Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Cam Question?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2008, 10:49 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Cam Question?

Before too many people flame me, I have done a lot of searching but couldn't get the answer that I'm looking for, so, here goes. I was wondering what would be the best cams for my 03 with a stock turbo. I know that a bunch of you are gonna lean towards the HKS or Tomei cams, but I was wondering, what are some of your experiences with Brian Crower 272s? From previous experiences with older turbo DSM's, BC has worked pretty well for me, but I'm not sure how they would respond with an Evo. I'm about to do the 60,000 mile tune up, and figured while the t-belt is off, I may as well start the mods, and what better place than cams right?

Things I'm looking for are, what kind of driveability do they have. Tune or no tune? Direct drop in? What kind of gains, low end and top end power loss or gain, loss of spool up, things such as that, and if you liked them or not, and why.

My mods are, full 3" exhaust, HKS SSQ BOV, and a K&N cone filter.

Thanks in advance guys.
Old Jun 3, 2008, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

HKS 272's you'll be happy with them. Search around there is 50 threads just like this floating around now.
Old Jun 3, 2008, 12:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You obviously didn't search too well because there is a thread in this section that has a breakdown of cam reviews done by AMS.
Old Jun 3, 2008, 12:34 PM
Former Sponsor

When you install a larger cam, like the or BC 272 GSC S2 HKS 272....ect. you have to upgrade the valve springs.
Smaller upgrades like GSC S1 (268s) do not require spring upgrades and will not kill your idle quality or driveability.
They work great with stock up to GT30R turbos.

Check out the AMS tests and others and see what would work best for you personally.
Hope this helps.
Thanks,
Travis
Old Jun 3, 2008, 12:55 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=343818

didn't search that hard my friend
Old Jun 3, 2008, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

He did search, I think he is looking for a comparisson from the HKS, Tomei VS BC cams. Does anyone have an answer for this person? The AMS cam comparisson doesn't answer all of the questions. Sounds like he is asking for someone who has personal experience.
Old Jun 3, 2008, 01:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by chaotichoax
That test is with a AMS GT35R turbo kit, not a stock turbo. Also, almost all of those require upgraded valvetrain, not that the op mentioned that as a limitation.

There are a ton of threads and it's confusing as hell. Basically, if you read through all of them, you will see the same names coming up over and over again. BC has a lot of fans. "The Best" is going to be pretty subjective.

Been wrestling with the same question for my 05, and for the moment, GSC S2 with the single springs and chromolly retainers is what I'm leaning toward. That's today though, who knows what I'll think tomorrow, lol.
Old Jun 3, 2008, 09:41 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks hellcat and coffeeslug , you hit the nail on the head. I am looking for personal experience with the BC cams. I was unsure about having to change springs and retainers also. I have BC 272s with the BC0100 spring and retainer kit on my 4g powered Mirage turbo hatch, and didn't know if it would be safe to use stock springs on my Evo. I didn't gamble with the stock springs on that motor, because everything that went in it was new and good quality, (do it right the first time).

chaotichoax, read into the post a little more next time, it says ... " but I was wondering, what are some of your experiences with Brian Crower 272s?"

And Chemwarrior....I did read all of the cam tests in the Turbo magazine, because I am subscribed to the mag, and thats the first thing I read when I got each three copies. That car is far from stock. Like coffeeslug and hellcat said, my questions weren't answered.

Thanks to all that didn't bash, and actually answered my questions.

Last edited by lghtngyello03; Jun 4, 2008 at 08:00 AM.
Old Jun 3, 2008, 09:45 PM
fre
Evolved Member

I have HKS 272 cams with a GT35R. Haven't touched the valve springs and rev to 8500rpm. This has been for the last 39k miles on the engine.

From the sticky at the top of this forum:

HKS 272
Advertised Duration - 272 deg
Effective Duration - 214 deg @ 1mm
Lift - 10.8mm Int / 10.2mm Exh
Lobe Centerlines - 110 deg Int / 110 deg Exh
LSA - 110 deg
Stock valve springs OK

They don't mention BC cams unforntunately, so I am not sure about stock springs with those.

Last edited by fre; Jun 3, 2008 at 10:06 PM.
Old Jun 3, 2008, 09:46 PM
Evolved Member

I have heard many bad things about the HKS 272's. I would go with the BC 272's. I have a buddy who has them on the stock turbo and loves them.
Old Jun 3, 2008, 10:09 PM
Evolving Member

importjake00, does he have stock valve springs? What is the idle like? How much boost is he running?
Old Jun 3, 2008, 10:27 PM
Evolving Member

FWIW I bought my Evo 8 with HKS 264i/272e cams. The idle was raised to like 900/1k and besides a beefy man-idle, the only issue is that when you rev hard (like in a parking lot) and then hit the brakes (for a speed bump) the car wants to die sometimes because of the vacuum pressure. But serious, it sounds badass and idle is 100% pure man, not lumpy. Stock springs, etc.

I've got a 3" downpipe and cat-back and overall it sounds wicked. I'm planning on a re-tune within a day or two just to be safe. Boost is hitting around 22PSI or so at least.
Old Jun 4, 2008, 07:56 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the input maximZ. Yeah, I also was wondering about braking issues. I know it is a big problem on some oversized, cammed-up v8s, but didn't figure it would be too much of an issue with smaller size cams in our cars. How does the low end and top end feel with that cam combo man?
Old Jun 4, 2008, 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by importjake00
I have heard many bad things about the HKS 272's. I would go with the BC 272's. I have a buddy who has them on the stock turbo and loves them.
I have never heard one bad thing about hks 272's. Could you explain yourself? I have been using hks 272's on the stock turbo for the last 3 years and I gained ~30hp from them.
Old Jun 4, 2008, 10:13 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lexat20
I have never heard one bad thing about hks 272's. Could you explain yourself? I have been using hks 272's on the stock turbo for the last 3 years and I gained ~30hp from them.

Was that with stock valve springs too? And was that tuned or untuned, & with or without adj. cam gears?

Quick Reply: Cam Question?