Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

HTA 35r VS GT850R????

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2008, 08:29 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will agree that having a smaller turbo then the 37r develops way more tq down low which in essence might be ideal for a street car. Unfortunately these cars tend to be compared by 1/4 mile mphs and times and not 60-130 pulls. Especially through numerous dyno whp to 1/4 ET comparisons I have seen through out the board. So when someone is launching off the 2 step and primarily staying in the top 3k rpms of there rev band then the TQ down low goes out the window. So really any turbo that spools by 6k to me and can produce the peak HP necessary to blast through the 1/4 strip will win in my eyes especially on a 2.0 motor which can rev to 10k with proper building. As far as the intercooler comes and your wait time.... Yes your intercooler was sought out from me first but I wanst able to have it in time and was given an ETA of almost 6 weeks. If this was your Stage 3 block tis one thing but its not so I went else where. As far as your build time for a project thats prescheduled into your books..... If I could do it all again with the headaches I have indured through my build I ABSOLUTELY would have made an appointment with you in the beginning of the year and done it once and right. Unfortunately my build has concluded in other hands but these hands have taken care of me for years and Im not gonna dwell.

PS also about the weight thing. Shark has a full aftermarket stereo system and full spec'd race cage in his car. Over in the Tri-state area you can not run a 9 sec car freely without consequence. You must follow rules or you dont get a slip or it lit on the board.

S

Last edited by highhats; Jun 20, 2008 at 08:36 AM.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by highhats
PS also about the weight thing. Shark has a full aftermarket stereo system and full spec'd race cage in his car. Over in the Tri-state area you can not run a 9 sec car freely without consequence. You must follow rules or you dont get a slip or it lit on the board.

S
So, what's your point? Are you seriously crying because of weight?? You think a 150lb 5-point cage is going to all of the sudden kill my times???

As for the stereo, that's his own fault that he has some big ol' bumpin' system in his car.

Your whining reminds me of this kid I raced a few years back that was crying I beat him only because he had his tools in the trunk.....even though I put 2 car lengths on him.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 09:05 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well this thread is starting to turn a bit ugly and I am not sure why, in any event I hope I can clear the air a bit

As far as not knowing anything about the GT850R I am a little confused. The turbo was tested and dyno graphs were given showing it against a GT35R. Also one of the cars running this turbo has been to track and shown to run a 9 sec pass in a fairly full weight car. We have never been a shop to lie or deceive anyone on testing. If we post results those are real world results...no smoke or mirrors.

We have several upcoming and current builds installing this very turbo, two in house right now actually and one coming in a few weeks to put this on his 2.3RR motor (pretty stoked about that)

If you would like to know a little more about it I can tell you its a 62mm wheel and flows roughly 971cfm not sure what else you are really looking for?!?!

We would love to test it against an HTA35R but there are a few things that are preventing us from doing that:

first and foremost is time, right now we are at our busiest and simply do not have the time for a test like this.
Second we have tested a GT35R against an HTA35R and based on those results the HTA will spool earlier then the GT850R but it we don't see how it will make as much peak power
lastly and the least important is that right now we don't have one to test with. Almost all of our HTA35R orders were canceled in Lieu of the GT850R.

Right now we are sold out of the GT850R but we have more coming in and a few backorders so they are moving and moving quickly. To be honest we don't know how well we are going to keep up with the incoming orders. If you are interested I highly recommend you call in and reserve yours today.

Eric

Last edited by AutoMotoSports; Jun 20, 2008 at 09:07 AM.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 09:09 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SloRice
So, what's your point? Are you seriously crying because of weight?? You think a 150lb 5-point cage is going to all of the sudden kill my times???

As for the stereo, that's his own fault that he has some big ol' bumpin' system in his car.

Your whining reminds me of this kid I raced a few years back that was crying I beat him only because he had his tools in the trunk.....even though I put 2 car lengths on him.
Its nutswingers like you that make me laugh during the day at work. If I wanted a car to run 9's I would have gutted it and put a 42r on it. Diff strokes for diff folks. Im just pointing out that Shark a friend of mine's goal is to have a 9 second car the way he has bult it stereo and all. You know every 100lbs is a tenth and can be the marginal diff between a 9 sec and 10 sec car. put a cage in and prove me wrogn tough guy. I cant wait to see your consistent 10.2's with it in hahahaha
Old Jun 20, 2008, 09:31 AM
Evolving Member

Just thought I would chime in since I just saw a new gt850r from AMS in person very recently... I will say I think it will have no problems at all stacking up with the hta35r. Though I am just a nobody opinion here. Needless to say I expect these will make more power and yet still spool like the hta... also despite some belief that it is an off the shelf precision 6262 or 6265... I would not bet on it.

