Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

PPI vs Buschur manifold porting

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2008, 08:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Well obviously I didn't "invent" porting. Was I the first to do this type of port work on 4g63 parts, I'd put money on it I was. I'd say around 1991 is when we started offering ported manifolds, 02 housings and turbine housings. It continued over instantly to the EVO when we got ours in March 2003. That isn't even the point. A lot of you guys seem to twist things around here. I didn't say I invented it. All I said was we did the dyno testing, we've had the parts bolted to heads on the flow bench and we provided results to the public.

I am also not accusing PPI of anything, when I made my reply yesterday I didn't notice this was a specific PPI VS Buschur thread, I was making a blank statement that other people offer the service, port the parts incorrectly and have used our dyno numbers for reference in selling their parts.

Obviously with carbide cutting tools costing over $50 each, die grinders being $300 each, the guy I pay to port them making close to $50,000 a year working for me, I am not making much at $95 each. We get the manifolds in here, we clean and glass bead every manifold, the port it, then stone grind finish it, clean it again and then ship it back to the customer. If it gets coated we pay to ship a box of 10 of them to the coater, then pay to get them shipped back here. The profit margin on this is probably $0 if I sat down and figured out the time put into doing them.

Argueing about it is dropping my profit further

Just noticed something else. I am going to back up the fact that gasket matching the manifold to the factory exhaust manifold gasket it is a huge NO NO.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by davidbuschur
Well obviously I didn't "invent" porting. Was I the first to do this type of port work on 4g63 parts, I'd put money on it I was. I'd say around 1991 is when we started offering ported manifolds, 02 housings and turbine housings. It continued over instantly to the EVO when we got ours in March 2003. That isn't even the point. A lot of you guys seem to twist things around here. I didn't say I invented it. All I said was we did the dyno testing, we've had the parts bolted to heads on the flow bench and we provided results to the public.

I am also not accusing PPI of anything, when I made my reply yesterday I didn't notice this was a specific PPI VS Buschur thread, I was making a blank statement that other people offer the service, port the parts incorrectly and have used our dyno numbers for reference in selling their parts.

Obviously with carbide cutting tools costing over $50 each, die grinders being $300 each, the guy I pay to port them making close to $50,000 a year working for me, I am not making much at $95 each. We get the manifolds in here, we clean and glass bead every manifold, the port it, then stone grind finish it, clean it again and then ship it back to the customer. If it gets coated we pay to ship a box of 10 of them to the coater, then pay to get them shipped back here. The profit margin on this is probably $0 if I sat down and figured out the time put into doing them.

Argueing about it is dropping my profit further

Just noticed something else. I am going to back up the fact that gasket matching the manifold to the factory exhaust manifold gasket it is a huge NO NO.
Where is your data on that huge NO NO. Will make more power than stock any test you make. Also what other companies do bad port work? I have seen every companies ported manifold. All were the same quality. The sky is not the limit with a mod like this so if the manifold is done correctly that is all you can do.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 12:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heres what I dont understand. Why do people like revmoto and the other nobodies out there try to argue with someone like David Buschur?

Who are you? What experience or knowledge do you think you have over DB?

Just shut the F**K up!!
Old Jun 9, 2008, 12:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by LoKiEvo
Heres what I dont understand. Why do people like revmoto and the other nobodies out there try to argue with someone like David Buschur?

Who are you? What experience or knowledge do you think you have over DB?

Just shut the F**K up!!
Wow newb enjoy your ban. Maybe you need to spend a little more time on the forums before you start talking ****.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

