Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Help: My Engine shuts down

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2008, 08:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help: My Engine shuts down

Hi guys, Im having a problem with my evo 8. It just shuts down like a tripping electrical system. Sometimes when i open the aircon it shuts down. Sometimes I driving fast in 5th gear an it shuts down. Sometimes im just idling in traffic then it shuts down.

Whenever i try to restart, it doesnt want to restart. But if i turn off the ignition totally and wait for a few seconds, the car starts again.

I used to have a check engine light warning because i modified my exhaust last year. This week i changed my exhaust again and the check engine it doesnt appear anymore.

I already removed the connection of my sound system.

I checked my battery power, its at 14.

What do you think is wrong with it? How do i trace the problem? : (

Thanks guys. Hope you can help me with this.
Old Jun 7, 2008, 09:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Next time it happens pull a bit on the wire harness by the left foot kicker panel, just stick your hand in there, you can even do it while driving. It should fix it if you adjust it just right.
Or to do it proper, disconnect the harness and clean the rust off of it.

This was happening to me a couple days in a row, i'd be diving, it'd shut off, i'd adjust the harness, it start working.

GL
Old Jun 7, 2008, 11:59 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by southpaw
Hi guys, Im having a problem with my evo 8. It just shuts down like a tripping electrical system. Sometimes when i open the aircon it shuts down. Sometimes I driving fast in 5th gear an it shuts down. Sometimes im just idling in traffic then it shuts down.

Whenever i try to restart, it doesnt want to restart. But if i turn off the ignition totally and wait for a few seconds, the car starts again.

I used to have a check engine light warning because i modified my exhaust last year. This week i changed my exhaust again and the check engine it doesnt appear anymore.

Sounds like my last two E46 M3s. One was an SMG, the other was a 6spd. Either way, it was random when the engine would just shut down. My Evo 9 MR used to do it, but when i changed the battery because the first had a messed up cell, my EVO hasn't done it since. Thats been at least 10,000 miles ago.

When mine used to shutdown was when i would press the clutch pedal in, right before my turn in into any corner. It was weird becuase the car seemed to do it so smoothly. Every single time the engine in my EVO shut down for no reason, I couldn't tell the engine had quit, and only until I wanted to down shift - which means i blimp the throttle- I would have almost no clue the car was off. The only other sign that my engine quit was harder steering and braking.

The dealership never did find out why my car did this, and even more ironic is that I could never replicate the engine shutting off, on demand. So that made things even more difficult trying to get mitsubishi to try and do anything other than stand in front of my car, picking their noses.

Sometimes, it is required that you baby someone who is looking over, or maintaining you automobile. Otherwise, they simply try to limit that risks, which usually means cutting corners.
Old Jun 7, 2008, 03:26 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by southpaw

What are the modifications and specifics on your car ?
Old Jun 7, 2008, 06:59 PM

The mods on my car? I have a racing suction kit, tomei headers, fabricated down pipe, titanium exhaust.

For other accessories:
I have a complete set of defi gauges, pivot shift light.

Thats about it.

I just changed my batteries yesterday but it still shuts down. : (
Old Jun 7, 2008, 07:02 PM
Evolved Member

no lights on the dash?
Old Jun 7, 2008, 08:29 PM

There was one time when my signal lights stopped working. When i re started my engine, they started working again. There was also an instance when the lights my gauges stopped working. Again, when i restarted, they worked again?

Could it be alternator problem or fuel pump problem?

Also, I just remembered that i had my engine detailed a week before the problems started to occur. Of course when i asked the detailer, they said that they didnt wet any electrical parts.

If it were an electrical short circuiting, how do i trace that?

Thanks for all your help guys.
Old Jun 8, 2008, 02:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you check the harnesses or you're ignoring me?
Old Jun 10, 2008, 01:01 AM

Sorry. Wasnt ignoring you. I had the harness checked and cleaned. My check engine sign went on again. Yesterday the car didnt shut off but this morning it died again. I brought my car to another shop. I hope they'll be able to fix it. Ill let you know what their findings are as soon as I get feedback.