Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

BR's dyno testing and new parts development continues...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2008, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SloRice
Sounds like you have more problems than crancase venting.....
One of the friends in question runs a Buschur long block. How often are you topping up oil? I'd have to ask my friend where he is at now. I am doing about 1/2 quart each month if I drive the car daily. I think he does about the same. He runs 11.5 stock 9 turbo Buschur long block all else pretty much stock.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 12:46 PM
Evolved Member

My limited experience with built motors in Evos makes me inclined to believe MOST built motors will consume significantly more oil than a stock Evo. And even then it depends on so many things. My 6 when stock had practically zero oil consumption for 5 years. My buddies bone stock 9 does consume a bit of oil. Like maybe goes from high to low in the space of 4 months daily driving.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

But then there is always chances of oil leaks via valve guides, valve stem seals, etc do you can't just blame anyone thing without being sure of the problem.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 12:50 PM
Evolved Member

Sounds like you have more problems than crancase venting.....
FYI my motor has held up great for the 1.5 years I've been running it and it has seen as much as 41 psi so I've become OK with checking the oil every week or two. I'm sure some built motors are great with very little oil consumption but I think many aren't. What is your experience being involved in the tuning world for so long?
Old Dec 5, 2008, 01:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by crcain
One of the friends in question runs a Buschur long block. How often are you topping up oil? I'd have to ask my friend where he is at now. I am doing about 1/2 quart each month if I drive the car daily. I think he does about the same. He runs 11.5 stock 9 turbo Buschur long block all else pretty much stock.
I think most people with a built motor maintenance them frequently enough that they don't see a significant loss in oil.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 01:22 PM
Account Disabled

stock or built, I check my oil almost daily...my stock block had low compression on one cylinder since the day I bought the car (used) and it went though a quart a month maybe. So far the Buschur block hasn't needed any extra oil...I also noticed my breather filter on the valve cover isn't getting coated in oil.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 01:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
I would agree that typically there is more oil consumption on a built motor than a stock engine.

The tolerances on piston to wall clearance are tighter on a stock engine with cast pistons than on a forged piston engine. A stock engine is generally run at lower boost levels too. The higher the boost pressure the more crankcase pressure there is going to be which adds to the amount of oil pushed out the breather hoses.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 02:16 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah I mean my buddy with the Buschur long block, has been running on that built motor around the same as me a year and half. He has been very happy with it. Runs 11.5 on pretty much all stock parts + evo 9 turbo + autronic + bushur long block. We did a leak down on his motor a month ago and it was 5% across the board. He's never had a problem and loved the motor.

However, he does fill up about 1/2 quart per month. He drives his car HARD everyday. Really unforgivingly. He runs completely stock crankcase venting. We are thinking with better venting his oil consumption might go down.

With my motor, Magnus built it, I do think it is somewhat loose in terms of piston to wall. I get a bit of piston slap when cold. Now I do the same as my buddy, about 1/2 quart a month. I've never been too fussed about it because hell I threw anywhere between 36 and 41 psi at it several times and the thing just runs great. But again I'm wondering if I improve my crankcase venting my oil consumption might go down.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 04:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Your oil consumption should go down simply from returning the oil to the crankcase, that is part of the idea behind this catch can.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 04:49 PM
Evolved Member

the piston slap is from the car being cold
Old Dec 5, 2008, 06:16 PM
Evolved Member

The first 500 miles I remember adding some oil but after that I haven't added a drop to it. I check it every time I fill up the gas tank or before I race it. But I also do an oil change after every time I ran race gas or did a lot of pump gas racing. So I was probably doing an oil change every 1000 miles or so.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 07:05 PM
Evolved Member

The first 500 miles I remember adding some oil but after that I haven't added a drop to it. I check it every time I fill up the gas tank or before I race it. But I also do an oil change after every time I ran race gas or did a lot of pump gas racing. So I was probably doing an oil change every 1000 miles or so.
That is pretty impressive. I don't think most people with built motors get all that lucky. So when you did an oil change every 1000 miles, was it still on full?
Old Dec 5, 2008, 07:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by crcain
Yeah I mean my buddy with the Buschur long block, has been running on that built motor around the same as me a year and half. He has been very happy with it. Runs 11.5 on pretty much all stock parts + evo 9 turbo + autronic + bushur long block. We did a leak down on his motor a month ago and it was 5% across the board. He's never had a problem and loved the motor.

However, he does fill up about 1/2 quart per month. He drives his car HARD everyday. Really unforgivingly. He runs completely stock crankcase venting. We are thinking with better venting his oil consumption might go down.

With my motor, Magnus built it, I do think it is somewhat loose in terms of piston to wall. I get a bit of piston slap when cold. Now I do the same as my buddy, about 1/2 quart a month. I've never been too fussed about it because hell I threw anywhere between 36 and 41 psi at it several times and the thing just runs great. But again I'm wondering if I improve my crankcase venting my oil consumption might go down.
what did you do for break in? what oil for how long ect... Have you done any comp or leak down tests?
Old Dec 5, 2008, 07:43 PM
Evolving Member

I've never really believed in these but this is interesting.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 07:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JC evo1
what did you do for break in? what oil for how long ect... Have you done any comp or leak down tests?
Hey... all three of us broke our in our engines hard. 10-15 min idle. 5-10 min cruise and get the fueling right. Then about 10-15 min at spring pressure boost. Then tuner flew in and mapped all cars to max boost.

I haven't done a leak down on my motor since I got it. I did a compression check a few times over the past 1.5 years and it was always good in the 165-175 range. We did a leak down on my buddies Buschur motor and it came across flawless 5% on all 4 and he tops up oil every 3-4 weeks. Now that said, he could be burning oil from a lot of places. Who knows. Could be a valve guide, seal, turbo, etc so hard to say. He doesn't see any smoke on startup.

I'm more interested in the oil consumption of other people with built motors. As I don't think there is necessarily anything wrong with our setups.

Quick Reply: BR's dyno testing and new parts development continues...