Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

PPI vs Buschur manifold porting

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2008, 06:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Porting is like sculpting, and sculpting is an art.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 06:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by warp9
Porting is like sculpting, and sculpting is an art.
+1! not so easy
but with a little practice bet i'll be damn good!
Old Jun 9, 2008, 07:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by wingless
How come gasket matching the exhaust manifold is bad?

Anyone?
Old Jun 9, 2008, 08:28 PM
Evolved Member

This post still didn't help me. I'm ready to get my manifold ported...who wants to do it right for me?
Old Jun 9, 2008, 10:07 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
SPANKED, send it to buschur, that's my opinion, as I've stated several times. wingless, the theory is that you hit an uneven edge when you open up the runner too much, causing turbulance.
Old Jun 10, 2008, 12:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by scheides
SPANKED, send it to buschur, that's my opinion, as I've stated several times. wingless, the theory is that you hit an uneven edge when you open up the runner too much, causing turbulance.
I would rather bounce off a wall on an angle then smack right into it. That is just me. Have you ever seen a comparison?
Old Jun 10, 2008, 01:30 AM
Evolving Member

I'm either going to buy a full race and get BR to port the intake manifold or just get the exhaust and intake manifold ported at BR.

i was also thinking about installing a temperature reducing intake manifold gaskets to. are these any good or a waste of money;

http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/a...3-p-29706.html
Old Jun 10, 2008, 02:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts
I'm running a PPI extreme internal/external ported and Swaintech coated manifold. Noticed an immediate difference in power and also noticed that the new 2-3 counts of knock that appeared after installing some new parts disappeared.

I'm hitting full boost at 3400rpms and the car is pulling like a ****ing freight train.

OP, you can't go wrong with either Buschur's or PPI's manifolds.
Old Jun 10, 2008, 02:29 AM
Evolving Member

Good to here it as i want a full race or equivalent but im slightly worried about the loudness of noise associated with the equal length mani's and also the reliability compared with Stock cast mani and also the costs. For instants if by porting the intake and exhaust mani gets close to full race then i'd rather keep the std look and reliability.
Old Jun 10, 2008, 06:10 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bboypuertoroc
I'm running a PPI extreme internal/external ported and Swaintech coated manifold. Noticed an immediate difference in power and also noticed that the new 2-3 counts of knock that appeared after installing some new parts disappeared.

I'm hitting full boost at 3400rpms and the car is pulling like a ****ing freight train.

OP, you can't go wrong with either Buschur's or PPI's manifolds.
Thanks for the info. I'm still debating if I want to go with Buschur or PPI, do you have any issues with the swaintech coating? Because it sure does look purty.
Old Jun 10, 2008, 07:02 AM
Evolved Member

This thread blows for a couple reasons, First the title. Every a$$hole on evom knows what happens with "X vendor's part vs. Y vendors part" threads.....This thread was doomed from the start.

Second the BR zealots come out of the woodwork. I apreciate the content BR adds to this site and I understand why one would support thier local shop, but if someone wants to learn something, a hundred posts about blind faith in parts with no technical understanding of how or why they work is tiresome to read.

All I want to know now is why gasket matching the exhaust manifold is a bad idea.

Last edited by wingless; Jun 10, 2008 at 07:12 AM.
Old Jun 10, 2008, 07:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by scheides

Yeah thanks, I understand the theory. Gasket matching would for the sole purpose of removing any uneven edge or transition between the head gasket and mani. I assume there is more to it than that and as I gasket matched my head and mani thinking it was a good thing, I would like to know what BR and Indy know that I don't.

Last edited by wingless; Jun 10, 2008 at 07:15 AM.
Old Jun 10, 2008, 09:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
I'd like to answer but I am afraid it may encourage more of the "zealots" (whatever the hell that is) may chime in or I may even turn into one myself.

If you gasket matched your own stuff you could care less what I do, obviously you are a DIY'er and there is nothing wrong with that. Enjoy what you've done and chill.
Old Jun 10, 2008, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
I'd like to answer but I am afraid it may encourage more of the "zealots" (whatever the hell that is) may chime in or I may even turn into one myself.

If you gasket matched your own stuff you could care less what I do, obviously you are a DIY'er and there is nothing wrong with that. Enjoy what you've done and chill.

It's not that I don't care Dave... On the contrary I have learned a great deal from your posts and threads over the years. It was simply an honest question. I guess I don't have any of your parts, so it's fair enough if you don't want to share.
Old Jun 10, 2008, 11:10 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by RevMoto
I would rather bounce off a wall on an angle then smack right into it. That is just me. Have you ever seen a comparison?
You are dragging this thread further and further off topic with every flaming post you make!

If the mani runner is port matched, there is no wall, just a smooth transition!

This thread sucks. OP, draw your own conclusions, do some extra searching, you'll find what you want.

Quick Reply: PPI vs Buschur manifold porting