Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

9sec9 and OKIX's new Sponsor

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2008, 06:40 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My word, I guess good things DO happen to good people.

Congrats to you both.

Keep it up.
Old Jun 7, 2008, 06:56 AM
Evolved Member

Congrats Tom and Tony. I am one of those douche bags that have been following you since the beginning. These guys are great. Tom and Tony even answered my PMs way back on OKSC when they where just running 11s. Always helpful never cocky. They deserve it and they will represent those companies well.
Old Jun 7, 2008, 07:02 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Congrats guys! Well done!
Old Jun 7, 2008, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

congrats.. its always nice to see guys get manufacturer support....

does swift make drag racing springs that you guys are going to campaign? that is what you guys do right?

why is this thread in engine & power section ? odd...
Old Jun 7, 2008, 09:55 AM
Account Disabled

congrats...

So this is father and son right??
Old Jun 7, 2008, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yes, OKIX is my son. My brothers and I used to race together nearly 40 years ago, so Tony and I are just continuing the fun.
Old Jun 7, 2008, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

Congrats Tom. Good to see!
Old Jun 7, 2008, 08:41 PM
Account Disabled

Great job !!! Keep up all the great work and reviews ..
Old Jun 7, 2008, 11:40 PM
Evolved Member

Congrats Tom, good to see good things happening to great people!!!
Old Jun 8, 2008, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nils

does swift make drag racing springs that you guys are going to campaign? that is what you guys do right?

Thanks nils. Yes, we'll be using the Swift Springs when we get back out with the new build. I've ALWAYS been concerned with the effects of shocking the drivetrain with too much clutch, or not enough tire spin, or the coilovers not being linear enough to transfer the weight in a predictable manner. I love the weight and adjustability of the Apex N1's. They're light weight, adjustable and reasonably inexpensive. As with all products, they wear out or can be improved. I'm also very well aware of weight reduction benefits. I spoke at length with Indy about the way our car launches vs others. We both reviewed the tapes and various things I liked and didn't. One of the common discussions was that of 'porposing'. I'm sure you've seen how many cars launch, the front lifts, the rear squats (and sometimes doesn't), then the rear 'unloads' then reloads, then unloads again. While all of that is going on, the front end is also moving up and down. Couple that with trying to control a launch rpm on an inconsistent track and all of a sudden there's too many variables for a driver to deal with in a few short seconds. With the loading and unloading comes broken parts.

At this point, we've been careful to spin the tires more than most, which has helped the loading and unloading. Those who have seen me at the track will also attest to the fact that I'm checking the tire pressure just prior to going into the water box. Consistency is the name of the game. I wanted springs that allow us to stay consistent with our launches. To this date, the stock springs have worked well. On the past few outings, however, we've noticed a little more of the early stages of unloading. The time had come to do something about it BEFORE it became a problem. Through the discussions with Indy, he explained to me the difference in linear vs progressive springs and the effects. I was looking for an 'adjustment' that would allow me to squat in the rear as much as possible for optimum weight transfer, but was predictable when adjusted. Imagine front springs that change spring rates as they lift, and a rear end that is doing the same thing. It's no wonder porposing is common.

In a nutshell, I wanted lighter weight, better control of squat and lift while at the same time something that would stay consistent (not sag over time). Indy had tested my current springs so we had a known value. He had previously used Swift Springs on a very high level suggested that we look at them to meet our goals. The Swift Springs design and material were exactly what we were looking for. It was only AFTER the product choice was made that we acquired the sponsorship. We absolutely didn't just get a sponsor, then decide to run their springs. The useable travel of using less coils should allow the car to squat as desired and do it in a predictable manner. I hope this doesn't come off as an advertisement, but it's difficult to not fully explain our reasons for going Swift. With cams, intakes etc, we use dynos. With products like this, it's easier to explain the effects I'm after. (Ok, ok, I know I'm long winded...)
Old Jun 8, 2008, 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nils

I would imagine this thread is in here because this section gets the most views
Old Jun 8, 2008, 06:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Congrats guys, you do deserve the sponsorship for sure.

I'd like to address the sponsorship thing actually since I am personally approached about it multiple times per week.

Sponsors aren't looking for someone who specifically race or show. They are looking for someone who will represent them in a professional manner and promote them. They are of course looking for "coverage". Does this mean racing in front of a crowd? No, not really. It means getting their name out there and promoting them. 9sec9 is on EVOm daily where there are thousands of people reading his posts everyday. That is better coverage and promotion than you are going to get at some poor turn out of a NOPI or NHRA Import Drag race.

One of the reasons I have so much respect for Tom is he promotes people that he truly has no responsibility to promote, including myself. He has paid for every part he has ever gotten from us so he honestly "owes" me nothing. On the other hand I owe him a ton. Not only has he always paid for his parts he has continued to promote our shop and stand behind me. THAT is the type of person who deserves to be sponsored and who GETS sponsored.

