Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Finally, an Offical Evolution 02 DUMP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2008, 09:34 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The power increase does come from divorcing the wastegate, however after our first 2 prototypes, we were disapointed with the small increases in HP that we were getting. We kept the wastgate tube at 2inches but we increased the turbine /exhaust tube to a full 3 inch. This is where we saw the big power increase. Not only is the tube bigger but it take a very sharp radious bend, and the angle that we desgined into our O2 Dump is where the big power and increased spool-up comes from. I think there is a misconception about just the wastegate being seperated is what is making power. Well NO...the huge turbine tube is what is making the big power.

Also I am getting flooded with people thinking our O2 Dump is loud all the time because of some of the videos that are being shown. Only when the wastegate opens will there be loudness. In everyday driving around town you will never see the wastegate open and the loud sound that comes from the open dump. Now if you go Wide Open Throttle all the time then yes you will have lots of loudness, but hardly anyone drives like that.

So just keep in-mind that yes the wastgate being divorced helps but our big turbine tube is where the power comes from. It is not just the size of the tube but it is the sharp radious and angled cut too. And also our O2 Dump is Not loud all the time...

Any questions or concerns just let me know, I'll be more than happy to answer any and all questions you want to throw my way..
Old Jun 26, 2008, 09:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks for the explanation! I like the piece and will definitely consider it now that you've helped me to understand. Thanks guys!
Old Jun 26, 2008, 09:44 PM
Evolved Member

I'll be picking one of these up for sure shortly! When pushing the limits of stock and stock-type turbos, every little bit counts!
Old Jun 26, 2008, 10:21 PM
Former Sponsor

I have done MY..... scientific test .... which I measured the volume of the tubes.

I compared the Megan O2 Housing - Turbine side/ tube against our O2 Dump Housing - Turbine side/ Tube.

The difference is huge.

I poured water into the tubes and measured how much went into each tube, ours was at least ~25-30% larger(if not more) and held that much more water than the Megan O2 Housing. I'll take pictures tomorrow and show just how more volume the EvoPowerMods O2 Dump tube has compared to the Megan Racing O2 Housing Tube....fairly scientific...lol....\

We are planning a much more detailed graphical presentation to show just how much flow, spoolup, boost potential, etc....stay tuned...

Until tomorrow, but take a look at these 2 comparison photos of our O2 Dump against the Megan O2 Housing.

I would say that is rather big difference in volume. Take a look at the tube, it is larger, and then look at the angle, our tube takes a sharp radious which adds volume. Let me know what you think...?....
Old Jun 27, 2008, 12:56 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sparky
Thanks for the explanation! I like the piece and will definitely consider it now that you've helped me to understand. Thanks guys!
I told u so, I mean, ur welcome.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 01:34 AM
Evolving Member

O2 Dump

G'day Q,

Thanks for getting in touch mate , I'm enjoying watching how this is unfolding.

The recordings certainly sound quite livable for general driving. Do you guy's get much grief for external waste gates/divorced dumps from a legal perspective? Some have used screamer pipes down here in Oz but there's not much imfo to read about.

The explanation you gave above also threw some more light on it for me ref the design changes (we increased the turbine /exhaust tube to a full 3 inch ) after the first couple of prototypes. I understand why you chose to neck the exhaust side back to 2.5inch's at the flange; however, with a lot of owners using/choosing a 3in down pipe, does this 3in-2.5in-3in incur many if any negative performance parameters?

The photo's that have been shared by happy customers shows some very nice attention to detail, well done.

I look forward to some more test results by EPM's & of course owner's impressions & data.

Thanks for your time Q

Cheers Steve
Old Jun 27, 2008, 06:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Street Tuners
The power increase does come from divorcing the wastegate, however after our first 2 prototypes, we were disapointed with the small increases in HP that we were getting. We kept the wastgate tube at 2inches but we increased the turbine /exhaust tube to a full 3 inch. This is where we saw the big power increase. Not only is the tube bigger but it take a very sharp radious bend, and the angle that we desgined into our O2 Dump is where the big power and increased spool-up comes from. I think there is a misconception about just the wastegate being seperated is what is making power. Well NO...the huge turbine tube is what is making the big power.

Also I am getting flooded with people thinking our O2 Dump is loud all the time because of some of the videos that are being shown. Only when the wastegate opens will there be loudness. In everyday driving around town you will never see the wastegate open and the loud sound that comes from the open dump. Now if you go Wide Open Throttle all the time then yes you will have lots of loudness, but hardly anyone drives like that.

So just keep in-mind that yes the wastgate being divorced helps but our big turbine tube is where the power comes from. It is not just the size of the tube but it is the sharp radious and angled cut too. And also our O2 Dump is Not loud all the time...

Any questions or concerns just let me know, I'll be more than happy to answer any and all questions you want to throw my way..
Exactly. I guess referring it as an O2 dump may have clouded other parts of the product that are very important.

The EPM O2 housing helps in these ways:
1) Divorced WG flow - reduced backpressure (mainly in midrange RPM) - Increased efficiency
2) Larger diameter turbine outlet - Reduced back pressure - Increased efficiency
3) Custom radius turbine outlet - Reduced back pressure - Increased efficiency

It all comes down to increasing efficiency. Less back pressure means faster spool, lower temps, a denser intake charge and more power.

