, 2008, 04:34 PM
Evolved Member

I'd say the install was bad.
Check your clutch salve cylinder and your master cylinder before you take my word though.
Old Jun 1, 2008, 04:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
What do you mean it didn't feel right when you picked it up?
Old Jun 1, 2008, 04:52 PM
Evolved Member

Yup the Exedy stage 1 clutch does suck, I have the same one on my car. I am afraid to even launch my car on this clutch, because I just know it won't last very long. I have launched it a couple times and it was just horrible and this is after having launched the OEM close to 70 or 80 times at the drag strip and sometimes on the street. I honestly don't think this clutch will last more than 20 launches. In case people are getting confused, the stage 1 Exedy clutch kit is the cheapy single disc unit that is barely better (if it is even better?) than the stock unit. I only bought the Exedy stage 1 because I was tight on money and needed a clutch. When I or if I ever start to mod again, I'm gonna switch this one out for a more expensive clutch, I guess that old saying is true in this case "You get what you pay for"
Old Jun 1, 2008, 04:52 PM
Evolved Member

Sounds like the clutch may not have been fully engaging.. based on what your describing. I'm not very impressed with this clutch either.. it's got a really heavy pedal and had harsh engagement until I got the pedal perfect.

Last edited by Mr. Evo IX; Jun 1, 2008 at 04:56 PM.
Old Jun 1, 2008, 04:56 PM
Evolved Member

i have 0 problems with MY stock clutch.. im at 30k and for argument sake to be "legal", i "track" my car everyday since i got my car, and since i moved to the south started doin drag and am at 30+ launches.... i guess just be smooth with it... when it comes time for me to get a new clutch i'm going with OEM
Old Jun 1, 2008, 04:58 PM
Evolved Member

I don't know, maybe some people have had this clutch and had it last for a while, but I drive my EVO IX a lot (47,000 miles and counting) and put it through a lot of abuse. I felt adequately confident to launch the car on the OEM unit, but I do not feel confident at all to launch this exedy unit. Maybe I got a bad install too?
Old Jun 1, 2008, 04:59 PM
Evolving Member

When you said the clutch was broken in on the dyno, do you mean they stapped it on the dyno before even letting the FW seed onto the clutch?
Old Jun 1, 2008, 05:10 PM
Evolved Member

the issue most likely lies in the installer if you said it felt strange immediately after the install.

Originally Posted by kanyonkid
when it comes time for me to get a new clutch i'm going with OEM
there's a first for me... don't think i've heard anyone here say that
Old Jun 1, 2008, 05:55 PM
Evolved Member

When I first got this clutch I was really dissapointed. I was getting locked out of 3rd at high rpm, and it had terrible engagement, and I could barely muster a stock ET/Trap at IFO. I had one decent run which soothed my dissapointment but overall the clutch dissapointed me big time that day.

When I got home, I loosened the clutch adjustment nut and started with the engagement around 3/4 pedal and started adjusting the rod to be longer. I got to where it only shows maybe 3 or 4 threads when the lockout fixed but the engagement was just a little weird but it was happy the lockout was gone. After a day of driving I settled on that setting. When I tightened the bolt the weirdness went away and it engages like the stock clutch now (except for the force required to push it in). I've been to the dragstrip a few times recently and made 2-4 passes with no lockouts and got my best 60ft on Wednesday. My suggestion.. See if you can adjust the nasty feel out of the Exedy Stg1, I was able to fix mine

Would I do this clutch again? Probably not. I drove a VIII with a Fidanza 3.2 carbon kevlar. It had a starter engagement problem with the fidanza flywheel. Alex shimmed the starter a little and this clutch turned into a gem and although it feels light it's supposed to hold the power great so it's probably going to be my next choice.
Old Jun 1, 2008, 05:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by holler mcdollar
there's a first for me... don't think i've heard anyone here say that
well im barely over 300whp.... unlike every one else on these forums haha
Old Jun 1, 2008, 06:29 PM
Evolving Member

Exedy twin 31000 miles and SEVERAL launches, stil holding great, broke it in by the manual the first 500 have never had a problem, i was told the exedy stg one is a stock disc with better pressure plate?
Old Jun 1, 2008, 06:33 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A simple search would have showed you that that is the worst clutch in the market. It is WEAKER THAN STOCK.

This is what happens when someone wants to pay $265 for an Evo clutch.

Quick Reply: WTF, Exedy stg 1 clutch lasted 5K miles?