I dont want to speak out of turn here. So agian just my random 2 cents but I think this turbo will quickly show it is everything the hta37r was hoped/ speculated it should be as more get out there. Spool like a hta35r and power like the 37r.

I dont think anyone would be going a bad direction with either turbo, despite what side line debate is about with some people who think they are entitled to everything short of what the guy building it ate for breakfast. It performed on the dyno plot AMS posted, it performed in real life, and I dont expect you will find anything different in the future. AMS seems to be in the business to bring quality product to the table, which is MORE than proven. They bring product to the community and just because they dont want to post up the measurements of the inducer/ exducer of the wheels or something they have done to their spec its not good enough.

The turbo just came out, there is not near the volume of them on the market as an hta35r yet... so of course your not going to have the information about it you would the hta. When the hta came out it was the same way, its a fast moving world but not that fast. This community is somewhat spoiled (which saying that I will likely get bashed, as I will for most this) but when AMS, Bushur, ETS, etc does not spend every waking minute on here to spoon feed information people freak out. They would never get work done if they were stopping their VERY busy business to cater to every users request. Personally I am glad and appreciative for everything they do, and that they are working cause thats how new/ better products come about.

Just like in the Indy Bushur Wilson intake manifold v2 thread... some places dont kiss and tell all. Call Wilson and ask them to give you to spec some of their manifolds for you right quick. See how long that phone call lasts. Hell call any company good at what they do and you will find many have spec built parts they dont give out every last detail on.

Sorry if this post went slightly off topic... cliffs: either turbo is very good choice, despite being new to the scene the 850r is not going to disappoint. I would bet money on it from what I saw of one.

Last edited by twkdcd595; Jun 20, 2008 at 09:38 AM.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AutoMotoSports
Well this thread is starting to turn a bit ugly and I am not sure why, in any event I hope I can clear the air a bit

As far as not knowing anything about the GT850R I am a little confused. The turbo was tested and dyno graphs were given showing it against a GT35R. Also one of the cars running this turbo has been to track and shown to run a 9 sec pass in a fairly full weight car. We have never been a shop to lie or deceive anyone on testing. If we post results those are real world results...no smoke or mirrors.

We have several upcoming and current builds installing this very turbo, two in house right now actually and one coming in a few weeks to put this on his 2.3RR motor (pretty stoked about that)

If you would like to know a little more about it I can tell you its a 62mm wheel and flows roughly 971cfm not sure what else you are really looking for?!?!

We would love to test it against an HTA35R but there are a few things that are preventing us from doing that:

first and foremost is time, right now we are at our busiest and simply do not have the time for a test like this.
Second we have tested a GT35R against an HTA35R and based on those results the HTA will spool earlier then the GT850R but it we don't see how it will make as much peak power
lastly and the least important is that right now we don't have one to test with. Almost all of our HTA35R orders were canceled in Lieu of the GT850R.

Right now we are sold out of the GT850R but we have more coming in and a few backorders so they are moving and moving quickly. To be honest we don't know how well we are going to keep up with the incoming orders. If you are interested I highly recommend you call in and reserve yours today.

Eric
Eric - I'm trying to keep the actual turbo talk on topic. I don't know enough about the 850R to have an opinion on it. I merely stated that the 850R and 35RHTA will probably stack up identical based on the video posted of my car and PlayerZ's.

Originally Posted by highhats
Its nutswingers like you that make me laugh during the day at work. If I wanted a car to run 9's I would have gutted it and put a 42r on it. Diff strokes for diff folks. Im just pointing out that Shark a friend of mine's goal is to have a 9 second car the way he has bult it stereo and all. You know every 100lbs is a tenth and can be the marginal diff between a 9 sec and 10 sec car. put a cage in and prove me wrogn tough guy. I cant wait to see your consistent 10.2's with it in hahahaha
And what part of my last post constitutes me being a nutswinger? Exactly who's nuts am I swinging from....my own??....because I'm only talking about myself.

