Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Cam Question?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2008, 10:15 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GSC S2s work for me
Old Jun 4, 2008, 10:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
i cant give you experience with the BCs cause i got cosworth M2s on the stock turbo. I have the upgraded springs and retainers and except for the mean idol i have no issues with the car. One of the posts in the northwest section has how big cams help that stock snail go. Basically i have seen a few cars on stock turbo make great power on the big cams so get them, those are popular now for a reason. They work, and work well.
Old Jun 4, 2008, 09:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
raiceboi697 what duration are those? And do you have adj. camgears?
Old Jun 4, 2008, 09:32 PM
Evolving Member

You can't go wrong with HKS. The great thing about them, other than making good power, is that upgrading the springs and retainers is not needed with any of their cams including their 280's. Yet there are still people that rev up to 8000+ with no issues. You also don't need cam gears. Unless of course you want to fine tune it and move the powerband a bit.
Old Jun 5, 2008, 05:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lghtngyello03
Was that with stock valve springs too? And was that tuned or untuned, & with or without adj. cam gears?
stock everything on the motor. If u are doing cams you should do the headstuds while you are in there. Gears were at zero. Tuned
Old Jun 5, 2008, 07:13 AM
Evolved Member

ya i got adj cam gears, springs, retainers, and head studs. they are the 272's with 11.0 lift nice and big duration. im like to drag so i picked these plus they(cosworth) do a lot of F1 stuff so i know they make good stuff. if you have any questions just shoot me a PM and ill answer anything you want, maybe even get a good deal on some cosworths if they sound to your liking. if you wanna chat in person im in south carolina for the next lil bit and i could go over everything face to face, LMK
Old Jun 5, 2008, 07:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by lexat20
stock everything on the motor. If u are doing cams you should do the headstuds while you are in there. Gears were at zero. Tuned
Waste of time and $$$$ IMO... How many people do you know that have streched and or broken their headstuds? This topic has been beat to death and most people agree this is not an issue on our cars.
FWIW, I have HKS 264's and I find them to be a great street cam, no idle/stalling issues here and they make good power from lower in the rev band.
Old Jun 5, 2008, 07:46 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SixOneNine
You can't go wrong with HKS. The great thing about them, other than making good power, is that upgrading the springs and retainers is not needed with any of their cams including their 280's. Yet there are still people that rev up to 8000+ with no issues. You also don't need cam gears. Unless of course you want to fine tune it and move the powerband a bit.

Thanks man, this is the kind of answer, for comparison, that I was looking for.
Old Jun 5, 2008, 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by STikiller.com
When you install a larger cam, like the or BC 272 GSC S2 HKS 272....ect. you have to upgrade the valve springs.
Smaller upgrades like GSC S1 (268s) do not require spring upgrades and will not kill your idle quality or driveability.
They work great with stock up to GT30R turbos.

Check out the AMS tests and others and see what would work best for you personally.
Hope this helps.
Thanks,
Travis
You don't need valve springs for the HKS 272's. I have them and really like them alot. Plus it has a dirty little lope. Unfortunately I installed them at the same time as everything else in my sig. Before I was retuned I made 330whp on a very crappy tune. I have since been retuned and the car pulls much harder probably due to a lil' more tq. But haven't been back to the dyno again.I haven't compared it to others but for my application its great IMPO.
Old Jun 5, 2008, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

grillpt, its true you may not need to but for a bit of security and peace of mind for me i got them. basically they help me sleep better at night
Old Jun 5, 2008, 08:38 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lghtngyello03
Before too many people flame me, I have done a lot of searching but couldn't get the answer that I'm looking for, so, here goes. I was wondering what would be the best cams for my 03 with a stock turbo. I know that a bunch of you are gonna lean towards the HKS or Tomei cams, but I was wondering, what are some of your experiences with Brian Crower 272s? From previous experiences with older turbo DSM's, BC has worked pretty well for me, but I'm not sure how they would respond with an Evo. I'm about to do the 60,000 mile tune up, and figured while the t-belt is off, I may as well start the mods, and what better place than cams right?

Things I'm looking for are, what kind of driveability do they have. Tune or no tune? Direct drop in? What kind of gains, low end and top end power loss or gain, loss of spool up, things such as that, and if you liked them or not, and why.

My mods are, full 3" exhaust, HKS SSQ BOV, and a K&N cone filter.

Thanks in advance guys.
well i got my BC 272 (BC0121) for me IX yesterday and tomorrow im going install it then i can give u a resault.. i put a thread in here earlier about these Brian crower cams you can see here.. https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=349602

but about the springs, i read on the homepage of brian crower that the OEM SPRINGS OK! so im going to use stock springs.
Old Jun 5, 2008, 02:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by raiceboi697
grillpt, its true you may not need to but for a bit of security and peace of mind for me i got them. basically they help me sleep better at night
+1 I suggest them b/c they are less than 100 bucks and if you ever think of running over 25 lbs it will only help.
Old Jun 5, 2008, 06:44 PM
Evolving Member

i just picked up my car with s2's on a fresh tune and it idles like a built v8 pulls like nobodys business too. it's an entirely different car. dyno #'s on sat
Old Jun 5, 2008, 06:47 PM
Evolved Member

I have S2s on stock turbo love em and my idle is not bad at all
Old Jun 5, 2008, 06:58 PM
Evolved Member

lexat, i still believe that the stock studs will start to streach or get to there breaking point at 25 and above psi, but i have seen friends of mine do over 25 on stock studs for a long time with no ill will to there motors not the right answer but, i personally am going to a bigger turbo soon and know that while 25 psi is 25 psi the way it hits isnt going to be the same so thats why i got them for the added security and peace of mind. plus its one of those while your in there goofing around in the head you might as well switch them out.

and grillpt the HKS is a nice cam thou a tad to mild for most as it seems to be only a slight bump over the stock units + with HKS's recent price bump they dont even seem worth it anymore, other brands are less expensive for bigger results

Quick Reply: Cam Question?