There is a case going on on EVOm right now where someone "jumped shipped" because he couldn't suck any more free parts from someone who had helped him. He has no moved on to the next "great shop". That type of guy is the last one who should get help.

Again, very happy for you Tom and Tony, you guys deserve any help and sponsorship you get.
Old Jun 8, 2008, 07:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by davidbuschur

I'd like to address the sponsorship thing actually since I am personally approached about it multiple times per week.

Sponsors aren't looking for someone who specifically race or show. They are looking for someone who will represent them in a professional manner and promote them. They are of course looking for "coverage". Does this mean racing in front of a crowd? No, not really. It means getting their name out there and promoting them. 9sec9 is on EVOm daily where there are thousands of people reading his posts everyday. That is better coverage and promotion than you are going to get at some poor turn out of a NOPI or NHRA Import Drag race.

One of the reasons I have so much respect for Tom is he promotes people that he truly has no responsibility to promote, including myself. He has paid for every part he has ever gotten from us so he honestly "owes" me nothing. On the other hand I owe him a ton. Not only has he always paid for his parts he has continued to promote our shop and stand behind me. THAT is the type of person who deserves to be sponsored and who GETS sponsored.

There is a case going on on EVOm right now where someone "jumped shipped" because he couldn't suck any more free parts from someone who had helped him. He has no moved on to the next "great shop". That type of guy is the last one who should get help.

Again, very happy for you Tom and Tony, you guys deserve any help and sponsorship you get.

Chris
Old Jun 8, 2008, 07:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by davidbuschur

i think i know who your talking about in your last paragraph. i wish i could say the name but ill hold my self not to. i beleave he ''jumped ship'' on at least 3 companies seeing how there not in his sig anymore. sounds like the type of person who is like a leach.. suck what you can get and when you cant get no more move on to where you can suck more blood from. not the type of person i would ever deal with or respect for that matter.

congrats 9sec9 on your sponsorship. well deserved.
Old Jun 8, 2008, 07:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 9sec9
Thanks nils. Yes, we'll be using the Swift Springs when we get back out with the new build. I've ALWAYS been concerned with the effects of shocking the drivetrain with too much clutch, or not enough tire spin, or the coilovers not being linear enough to transfer the weight in a predictable manner. I love the weight and adjustability of the Apex N1's. They're light weight, adjustable and reasonably inexpensive. As with all products, they wear out or can be improved. I'm also very well aware of weight reduction benefits. I spoke at length with Indy about the way our car launches vs others. We both reviewed the tapes and various things I liked and didn't. One of the common discussions was that of 'porposing'. I'm sure you've seen how many cars launch, the front lifts, the rear squats (and sometimes doesn't), then the rear 'unloads' then reloads, then unloads again. While all of that is going on, the front end is also moving up and down. Couple that with trying to control a launch rpm on an inconsistent track and all of a sudden there's too many variables for a driver to deal with in a few short seconds. With the loading and unloading comes broken parts.

At this point, we've been careful to spin the tires more than most, which has helped the loading and unloading. Those who have seen me at the track will also attest to the fact that I'm checking the tire pressure just prior to going into the water box. Consistency is the name of the game. I wanted springs that allow us to stay consistent with our launches. To this date, the stock springs have worked well. On the past few outings, however, we've noticed a little more of the early stages of unloading. The time had come to do something about it BEFORE it became a problem. Through the discussions with Indy, he explained to me the difference in linear vs progressive springs and the effects. I was looking for an 'adjustment' that would allow me to squat in the rear as much as possible for optimum weight transfer, but was predictable when adjusted. Imagine front springs that change spring rates as they lift, and a rear end that is doing the same thing. It's no wonder porposing is common.

In a nutshell, I wanted lighter weight, better control of squat and lift while at the same time something that would stay consistent (not sag over time). Indy had tested my current springs so we had a known value. He had previously used Swift Springs on a very high level suggested that we look at them to meet our goals. The Swift Springs design and material were exactly what we were looking for. It was only AFTER the product choice was made that we acquired the sponsorship. We absolutely didn't just get a sponsor, then decide to run their springs. The useable travel of using less coils should allow the car to squat as desired and do it in a predictable manner. I hope this doesn't come off as an advertisement, but it's difficult to not fully explain our reasons for going Swift. With cams, intakes etc, we use dynos. With products like this, it's easier to explain the effects I'm after. (Ok, ok, I know I'm long winded...)
sounds awsome...

I know robi was always very found of the swift springs, they make great stuff.

n

Quick Reply: 9sec9 and OKIX's new Sponsor