Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

If i was to upgrade my internals on my evo motor would i be able to run 30+ psi on 93

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2008 | 03:50 PM
Evolved Member

If you go with meth or even try high boost on pump, you will need rod bolts. Too many failures these days and i think its high boost + high revs + mediocre tune= KABOOOM.

I am not a special case, but running 30psi on a total stock bottom end on pumpgas (92 here as well) takes alot of dedication, time, and some EGT sacrifices.
Old Jun 16, 2008 | 04:58 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by raiceboi697
30 psi is 30 psi it dosent matter the turbo you have, 30 psi is gonna make you scatter your internals all over the road. the stock turbo isn't efficient on 30 psi, 24 is really your limit before you are just blowing hot air.
I'm not just trying to increase my post count nor correcting your spelling (Idol=Idle) this time.

Properly upgraded internals take pretty much anything you throw at it unless you're going extreme with a large frame turbo pushing more than 50+ pounds of boost.

The amount of air flow measured as cubic feet/min varies greatly among different turbos and you cannot just conclude 30psi is 30psi no matter what turbo because different turbos flow different cfm even at the same boost pressure.

You are somewhat right on the stock turbo part though.
Old Jun 16, 2008 | 05:10 PM
Evolved Member

Wow some of you really need a lesson in how and why a turbo works...
Old Jun 16, 2008 | 06:00 PM
Evolving Member

Didn't see much info . But assuming you plan to run an after market turbo.

Building it makes it stronger... yes, but like a few said depending on the turbo and how much air it flows at x psi will make a big difference.

Also depending on the turbo you may need better octane or meth/alky. Or pull all the timing out and make the same power as a properly tuned car at less boost.

So technically you can run 30 psi. Should you will depend on your setup.
Old Jun 16, 2008 | 06:03 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Evo9tunerz
Stock turbo and 30 psi should be fine on stock internals. Anything bigger than stock turbo will be pushing it.

THIS is the dumbest thing ive ever heard... you know your advice could cause this guy to blow his engine!

if you dont know what ur talkin about y even post!

The turbo doesnt matter! 30 psi is 30 psi! some turbos just engage later!

and you will need to run meth/alchy inj to hit 30 psi..

you could do it with a good meth kit and run it on the stock block with stock internals.. no ned to upgrade internals since u still wont be able to on pump
Old Jun 16, 2008 | 06:04 PM
Evolved Member

I think it depends on all sorts of factors... you have to remember that boost is simply a measure of resistance. You have a bottom end, cylinder head, cams, intake and exhaust manifolds, turbine housings, exhaust system, etc to consider.

Running 30 psi with a setup where all of the above is not so great is absolutely nothing compared to 30 psi where all of the above is great, given the same turbo.

I think on a nice setup, running 28-30 psi on a stock turbo can be done no problem with 93 octane. They have been doing it in the UK for years and years and their fuel is around 93 in the states.

But don't get fixated on boost.. get fixated on how your engine is breathing.
Old Jun 16, 2008 | 06:05 PM
Evolved Member

The question you asked was, "If I was to upgrade my internals on my EVO would I be able to run 30+ psi on 93."

Rather than get involved in all the misinformation that has already been put in this thread let me just answer your question.

Yes, based on JUST the fact you are upgrading the internals you could run 30 psi of boost on pump gas. That answers your question but leaves too many other things "open".

A few things. The stock internals can also run 30 psi on pump gas and not blow chunks on the highway.

Next, the tuning is important but I honestly don't feel they are as important as the the parts choice.

Running 30 psi on straight 93 on the stock turbo is much harder to do than it is to run 30 psi on a GT35r.

You also need a good head, cams, FMIC just to name a few.
Old Jun 16, 2008 | 06:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mitsuboost30
This is not true. 30 psi on car with very good headwork, nice cams, good intake and exhaust manifolds, and a big turbo is a world of difference from a car with crap cams, tiny turbo and manifolds, etc.

30 psi is not 30 psi!

and you will need to run meth/alchy inj to hit 30 psi..
Not true. With a good setup and good tuner it's not really a problem.
Old Jun 16, 2008 | 06:19 PM
Evolved Member
Veteran: Army

Please follow your own advice and...
if you dont know what ur talkin about y even post!
You should just go uninstall your life.
Old Jun 16, 2008 | 06:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bboypuertoroc

LOL I just pissed myself. OMG. WTF. What he said ^.
Old Jun 16, 2008 | 10:23 PM
Evolved Member

Wow, worst thread in a while (with a few exceptions).

l8r)
Old Jun 16, 2008 | 10:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bboypuertoroc

LMFAO !!!
Old Jun 17, 2008 | 08:19 AM
Evolving Member

+1 rofl
Old Jun 17, 2008 | 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by raiceboi697
30 psi is 30 psi it dosent matter the turbo you have, 30 psi is gonna make you scatter your internals all over the road. the stock turbo isn't efficient on 30 psi, 24 is really your limit before you are just blowing hot air.
WOW! If this was the case then all them big turbo company's have been ripping us off. Is he basically saying a GT35R = Stock 16g???

I run 32psi on my stock turbo. BUT I am running 100% METH and it isn't a steady 32psi it's only a spike. That where my 423TQ comes in. When all said and done make sure you get a good tune bro.

Last edited by FL_SilverEvo8; Jun 17, 2008 at 09:37 AM.
Old Jun 17, 2008 | 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

An interesting point to remember... why does a GT35R make more power than stock turbo at the same boost pressure?

The answer is primarily because the exhaust manifold and turbine housing are larger which means you reduce exhaust back pressure which means your engine is breathing much better. This means that X psi of boost (resistance) yields a lot more flow with GT35R versus stock turbo.

Other smaller issue, but still a added benefit is cooler intake charge... I think this is because of two things, one the compressor housing is larger, so less heat gets soaked into the charge air, and secondarily, since there is more overall air flow which I think might mean velocity and therefore air moves quicker through the hot turbocharger.

Some of the above is speculation so correct me if I am wrong.

Quick Reply: If i was to upgrade my internals on my evo motor would i be able to run 30+ psi on 93