Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

My IX is grinding 5th.... any ideas??

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2008, 02:52 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My IX is grinding 5th.... any ideas??

hello ppl,

like the tittle says....
My IX with 23k miles has started grinding 5th gear. This started about a week ago, and only happens when i shift at 4.5k and higher RPM's.

I hope is not a synchro... this car is basically brand new and lightly modified :S
I dont get it....... (i dont really lauched the car much) Could adjusting the clutch pedal posibly help this issue??
It only happens in 5th, the clutch is not slipping, and I dont have any other ideas than a bad synchro....

any comments would be appreciated.

Daniel
Old Jun 18, 2008, 04:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mine does the dame thing actually........

getting a brand new clutch today so ill tell you if that the reason and fix or not....

i think it is though IMO.....especially since it only does it at higher rpms
Old Jun 18, 2008, 04:29 AM

Warranty it!

Happened to mine earlier milage then you. Ended up getting a factory warranty for it, and decided to throw in a clutch and lightened flywheel. My Dealer said it happens and it's pretty much almost a factory flaw.

A week or 2 later the same thing happened again. This time in 4-th and 5th gear. I havnt taken it back in cause the dealer said that they basically wouldnt warranty it again if it happened.

(No, I wasnt racing it, Just daily driving it. But oh well. SHEP trans coming soon in my future)
Old Jun 18, 2008, 06:52 AM
Evolved Member

so this would def be a trans problem then right..........???

or could it be both the trans and (or) clutch??
Old Jun 18, 2008, 07:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
could be the clutch not releasing at high rpms. I have a feeling its tranny related though
Old Jun 18, 2008, 09:29 AM

Just had mine done...

Just got my IX back from the dealer for the same problem. I bought it used with 10k on it and 5th gear would grind at higher RPM's. It is indeed a synchro problem. I took the car in and had it diagnosed. Aprox 2 weeks later (I had the car this whole time, they didn't keep it) we received all the parts. I dropped it off on a Tuesday morning and picked it up on Friday afternoon. So far no problems but it's only been 1600 miles since the repair. I'll keep you posted.

BTW, I after searching this and other forums and speaking to the dealer about it they confirmed that 5th gear grind is a common problem. As long as there's no sign of "abuse" there should be NO GOOD REASON why the dealer would deny your claim. Then again they ARE Evo's and this is MITSU. were talking about.

Good luck with your repair and hope this helped.
Old Jun 18, 2008, 02:25 PM
Evolving Member

its the synchro. just had my 4th and 5th replaced. they have a TSB out on it for 03 and 04 but not for the newer ones. find a good dealer or take some of your mods off...
Old Jun 18, 2008, 02:55 PM

i heard 5th gear synchro is a common issue
Old Jun 18, 2008, 03:59 PM
Evolved Member

all evo's have syncro problems. my evo 8 tranny has been out 3 times and is still a mess. im about ready to blow it up and just get a brand new built tranny
Old Jun 18, 2008, 09:02 PM
Evolved Member

Mine started doing this 2 weeks ago..My car is modded and my car was in at the dealership having some other work done. They voided my warranty on everything while it was there without telling me. I went to a different dealer over the weekend and they pulled up my vehivle inquiry. Restrictions on powertrain warranty work. The regional service manager said that anything over stock hp will damage the drivetrain, and that the drivetrain is only made to handle the factory rated hp. He also went on to tell me he races as a hobby and every year he's replacing his synchros...

So now I'm sending my tranny off to shep and putting in an Exedy Twin since everything will be out of the car anyways.

Last edited by Chukee_R; Jun 18, 2008 at 09:07 PM.
Old Jun 18, 2008, 10:47 PM
Evolved Member

so im def screwed for warranty.........just got my twin installed and it got a little better.........but im prolly just gonna go with the shep tranny and say FTW......LOL
Old Jun 24, 2008, 01:07 AM
Evolving Member

Damm guys..... Thanks for the replies.

i guess ill take out the freaking turbo back and intake and bring it back to the dealer... i call them tomorrow

Im sure is the synchro... ill start saving for the shepp tranny now :P

Hey ItGoesTens, how long was your downtime for the car??
did they provided you w a rental??? i need to drive it to work

the sad thing is... i dont even pull in 5th wth? i only do a casual 2nd, 3rd, and 4th....
Old Jun 24, 2008, 04:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by krazirob
so this would def be a trans problem then right..........???

or could it be both the trans and (or) clutch??
Its most likely the syncros.....look at how many people post something similar. It sux bc even tho i have low miles im basicaly waiting for the same thing to happen to me
Old Jun 25, 2008, 07:48 PM
Evolved Member

its def the synchro....i also had that problem just took it back to the dealer they took care of it...
Old Jun 25, 2008, 08:25 PM
Evolved Member

well i made sure the linkages were good and even replaced the bushings. broke in the twin HD clutch and it still does it......

i dont think warranty will work for me so easy on 5th for now until sheps stuff gets here......LOL

kinda sucks though that this would happen to a gear that rarely gets abused......

Quick Reply: My IX is grinding 5th.... any ideas??