Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

PPI vs Buschur manifold porting

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2008, 05:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had PPI do the porting and coating on my intake and exhaust and the overall gain in performance everywhere is more than worth the price by far! I had the exhaust manifold done with the Swain and it will become a bit "tan" in color after some time..but the heat reduction is still way better than an uncoated piece. Pete
Old Jun 7, 2008, 04:47 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
How does the cost of the porting compare between the two? The coating benefits are probably neglible, except for cosmetics. Buschur charged me $50 to port my manifold and $50 to port my turbine housing.
Old Jun 7, 2008, 04:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
How does the cost of the porting compare between the two? The coating benefits are probably neglible, except for cosmetics. Buschur charged me $50 to port my manifold and $50 to port my turbine housing.
That's great pricing but I don't think that is the price anymore lol. He just said on the page before it's $195 for the manifold alone.
Old Jun 7, 2008, 05:01 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by SRT-TO-EVO
That's great pricing but I don't think that is the price anymore lol. He just said on the page before it's $195 for the manifold alone.
I think that includes coating.
Old Jun 7, 2008, 05:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
I think that includes coating.
That would explain it. $100 for both is a HELL of a deal and if I were the OP I'd jump on that.
Old Jun 7, 2008, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

I went with PPI for the IM and TB, great service.
Old Jun 8, 2008, 09:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
We charge $95 for porting of the manifold or turbine housing.
Old Jun 8, 2008, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
We charge $95 for porting of the manifold or turbine housing.
I have a BR ported/coated exhaust mani and hotside sitting in my garage for the last 6 months. The work is top notch. Was waiting on my CBRD turbo to finish up to install them.
Old Jun 8, 2008, 09:37 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Buschur racing, none other for me. If buschur had not done the tests showing real whp gains from doing these, would they be such a popular mod?

I've had my buschur ported mani for a year now (and 20k miles), and it looks as good as the day I put it on. Port the turbine housing and put on a coated SS o2 housing while you're at it, and you are in for some good power gains!
Old Jun 8, 2008, 02:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
is porting size only to match gasket hole size?
this general engine bay area suffers rusting from the rain
getting through the bonnet vent, is the external coating corrosion
resistant?
what bolts can i use for manifold to head that won't rust?

Last edited by leecavturbo; Jun 8, 2008 at 02:29 PM.
Old Jun 8, 2008, 03:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by scheides
Buschur racing, none other for me. If buschur had not done the tests showing real whp gains from doing these, would they be such a popular mod?

I've had my buschur ported mani for a year now (and 20k miles), and it looks as good as the day I put it on. Port the turbine housing and put on a coated SS o2 housing while you're at it, and you are in for some good power gains!
Just because buschur said to do it doesn't mean it would never have been done. He didn't invent porting. This thread has gotten way bigger than it should. Any company that ports is going to produce the same amount of gains. No secrets involved in porting a manifold. Somebody might take the extra time to make it look nice but at the end of the day they do the same thing.
Old Jun 8, 2008, 06:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
revmoto, I don't agree with your post. I haven't seen anyone else take the time to do any porting, flowing and dyno testing of the parts except for us. Now there are companies who offer ported intake and exhaust components and 65 mm throttle bodies and actually have used OUR test results for examples to sell THEIR products. I also do not agree that a port job is a port job, that is actually a pretty rediculous statement. I've seen some screwed up porting.

There was a time not long ago everyone thought they needed headers and they were huge sellers, that is not the case anymore.
Old Jun 8, 2008, 07:45 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Sorry Rev, but I'm with DB on this one. If someone besides buschur would do a port job, and do back-to-back testing showing the gains with their port job, AND then guarantee that you'll get the same port job on 100 other manifolds (to yield similar results), then I would consider recommending them. Until then, I see people gasket matching their manifiolds (no no!) and others quoting buschur's numbers for their product.

Shake your head and accuse me of being being a fanboy if you want, but wtf, read the facts.
Old Jun 8, 2008, 10:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
revmoto, I don't agree with your post. I haven't seen anyone else take the time to do any porting, flowing and dyno testing of the parts except for us. Now there are companies who offer ported intake and exhaust components and 65 mm throttle bodies and actually have used OUR test results for examples to sell THEIR products. I also do not agree that a port job is a port job, that is actually a pretty rediculous statement. I've seen some screwed up porting.

There was a time not long ago everyone thought they needed headers and they were huge sellers, that is not the case anymore.
I agree no other company has done testing. I have done logs of my manifolds but as you stated in many threads logs are worthless to your mustang dyno. I also agree that no other company has tested it. Me saying that all ports are the same go to companies like PPI, Milspec and yourself. Nothing you guys can do to a manifold that will make anymore power. I have done the same thing. I am not talking about somebody hacking up a manifold in there garage. Nothing more you can do than port match and smooth out the runners and then gasket match the turbo to manifold side. You also did not come up with porting. Do not take credit for it. I have talked to a bunch of guys that are not on this site, mainly older guys, who have done this.
Old Jun 8, 2008, 10:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by scheides
Sorry Rev, but I'm with DB on this one. If someone besides buschur would do a port job, and do back-to-back testing showing the gains with their port job, AND then guarantee that you'll get the same port job on 100 other manifolds (to yield similar results), then I would consider recommending them. Until then, I see people gasket matching their manifiolds (no no!) and others quoting buschur's numbers for their product.

Shake your head and accuse me of being being a fanboy if you want, but wtf, read the facts.
Just because you didn't find porting easy doesn't mean everyone has that problem. I know for a fact I can make a manifold look the same 100 times in a row. Also gasket matching is not a no no. Please only post that **** if you have tested it. I have. I have done both gasket matching and port matching. I did not see a power increase. On paper it is not the right way to do it. As I stated in many other threads about manifold porting, for a DIY person who enjoys working on their own car and wants to gasket match they will see gains. That is if they are not a complete failure. It is more cost effective since you use your own gasket. For a shop, or anyone wanting it perfect, you're gonna need a flange that is going to run you at least $50.

Quick Reply: PPI vs Buschur manifold porting