Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Maxed out 8 turbo, or is there more?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2008 | 04:15 AM
Evolved Member

Maxed out 8 turbo, or is there more?

Hey guys, I'm kinda stuck right now with my project,

I've got the stock '05 evo 8 turbo, and I'm trying to see how far I can go with it, right now on a dynojet it's making 390whp and 426 ftlbs. on Q16 fuel with the boost as high as it will make.... I have comp 280 cams, 3" tb exhaust, tubular O2 house, forge MBC and DV, and also the Forge HD wastegate actuator, I have the Buschur Race IC, and LICP.

I've got a couple questions...

I currently have the preload on the Forge actuator set so with the boost controller all the way down, its good for pump gas... the turn it all the way up for race... to see if I am getting all the boost I can, we blocked off the WG hose and it did not hold boost any better, however I was wondering if there is power to be gained by cranking down the preload on the arm for my race gas map, I have seen people say they can peak at over 30, I don't think I am getting that high, maybe 28 or 29 right now and rolls off to 20

Second, Meth. I see some cars making great power on meth, but I wonder if there is anything to be gained with it on race gas, and if so, how much?

third, cone filters.... I know a few tuners who say no and that the stock airbox is fine, that's what I have. Has anyone actually done back to back dynos and gained power from these? I'm hearing mixed reports from different shops/tuners.

EDIT: Forgot to add, I also have aem cam gears dialed in and obviously stock ecu

Last edited by Liqquid; Jun 17, 2008 at 05:08 AM.
Old Jun 17, 2008 | 06:11 AM
Evolved Member

If you're already running Q16, then I would suggest adding 100% water injection. Methanol, depending on purity and measurment method is between 100-115 octane, so don't dilute the 120+ you're already running.

Water, however, will take a lot of heat away from the charge which no doubt is extremely hot. You're pushing the turbo out of efficiency so it's not going to blow the coldest air.

You should also be able to lean the mix out considerable on 100% water... probably as lean as 13:1 if you are monitoring EGT's. The water can replace excess fuel as a cooling agent.

At 390whp, the stock airbox is definitely some kind of restriction. It is worth your while to invest in a solid intake and cone filter, preferably with a heatshield, and see how much you can gain from it.

Last edited by recompile; Jun 17, 2008 at 06:15 AM.
Old Jun 17, 2008 | 06:47 AM
Evolving Member

LOL man if i was making that much on my stock turbo i would be one happy bean. Gratz and good luck man. I would change the stock airbox at the levels that your are at i can imagine that the stock box will be restrictive.
Old Jun 17, 2008 | 07:33 AM
Evolved Member

Have you thought about porting the intake mani and throttle body? If not that might be an option, along with the cone filter intake/hard pipe. You should see some gains if the engines breathing better
Old Jun 17, 2008 | 08:50 AM
Evolved Member

Maybe I'll look into the intake filter, not too much $ and no downtime except to figure the tune for it to drive good while I'm on pump gas...

How about that preload on the WG? Any tuners have input on cranking that down on race days and if there could be more power there... ?

I've heard mixed things on the porting as well, (as far as gains) as well as a friend who had some issues with a ported TB "sticking" partway open
Old Jun 17, 2008 | 12:01 PM
Evolved Member

It's the stock box that is the restriction, not necessarily the panel filter. The stock box just has the small snorkel feeding it air.

Search the forum for the stock airbox mod. I think jcsbanks posted results before and after and noticed a nice decrease in pressure drop and increased airflow. I think there are several people with pictures posted around the forums.

What they do is take the top of the box and cut out the side away from the engine. This allow more air to enter the airbox and since the opening is on the other side of the engine, it should be relatively cool air.
Old Jun 17, 2008 | 12:04 PM
Evolving Member

get rid of that stock airbox for sure...
Old Jun 17, 2008 | 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

Contact aby@mil.spec on here, no one has said one bad thing about their port jobs and for the gains its not a bad price
Old Jun 17, 2008 | 12:33 PM
Evolved Member

Congrats on your accomplishments . I think your along the right track and that heat / turbo inefficiency is probably your biggest limiting factor right now.

I would be interesting to see if changing to a cone filter and/or replacing the intake pipe actually makes more power on your car. I would be inclined to think it would, but the fact that you've come so far puts a big ? mark in my head.
Old Jun 17, 2008 | 12:38 PM
Former Sponsor

We keep the Buschur Ported Intake and TB's in stock so there is no down time if you decide you want to go that route... Good luck!!
Old Jun 17, 2008 | 01:09 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Mike@AwdMotorsports
We keep the Buschur Ported Intake and TB's in stock so there is no down time if you decide you want to go that route... Good luck!!
If you are really trying to max out the turbo, swapping the airbox for a hard pipe will definatly help. like mentioned earlier, the ported intake mani and 65mm tb is a nice upgrade and will net you some nice gains. i picked mine up from AwdMotorsports and saved the downtime. I can definatly feel the gain from the two, the most noticeable being the increased throttle response. i turned my boost down from 22 to 19 until i can get retuned, and it feels like it pulls harder on lower boost with the ported intake and TB.
Old Jun 17, 2008 | 04:07 PM
EvoM Guru

I ran into the stock airbox being a real restriction on our mustang dyno at about 350whp. I swapped to a open air filter and gained 25whp instantly (even with retuning the AFR back down).

Here is a test I did awhile back on a Evo 9 with normal small mods. TBE, no cat and stock airbox vs open filter just by swapping to a open filter, no other changes:

Freeing up the restriction produces more boost.

Here is some more data on a Evo, stock airbox vs open filter, with the open filter, it can hold much more boost:

Last edited by razorlab; Jun 17, 2008 at 04:12 PM.
Old Jun 17, 2008 | 06:04 PM
Evolved Member

Hey thanks for the excellent info!

I am dealing with some pretty bad taper on my race gas, here's the dyno, the first was last year, the higher one is this time after adding the gears and Race IC/Pipe, Forge WG actuator and a set of Works high pressure shaft seals... I was disappointed with the minimal gains, but maybe it can be helped with the intake.

Old Jun 17, 2008 | 08:29 PM
Evolved Member

So, what is your peak boost level on pumpgas?
Old Jun 17, 2008 | 10:32 PM
Evolved Member

you could try porting the wastegate hole a little too,
the turbo is already getting the air it needs the excess is just wanting
to get into the exhaust so let it

Quick Reply: Maxed out 8 turbo, or is there more?