i don't understand where in gods name db sounded like he invented porting!? I guess that I am just a stupid person for not reading between the lines. I heavily disagree that if YOU were to port a manifold and then have a db ported manifold that they would net you the same results. Maybe they would, maybe you are that good, which more power to you. But to say that every person who can port a manifold is going to do the same job, that is a rediculous statement. That is saying that everyone can build a 2.3 liter stroker motor the same.... Parts are parts right?
Old Jun 9, 2008, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 2003lancerevo8
i don't understand where in gods name db sounded like he invented porting!? I guess that I am just a stupid person for not reading between the lines. I heavily disagree that if YOU were to port a manifold and then have a db ported manifold that they would net you the same results. Maybe they would, maybe you are that good, which more power to you. But to say that every person who can port a manifold is going to do the same job, that is a rediculous statement. That is saying that everyone can build a 2.3 liter stroker motor the same.... Parts are parts right?
You obviously can't read. I said that every company can pull off the same port job. The companies I speak of are Milspec, PPI and Buschur. I myself do porting but since I am not a vendor I can't advertise. Porting is not difficult. Some people struggle with it but practice makes perfect.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 01:03 PM
Former Sponsor

Rev, I saw the manifold you ported... you better keep your day job.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 01:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Indy Evo
Rev, I saw the manifold you ported... you better keep your day job.
That was my older one that I gasket matched and posted pics before polishing. I have tried every bit and new techniques on top of porting probably 50 more of them. I have done enough of them and perfected it to talk ****. Keep them coming though. That is cute how you came on to get Davids back though.

Last edited by RevMoto; Jun 9, 2008 at 01:10 PM.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 01:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
I have nothing else to add. I made my points and our performance history will surely back up my points.

I also don't spout off about how good our port work is and then list that I run a Borla Manifold in my signature. That alone is contradicting.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
I have nothing else to add. I made my points and our performance history will surely back up my points.

I also don't spout off about how good our port work is and then list that I run a Borla Manifold in my signature. That alone is contradicting.
How do I contradict myself? I would be if I said a ported stocker makes the best performance but not run it. The Borla outperformed YOUR manifold which I sold after replacing it.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 01:19 PM
Former Sponsor

Rev, I held back as long as I could, but your nothing but a keyboad warrior...a 22 year old know it all. I have lost all respect for you with your trash talking. 50 + manifolds and your an expert? you have to be kidding. You have not earned the respect of anyone on here with your constant bashing. David can take care of himself he needs no ones help to back him up. Keep being a hater it's what your good at ... another legend in his own mind.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 01:24 PM
Former Sponsor

Have a nice day.

Last edited by Indy Evo; Jun 9, 2008 at 01:28 PM.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 01:30 PM
Evolved Member

Rev, I held back as long as I could, but your nothing but a keyboad warrior...a 22 year old know it all. I have lost all respect for you with your trash talking. 50 + manifolds and your an expert? you have to be kidding. You have not earned the respect of anyone on here with your constant bashing. David can take care of himself he needs no ones help to back him up. Keep being a hater it's what your good at ... another legend in his own mind.
AHAHAHAHA porting is not a hard task. I can clearly say I have perfected it, tested it and can make it look the same time in and time out. I am not on here to earn respect nor do I care what you think. I am tired of the same questions coming up about identical products. Again another thread blown out of proportion by defendants who need to step back and read twice. This thread is almost as worthless as a LICP comparison thread. All companies make the same product. I stick by my statement that a manifold port is simple and should not be debated. Choosing one is only a preference of company.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 01:33 PM
Evolved Member

Indy for a smart guy you are an idiot. Where did I talk trash? I clearly said that PPI, Milspec and Buschur will supply the same quality port work. I have seen and installed every product basically. You have not. You have seen one product and are very close with David. Hopefully Aby or PPI can jump in an add something.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 01:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by RevMoto
AHAHAHAHA porting is not a hard task. I can clearly say I have perfected it, tested it and can make it look the same time in and time out. I am not on here to earn respect nor do I care what you think. I am tired of the same questions coming up about identical products. Again another thread blown out of proportion by defendants who need to step back and read twice. This thread is almost as worthless as a LICP comparison thread. All companies make the same product. I stick by my statement that a manifold port is simple and should not be debated. Choosing one is only a preference of company.
i dont want to get involved here BUT every company does make LICP. BUT there not all the same or perform the same. ok im leaving now

Quick Reply: PPI vs Buschur manifold porting