Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Tuned HTA37R @22psi pump gas

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2008, 07:07 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by RedLanEVO
Yup.
Some of the 03/04 trans can cause false knock. This is also where the "dreaded" P0300 comes from.

Almost every other 03/04 that comes through our shop exhibits this to certain extents. I've had three or so customers that had this odd knock and it totally cleared up after getting a rebuilt trans or a 05+ spec trans.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 07:08 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Guys, a couple facts:
-a basic bolt-on VIII will make about 260whp on this dyno (no cams)
-a basic-bolt-on IX will make about 290whp on this dyno
-The tuner is an expert, AEM certified and a wizard on oem ECUs to boot. If he said its knocking excessively, then it is. You guys are all accusing the tuner of not knowing if the car is knocking or not, having him re-tune is not going to do anything...I'm sure he got out of it what he could.
-RedlanEvo built this engine himself. Major props to him for that, but it opens the angle that there could be an issue with the motor, the knock sensor, or anything else that could be causing knock or sound like knock to the knock sensor.
-It's been shown that the 37R in the buschur/fp cast setup is a bit choked, the turbine housing would ideally be a bit bigger.

So ya, it is what it is, and RedLanEvo, I look forward to making more power than you on just my IX turbo (with alky ). Nice work none the less, cool setup.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 07:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh he can tune. I don't like to take it out on my tuners although I do understand where you are coming from. If I had the whole day to myself at his shop and a bunch of money to use up, I'm sure we would have found the problem but unfortunately we didn't have a whole day. Plus...he had another guy coming in for a tune so he can't deal with my problems and I completely understand. 'Till next time!
Tuner: "I'm seeing some knock counts"

Customer: "Is it real or false knock"

Tuner: "I'm not sure"

Customer: "I forgot to tell you I have a dentist appt in 5 min! Gotta go! mmm k? b-bye!"
Old Jun 19, 2008, 07:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^uhhhh mmm k.

He actually worked with me until my time was done. Not his time.

Last edited by RedLanEVO; Jun 19, 2008 at 07:57 PM.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ultimately what I'm saying is I would never recommend a tuner that lives and dies by the knock count number of a stock ECU. The tuner should be experienced enough to know by using det cans, checking plugs, power output seen on the dyno, etc.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 07:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by scheides
Guys, a couple facts:
-a basic bolt-on VIII will make about 260whp on this dyno (no cams)
-a basic-bolt-on IX will make about 290whp on this dyno
-The tuner is an expert, AEM certified and a wizard on oem ECUs to boot. If he said its knocking excessively, then it is. You guys are all accusing the tuner of not knowing if the car is knocking or not, having him re-tune is not going to do anything...I'm sure he got out of it what he could.
-RedlanEvo built this engine himself. Major props to him for that, but it opens the angle that there could be an issue with the motor, the knock sensor, or anything else that could be causing knock or sound like knock to the knock sensor.
-It's been shown that the 37R in the buschur/fp cast setup is a bit choked, the turbine housing would ideally be a bit bigger.

So ya, it is what it is, and RedLanEvo, I look forward to making more power than you on just my IX turbo (with alky ). Nice work none the less, cool setup.
Well, like you said, it is what it is for now. I'll get the issue worked out and go re-tune and I do hope you make more power than me but only for now. And...to add to what you said, I started out with 303hp as a baseline run with knock using my map(false or real, don't know. I made a log the night before and it was knock free) and he managed to get a whopping 43.5whp out of an engine that is phantom knocking like crazy. That's pretty cool to me.

razorlab,
Thanks for the info on these trannies.

Last edited by RedLanEVO; Jun 19, 2008 at 07:36 PM.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 07:14 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by IDRINKV8'S
Not trying to rain on your parade but those number's are very low dd dyno don't read lower then mustang's i would go back to the tuner and telll him to retune it or go to somebody different because my evo 9....
That is the biggest load of BS I've ever read. Back to the newb forum, please!
Old Jun 19, 2008, 07:33 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by crcain
Ultimately what I'm saying is I would never recommend a tuner that lives and dies by the knock count number of a stock ECU. The tuner should be experienced enough to know by using det cans, checking plugs, power output seen on the dyno, etc.
While I agree, with the stock Ecu, you are bound by the knock sensor as if the Ecu is reading false knock or not, it is still living by its rules that certain amounts of knock pull certain amounts of timing. False or not.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 07:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Phenix@XtremeBoost
Balance shaft deletes can cause odd harmonics from 4,000rpm and lower. Seems to cause a host of false knock. Sometimes up to 30 counts.

Yes removal is ok just not on a stock ECU. Just making a suggestion, for all we know he didn't.

I really don't see that being the case if the motor is balanced correctly. I have run logs of mine (still not re-tuned) and I see maybe 1 count of knock through a pull.

stock ecu as well
Old Jun 19, 2008, 07:37 PM
Evolved Member

It can cause but in your case, it didn't.
Anyway, keep the peace dammit!
Old Jun 19, 2008, 07:44 PM
Evolving Member

It can cause but in your case, it didn't.
Anyway, keep the peace dammit!
and here I was about to start dropping bombs in the thread
Old Jun 19, 2008, 07:50 PM

tuned..

Hmm, How did I get more awtq then you? I'm tuned @ 290awhp/280awtq with only 22-23psi & tbe.

I got tuned. 346whp and 274 torque peak. Conservative tune on a DynoDynamics.
I could have made more but the car keeps picking up false knock. I was thinking the knock sensor might be loose or it's just the bottom end build. Changing the harmonics of the bottom end that the knock sensor is not tuned into might have it pick up false knock. That's my theory.

Anyway, this tune was on 22psi, probably not even penetrating the turbo's "power" range. It seems ok for me considering it's only on 22psi and pump gas.

Maybe it's time for an AEM EMS!
Has anyone else picked up inconsistent knock (false knock)? I was wondering what you guys did to fix it. I just need some ideas. Thanks for your time.
I can't wait for C16 on 30+psi!
Old Jun 19, 2008, 07:52 PM
EvoM Guru

Just when I thought EvoM was getting a tad smarter overall a bunch of idiots start posting again...
Old Jun 19, 2008, 07:54 PM
Evolved Member

It's a big turbo. Smaller size turbos, like stock and the FPGreen, are known to make equal or more torque than horsepower and then again you can't be certain that you made more torque than someone else unless it was on the same dyno with the same corrections.

Last edited by RedLanEVO; Jun 19, 2008 at 07:56 PM.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 08:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by IDRINKV8'S
Not trying to rain on your parade but those number's are very low dd dyno don't read lower then mustang's i would go back to the tuner and telll him to retune it or go to somebody different because my evo 9 with bolt on's no cam's made alot more power and 60percent more tq so that goes to show something's wrong there you said make 460whp on pump 22psi easy plus that's rather low boost for that turbo get your self on alky kit the car would make 600whp.
newbies

Quick Reply: Tuned HTA37R @22psi pump gas