Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Problem with Zaklee Clear Cam Gear cover

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2009, 10:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by robert5995
Hi, All -

You guys should be contacting me when you crack your cam gear cover. I'll replace it for free, although you'll get a lightweight lecture about proper torque for a cover whose sole function is to keep stuff out of your cam drive area. I can break anything if I torque it enough.

Thanks!

- Rob@Zaklee
Does the abovementioned apply to me in Singapore?
Old Aug 21, 2009, 10:43 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Moto -

Absolutely! Just contact me and we'll take care of you: rcsteinway@earthlink.net. Thanks!

- Rob@zaklee
Old Aug 21, 2009, 10:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't think I'm going to get a clear cam gear cover any time soon, but I find that it is EXTREMELY cool that HE will replace your cam gear cover that YOU most likely over torqued.

Thats what I call customer service!
Old Aug 21, 2009, 11:15 AM
Evolving Member

Syzygy -

You're the Man, thanks!

- Rob@Zaklee
Old Aug 21, 2009, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

All -

Sorry that I don't search for "Zaklee" and "problems" or "Cracking" very often.

I guess that I should have. It's never too late for customer service!

Mishi - I did not know about the thread on MLR - I have been in contact with those guys, thanks!

Josh - didn't we work this out when you were here? I thought we did for some reason. Let me know: rcsteinway@earthlink.net, thanks!

- Rob@Zaklee
No I have never came to you business. We met at my bank BVCU on Arapahoe and I asked if I could get my money back for shipping and you said no cause you drove to meet me...But I was like WTF I drover further than you and it was you're idea to "meet someone that these cam gear covers are going on"

It's fine bro, it's just the thing I remember all the time about my clear cam cover. LOL it's all good bro it's just 9 bucks and that was 07' sometime
Old Aug 21, 2009, 11:51 AM
Evolving Member

Josh -
I remember. Send me your paypal address and I'll send you the $9. All good? Thanks!

- Rob@Zaklee
Old Aug 21, 2009, 03:42 PM
Evolved Member

Robert is the man!

I've had my clear IX cover for over a month now. It's probably my most favorite engine accessory mod ^_^
Old Aug 21, 2009, 04:05 PM
Evolved Member

Hi, Boost -

So, let's see, what exactly did you do to it? Lexan doesn't fog unless it is in the presence of gasoling or volatile solvents of the ketone family, like acetone or MEK. Let me know: rcsteinway@earthlink.net. Thanks!

- Rob@Zaklee
i havn't had it off since i installed it and i havn't seen any visable leaks. iv never cleaned under my hood so there is no way solvents got on there. might be time to take it off and take a closer look. could just be some dust n stuff
Old Aug 21, 2009, 07:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How about we do it like this eg

NAME:
MODEL SERIES:
DATE INSTALLED:
CRACKING AROUND BOLT HOLES:
COMPLETE SEPARATION INTO TIMING AREA:
FOGGING\ DISCOLOURATION:

I have a hunch. I'm beginning to wonder if it's the constant heat cycles? I mean evos push a lot of heat but say when it runs hot in the day and then parked up at night when it's cool/ cold (especially in england and the states during fall/ winter) that constant cycle would cause cracks eventually... the brass in the cover may gain heat faster than the plastic while the plastic itself cools faster than the brass during the night, leading to expansion/ contractions and causing "stress cracks"

Just a thought...
Old Aug 21, 2009, 10:48 PM
Evolving Member

Well I do know one thing, I will be ordering one to show off my new HKS gears, and I feel pretty confident now knowing that Rob is such a good guy.
Old Aug 22, 2009, 05:41 AM
Evolving Member

Positron -

You are the Man for coming out with your postive comments, thanks!

Boost -
Soap and water is good for dust, but generally, there shouldn't be dust in there unless there is another problem, and I hope that's not the case. Email me a pic: rcsteinway@earthlink.net.

Mishi - Let's keep it simple. Polycarbonate is a very tough material and if you melt it, your engine will also have melted. I'll take these on a case-by-case basis.

Thanks, Gents!

- Rob@Zaklee
Old Aug 22, 2009, 06:32 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool no probs.

But on the polycarbonate, not any aspect melting wise, what I mean is there must be some pattern to it... yes the overtightening, but could the cycles of cold nights in temperate countries such as US and England and running time with the heat a 4g63T produces (combined with the stiffness of the polycarbonate) cause eventual stress cracks at the bolts from constant heating up/ cooling down?

Was searching on this and found this....

Never let Lexan come in contact with Loctite. Loctite erodes Lexan in such a way that makes it brittle and very prone to cracking
This might sound obvious - but Lexan is fairly soft compared to metals and composites (like carbon fiber). High pressure from being bolted can cause it to crack
Cracking
Unexpected cracking by polycarbonate is often due to stress corrosion. Remember that both tensile stress and an attacking chemical are needed. The stress can either be applied stress, residual stress or both. An example of applied stress: a female pipe thread tapped into the polycarbonate part. The male thread screws into it and the taper expands the female part, putting it into tension. Residual stress comes from quenched in stress, after dropping out of the mold, when the different areas of the part cool at different rates. Applied stress has to be designed out of the part by varying the cross sectional thickness of the part. Residual stress gets annealed out. The time and temperature is dependent on the particular plastic. A quick check to tell if residual stress is present in a transparent polycarbonate part is to place a polarized filter or even a pair of polarized sunglasses in front of a light bulb and let the now polarized light shine through the part.

Examine the part while wearing a pair of polarized sunglasses. Because of polycarbonate's special optical properties, often the polarizing lens in front of the light is not necessary. If a pattern of residual stress is present you'll see it in the plastic.

Last edited by MISHI; Aug 22, 2009 at 06:37 AM.
Old Aug 22, 2009, 06:41 AM
Evolving Member

Mishi -

I appreciate your efforts here. If the cover is put on with "light screwdriver-level" torque, the head can expand and contract without stressing the bushings. By the way, I have a new Instruction Sheet that I put in all clear cam gear covers now that addresses this. Thanks!

- Rob@Zaklee
Old Aug 22, 2009, 06:42 AM
Evolving Member

Wat can I say... ...Absolute top notch after sales service!

Moto -

Absolutely! Just contact me and we'll take care of you: rcsteinway@earthlink.net. Thanks!

- Rob@zaklee
Old Aug 22, 2009, 07:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
This company goes way past the normal in standing behind its products. Then people complain about shipping costs when the owner meets them in person to deliver a replacement... WTF? Then the company refunds his $9 too? Over the top.

Mine was put on several years ago. Fasteners applied with common sense. Still looks and works just like it did the first day it was put on. Still, I'm going to check it every day, in hopes that I'll be able to have a reason to visit that amazing Zaklee shop JK

Quick Reply: Problem with Zaklee Clear Cam Gear cover