I'd guess that maybe 70% of the power gained from this part if from the turbine outlet changes and not the WG dump. However, with a larger turbo, te WG would have to flow more to regulate boost and gains from the WG dump will be more notable.

About the neck down to 2.5" ... that was decided upon for a few reasons. First off, most aftermarket downpipes are built to mount to the stock O2 housing and use the factory donut gasket. the EPM part retains this fitment. Also, any stock or stock replacement turbo will not be able to technically "outflow" a 2.5" pipe.

EPM used a 3" pipe mainly for smoothing the flow from the turbine. The bend used for the turbine outlet is a very tight radius, allowing the 3" pipe to fit in the allotted space while also giving the exhaust gases a smooth, consistent path to flow out of the housing. The gases weren't "out flowing" a 2.5" housing, or even the stock housing ... they just don't flow as easily through them.

So, no, using a full 3" housing should not show any more gains on a stock or stock replacement turbo.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 06:53 AM
Former Sponsor

so i guess this part on the fp green turbo would be great ???
Old Jun 27, 2008, 07:16 AM
Evolved Member

We have not not tested the part on a Green, but all current results and design theory point to yes.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 08:08 AM
Evolved Member

Holy Chit mang....that thing OWNS the Megan

Originally Posted by Street Tuners
I have done MY..... scientific test .... which I measured the volume of the tubes.

I compared the Megan O2 Housing - Turbine side/ tube against our O2 Dump Housing - Turbine side/ Tube.

The difference is huge.

I poured water into the tubes and measured how much went into each tube, ours was at least ~25-30% larger(if not more) and held that much more water than the Megan O2 Housing. I'll take pictures tomorrow and show just how more volume the EvoPowerMods O2 Dump tube has compared to the Megan Racing O2 Housing Tube....fairly scientific...lol....\

We are planning a much more detailed graphical presentation to show just how much flow, spoolup, boost potential, etc....stay tuned...

Until tomorrow, but take a look at these 2 comparison photos of our O2 Dump against the Megan O2 Housing.

I would say that is rather big difference in volume. Take a look at the tube, it is larger, and then look at the angle, our tube takes a sharp radious which adds volume. Let me know what you think...?....
Old Jun 27, 2008, 08:55 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TouringBubble;
[I
EPM used a 3" pipe mainly for smoothing the flow from the turbine. The bend used for the turbine outlet is a very tight radius, allowing the 3" pipe to fit in the allotted space while also giving the exhaust gases a smooth, consistent path to flow out of the housing. The gases weren't "out flowing" a 2.5" housing, or even the stock housing ... they just don't flow as easily through them.

So, no, using a full 3" housing should not show any more gains on a stock or stock replacement turbo.
[/I]
Hi Mark,

Thanks for your explanation, it's great to see all the effort, time and R&D that you blokes have put into your product. This dedication is what will see you guy's through to a long & prosperous future.

Has there been any dyno testing between the EPM's O2 compared to any other O2 dumps like Titek, ported stocker & so forth?

TIA

Cheers Steve
Old Jun 27, 2008, 09:28 AM

The pics themselves are worth an extra 5 hp puts a smile on my face.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Steveevo9
Hi Mark,

Thanks for your explanation, it's great to see all the effort, time and R&D that you blokes have put into your product. This dedication is what will see you guy's through to a long & prosperous future.

Has there been any dyno testing between the EPM's O2 compared to any other O2 dumps like Titek, ported stocker & so forth?

TIA

Cheers Steve
Our testing was done in a street environment using DataLogLab for comparisons. Tests were done against the stock O2 housing. Results showed a peak gain of 14hp and significant gains across the rev band ...

These results were repeatable over a series of pulls.

Some customers have reported their gains in comparison to other housings, including the eBay style housing and a ported stock housing. You can find these reviwes and more in the vendor thread ... https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=342112

I plan to install this housing on my personal car soon and have a list of tests I plan to perform. These include spool time, boost creep, max boost at high RPM and power comparisons. The baseline for the tests will be a coated Megan O2 housing. I plan to show results with and without tuning.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gfng
so i guess this part on the fp green turbo would be great ???
yes thats what i got......with the meth and the results were awesome....
Old Jun 28, 2008, 12:57 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TouringBubble
Our testing was done in a street environment using DataLogLab for comparisons. Tests were done against the stock O2 housing. Results showed a peak gain of 14hp and significant gains across the rev band ...

These results were repeatable over a series of pulls.

Some customers have reported their gains in comparison to other housings, including the eBay style housing and a ported stock housing. You can find these reviwes and more in the vendor thread ... https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=342112

I plan to install this housing on my personal car soon and have a list of tests I plan to perform. These include spool time, boost creep, max boost at high RPM and power comparisons. The baseline for the tests will be a coated Megan O2 housing. I plan to show results with and without tuning.

Thanks Mark, I look forward to your results mate.

Cheers Steve

Quick Reply: Finally, an Offical Evolution 02 DUMP!!!!