Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

ETS Bits Get'n'r done!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2008, 09:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ETS Bits Get'n'r done!

I haven't had a whole lot to add to this section for a while, since I haven't changed the setup much after I got it to where I wanted it 2 years ago. I did show my gains when going from the VIII (05) to IX turbo (25whp), but I went for a year without even retuning it to see if there was more in it. Those results were just from slapping on the IX turbo at the same boost levels. I ran alky for over 2 years, and it served me well, but when E-85 began to show up en masse in Colorado, I decided it would serve me much better once I saw how well the Evos were responding to it.

So, I decided to move forward with the next big chunk of mods that most people already have on their stock turbo Evos but that I had never gotten around to doing. I had been wanting a Buschur Race FMIC and UICP/LICP/Mini-Battery for a while, but it never worked out. So, one day a local Evo owner/friend who has a big AMS GT35R setup with built motor asked me if I wanted his 3.5" ETS FMIC, since he no longer used it. I, of course, accepted it with glee, and decided that it made perfect sense to call up ETS to order their black UICP/LICP flanged for the stock-type BOV along with their mini-battery kit. I wanted to do that whole system at once and be sure it all worked together beautifully. Tom was very courteous and helpful on the phone, then before I knew it, I had all the parts I needed in just a few days. I had my local sponsor shop - Revolutions Performance - install all the ETS bits, remove the alky, install some FIC 850cc injectors, and tune that bastard on some E-85.

The initial results were ho-hum as my power was almost identical to before, but what had happened is that I was unable to run more than 22-23psi due to spark blowout. I then went through a few days of troubleshooting only to realize I needed to drop my already-tight gap to an even-lower .019 due to having no ignition amplifier of any sort. Once I did that, I could boost 23 with no issues in any gear and was able to crank it up a few rotations on the Forge UNOS without any sputtering. From there, I had my good buddy Tobz take over the E-85 tune as he has perfected it quite well on his own Evo. The results of his hard work are staggering to me, and I think they will be to you, too. My car was already pretty well setup - nothing special, but good parts. However, I was unprepared for the amazing transformation those ETS parts gave me in conjunction with the move to E-85...and all at altitude where the combination seems to have exploded with power.

Here are the parts from ETS first:

ETS FMIC in action

Compared to Stock

ETS UICP and Mini-Battery kit. You guys know I'm anti-bling, so the black was perfect for me. It is very subdued, but the parts were extremely nice. I wanted the short-route with the battery out of the way while being somewhat unnoticeable. These parts did the trick. The LICP is also awesome, but there's not much to show with it on the car. Pardon the dirty engine bay, but I just got done with 2 days of racing (time attack and drag), so it's a mess. We were running in rain and some mud yesterday, so the whole car is dirty.

Now to the results and some more pics. I dyno again tomorrow morning, so I'll be able to show the full difference from before the ETS stuff and after, but for now, I'll show actual real world race results/pics/vids.

Dyno comparison (before and after). Before, I had alky/91oct, ~26psi, GSC 272i/264e cams, IX turbo, and most of the regular stuff except no aftermarket IC parts. After, I removed the alky, and added all the parts listed earlier (FMIC/UICP/LICP/850s/E-85/reflash). The difference is staggering - look how much extra power there is all across the board. It went from 324whp/348wtq to 367whp/386wtq

(****sidenote: we take the calculated correction factor and cut it in half to estimate proper altitude correction for turbo'd cars, so this was with a 1.13 CF on the new one - old was at 1.14. Uncorrected numbers are 325whp/342wtq.****)

This week was the first annual Rocky Mountain Shootout that combined Time Attack, Drag, and Dyno into one event. You can do individual events for fun/trophies, but the bigger deal is to go for the overall championship that combines points from all 3. The first day started with a Time Attack at a local track where we had 40 degrees and rain to start the day but 75 degrees and bright sun later in the day...with another shower in the afternoon just to make it interesting. I'm waiting on more pics and vids to be loaded, but here is one for now:

There was a beginner, intermediate, and expert class. I thought I might fit in intermediate with my stock turbo and such, but they slapped me in expert due to my V710s, although I was running my RT-615s due to rain at first. Others in my class included a 700whp 2500lb Talon with Hoosiers, cage, and just about everything else you can think of. Also, a full-race Rally Impreza, but I shouldn't have been too worried, since it's completely setup for dirt courses, not tarmac. Then, there was a GT30 Forester that actually weighs the same as my Evo ( ), a GT35R Subi, and a new 08 WRX, but he didn't have a whole lot going on. The Intermediate class had a C6 Z06 and another 35r STi plus a crapload more Subies. Unfortunately, only 2 other Evos showed up, but they were both young guys with 0 experience, so I just helped them out and encouraged them just to learn to drive. They did a great job and learned a ton.