I wish sharkbite all the luck in the world. It will be tough to have a 9 second car with all the additional weight in the car. As for the cage in my car...you pay for it and I'll put it in. I'll then put the coilovers and lighter wheels/tires on that I'm planning on purchasing next week and then do a couple other weight reduction mods that I plan on doing and I'll still go 9's.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

Eric - I'm trying to keep the actual turbo talk on topic. I don't know enough about the 850R to have an opinion on it. I merely stated that the 850R and 35RHTA will probably stack up identical based on the video posted of my car and PlayerZ's.

And what part of my last post constitutes me being a nutswinger? Exactly who's nuts am I swinging from....my own??....because I'm only talking about myself.

I wish sharkbite all the luck in the world. It will be tough to have a 9 second car with all the additional weight in the car. As for the cage in my car...you pay for it and I'll put it in. I'll then put the coilovers and lighter wheels/tires on that I'm planning on purchasing next week and then do a couple other weight reduction mods that I plan on doing and I'll still go 9's.

Slorice, I've read a few of your posts and seen some of your footage so I would say that your opinions are valid. This thread headed Sharkbite's way when he discussed possibly going from a 37r to an 850r.

Do you think it's a cost effective mod for a car that's run a best mph of 130?

Second question is, If you where building the car over again and both these turbo's where available to you, which one would you choose?
Old Jun 20, 2008, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

I don't think there is any reason for him to spend more money and go from a 37R to a 850R. The 37R has taken a full weight Evo to 9.80's at 147.

As to why he's running 130 traps right now...I don't know enough about the car. I know its fully built by AMS, so it should have the potential to be much faster. Is the 130 traps on pump gas or race gas? If its race gas, something else is wrong. It should be making 600+whp on race gas. Even with a big stereo and cage, 130 traps are way to slow for that kind of power.

I don't know enough about the 850R and there is not enough data out there for me to make a valid comparison between the two. So I would still have to go with the HTA35R as its a proven turbo. Although, VWJeff's times with his HTA37R on pump gas recently are making me reconsider...

Last edited by SloRice; Jun 20, 2008 at 10:22 AM.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 10:40 AM
Evolved Member

I don't think there is any reason for him to spend more money and go from a 37R to a 850R. The 37R has taken a full weight Evo to 9.80's at 147.

As to why he's running 130 traps right now...I don't know enough about the car. I know its fully built by AMS, so it should have the potential to be much faster. Is the 130 traps on pump gas or race gas? If its race gas, something else is wrong. It should be making 600+whp on race gas. Even with a big stereo and cage, 130 traps are way to slow for that kind of power.

I don't know enough about the 850R and there is not enough data out there for me to make a valid comparison between the two. So I would still have to go with the HTA35R as its a proven turbo. Although, VWJeff's times with his HTA37R on pump gas recently are making me reconsider...
hell a 35R I think it was took Curt Brown to 9.3's
Anything is possible with the right mix of weight reduction and parts.

Of course though this is gonna be a lifelong debate as to what is considered extreme and what's not.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

I agree 100%. But Curt's car was also ridiculously light and he's a hell of a driver.

the 37R example I'm talking about is FULL weight...AC and all.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 10:55 AM
Evolved Member

I agree 100%. But Curt's car was also ridiculously light and he's a hell of a driver.

the 37R example I'm talking about is FULL weight...AC and all.
true that..
I guess what I'm getting at is that everyone has their personal preference.
I think it's utter bull to use the excuse that someone's car is lighter.

a win is a win...

I used to get it alot when I had nitrous in my last E7...the excuse was always "take out your nitrous and run me"
That's just plain dumb to me...cause you dont take a knife to a gunfight!
Old Jun 20, 2008, 11:06 AM
Evolved Member

Exactly....run what you brung and hope you brung enough!
Old Jun 20, 2008, 11:46 AM
Former Sponsor

Slo Rice guess what the big brown truck is bringing me next week ...and It's not a GT850R

Last edited by Indy Evo; Jun 21, 2008 at 09:35 AM.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

you didn't!!!
Old Jun 20, 2008, 12:37 PM
Former Sponsor

Sometimes it's hard to pick the best tool out of a tool box for a job. In this case the tool I chose is a Forced Performance HTA 35R, if its good enough for David Buschur's white RS and U2SLO aka Pete's old Bad Bish on pump I'm willing to guess it's good enough for me. Whats 2580lbs makes 620 on pump and goes A to B really fast...U2SLO's FP HTA35R enough said.

Last edited by Indy Evo; Jun 21, 2008 at 09:45 AM.

Quick Reply: HTA 35r VS GT850R????