Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

PPI vs Buschur manifold porting

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2008, 11:16 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by wingless
This thread blows for a couple reasons, First the title. Every a$$hole on evom knows what happens with "X vendor's part vs. Y vendors part" threads.....This thread was doomed from the start.

Second the BR zealots come out of the woodwork. I apreciate the content BR adds to this site and I understand why one would support thier local shop, but if someone wants to learn something, a hundred posts about blind faith in parts with no technical understanding of how or why they work is tiresome to read.

All I want to know now is why gasket matching the exhaust manifold is a bad idea.
You need to study fluid dynamics of the situation to see why. Port matching offers a smooth, even runner for the exhaust gas to flow down. Gasket matching makes a sort of 'bubble' area when the gas leaves the head and enters the exhaust manifold, causing turbulence. If the turbulence is great enough around the edge, it could effectively reduce or negate the port work done later down the runner towards the turbo.

Look at water running from a faucet into a sink. If there were a smooth pipe inbetween the two, water would, of course, rush down through it. Instead, it piles up around the drain until it finds its way down, thus reducing the velocity of the fluid. Velocity = power, so more velocity = more power, plain and simple.

Again OP, don't be scared away by the drama, do this mod, it is worth it.
Old Jun 10, 2008, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bboypuertoroc
I'm running a PPI extreme internal/external ported and Swaintech coated manifold. Noticed an immediate difference in power and also noticed that the new 2-3 counts of knock that appeared after installing some new parts disappeared.

I'm hitting full boost at 3400rpms and the car is pulling like a ****ing freight train.

OP, you can't go wrong with either Buschur's or PPI's manifolds.

Glad you like it
Old Jun 10, 2008, 11:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scheides
You need to study fluid dynamics of the situation to see why. Port matching offers a smooth, even runner for the exhaust gas to flow down. Gasket matching makes a sort of 'bubble' area when the gas leaves the head and enters the exhaust manifold, causing turbulence. If the turbulence is great enough around the edge, it could effectively reduce or negate the port work done later down the runner towards the turbo.

Look at water running from a faucet into a sink. If there were a smooth pipe inbetween the two, water would, of course, rush down through it. Instead, it piles up around the drain until it finds its way down, thus reducing the velocity of the fluid. Velocity = power, so more velocity = more power, plain and simple.

Again OP, don't be scared away by the drama, do this mod, it is worth it.
My original question wasn't about who does a better porting job or the benefit of a ported manifold. I was wondering if the of porting the entire runner offered by PPI justified the cost.
Old Jun 10, 2008, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by scheides
You are dragging this thread further and further off topic with every flaming post you make!

If the mani runner is port matched, there is no wall, just a smooth transition!

This thread sucks. OP, draw your own conclusions, do some extra searching, you'll find what you want.
Again I don't see where I am a flamer but good job on trying to insult me. As stated before on paper gasket matching is a bad idea. I have logged a before and after plenty of times myself. Instead of being a keyboard warrior you should try doing something yourself before you are so quick to jump on this site and judge people. Until you contribute something around here don't talk ****.

Last edited by RevMoto; Jun 10, 2008 at 12:26 PM.
Old Jun 10, 2008, 12:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Skim003
My original question wasn't about who does a better porting job or the benefit of a ported manifold. I was wondering if the of porting the entire runner offered by PPI justified the cost.
To answer your question I would have to say no. Not that much material is removed from the runners. It is a better idea to smooth them out so you don't have crater which will cause carbon deposit build up.
Old Jun 10, 2008, 01:37 PM
Evolved Member

Both PPI and Buschur do excellent porting, cant go wrong with either one. PPI did my manifold and Buschur did my turbine housing. Just choose which was one is easier for you to get done.
Old Jun 12, 2008, 09:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by RevMoto
I am a flamer.

edit FTW!

Last edited by wingless; Jun 12, 2008 at 09:42 AM.
Old Jun 12, 2008, 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

Is porting the 10.5 hotside worth it?
Old Jun 18, 2008, 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

porting down runners all the way vs. just one inch down the runners...please tell me if there are gains to be had porting the runners.....
Old Jun 18, 2008, 10:44 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by RevMoto
Again I don't see where I am a flamer but good job on trying to insult me. As stated before on paper gasket matching is a bad idea. I have logged a before and after plenty of times myself. Instead of being a keyboard warrior you should try doing something yourself before you are so quick to jump on this site and judge people. Until you contribute something around here don't talk ****.
Sorry man, but I think I contribute plenty, see my above post about why I think port matching is important compared to gasket matching, or my threads posting pics of my port work on my turbine housing, or perhaps anything I've done in the alky or ecuflash forums.

This is a hobby man, calm down.
Old Jun 18, 2008, 11:15 AM
Evolving Member

The only reason I'm not going the buschur route on this part is just because of the fact that I'm in california. Aby @ milspec has a similar racing background to indy's (albeit not as long) but I trust that he will do a good job porting my manifold. Really at the end of the day just take your manifold to who you trust knows what they are doing and where ever the easiest way for you to do this is located... (nearer is better clearly)
Old Jun 18, 2008, 01:48 PM
Evolved Member

Just got one done from Aby, and I have no doubt it will be great. Its in the mail as we speak.
Old Jun 18, 2008, 01:52 PM
Former Sponsor

20psiMR good choice going with Aby