I ended up winning Expert and the overall event with a 5.3-second buffer over the next quickest car, which was the C6 Z06. The Talon never got a single full lap. I guess that's what happens with a car that strung out and running 45psi, b ut it was the best looking DSM I think I've ever seen.

Then, on to the drag portion today. We had a very good drag strip - Bandimere - here in Denver with only 50 cars or so, which mean run run run. I ended up with probably 30 runs, but unfortunately they only sprayed the track (VHT) in the morning, and with no real race cars to lay down rubber, we had an ice rink for a launch pad by noon. But, before that, I was able to bust out some amazing numbers considering my previous results and considering the 6000' of altitude along with a warm sunny day...

Best time at altitude on VIII turbo - 12.3 @ 109.5
Best time at altitude on IX turbo before today - 12.04 @ 116.2
Best time today and best time/trap ever anywhere - 11.84 @ 118.65 (wtf?????)

I was consistently trapping 118s even with hotlapping, and that would NEVER have happened on my stock IC bits. The ETS stuff was amazing for what became constant, successive runs. My trap got as high as 118.9 before it stopped climbing, and this is at 3300lbs w/driver. Not a boat, but not that light either. I verified my times and traps by comparing to my good buddy who has raced with me at 2 tracks on 3 separate occasions in the last month. He has a Green, hits 11.9s and traps 116-118. He hit his best ever of 11.93 today and was trapping high 116. He stayed the same, but I jumped up 2 mph. What did I change? Alignment! I switched from my fully-aggressive road race alignment late last night to a normal street alignment and gained 2+mph consistently. Amazing. More amazing was being in the daytime vs night time with an extra 20 degrees and hotlapping like crazy with no heatsoak or degradation in performance. That is a testament to my tuning, the ETS bits, and good ole E-85. Link to drag forum where I posted the slip (vid up later):

Drag Racing thread:
11.84 at 6000' on stock turbo

Drag Vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxsZZWya50A

Last edited by Warrtalon; Jun 7, 2008 at 11:48 PM.
Old Jun 6, 2008, 09:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anti-bling?! Look at that BOV and exhaust mani!!! Lol!

Looking good!
Old Jun 6, 2008, 09:33 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah, I know! I've been trying to swap someone for a black Forge RS for years, hah! I think I found one locally, so it may finally happen. If only I could find a black mani cover...
Old Jun 6, 2008, 09:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Yeah, I know! I've been trying to swap someone for a black Forge RS for years, hah! I think I found one locally, so it may finally happen. If only I could find a black mani cover...
Just have the manifold jet-hot coated black...

Here is a sample...

http://www.jet-hot.com/headercoatings.html
Old Jun 6, 2008, 09:38 PM
Evolved Member

I thought about it when coating mine, but the black is not as effective, although mine has mostly chipped off anyway now.
Old Jun 6, 2008, 10:49 PM
Evolved Member

NVM (re-read original post)
Old Jun 6, 2008, 11:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Time to clean that dirty *** air filter.
Old Jun 6, 2008, 11:53 PM
Evolved Member

The MAF just got de-gunked last week. The filter is next!
Old Jun 7, 2008, 12:24 AM
Evolved Member

Very nice write up! For you to do this kind of write up for ETS speaks allot
Old Jun 7, 2008, 12:32 AM
Evolved Member

I should not fail to mention that my Shep 5spd and Shep T-Case took the hard abuse of a full track day followed by ~30 drag passes the very next day, and there wasn't a hint of any issues or shifting degradation. Those paired with my Exedy Twin HD make for an Evo that I can beat the hell out of...
Old Jun 7, 2008, 12:53 AM
Evolved Member

Nicee, I love my ETS bits as well . I can't wait until E85 heads my way.
Old Jun 7, 2008, 01:20 AM
Evolved Member

ets ftw
Old Jun 7, 2008, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

Ets Ftw.
Old Jun 7, 2008, 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

Lookin good Warr.... nice to see you adding more mods to the car.
Old Jun 7, 2008, 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

Good job clay at the track. my car is goin in the shop why it was sputtering when I turned the meth on, then maybe I can get back up there

Quick Reply: ETS Bits Get'n'r done!