Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

BR's dyno testing and new parts development continues...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2008, 05:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dave did you ever see positive pressure in the intake pipe? Like on lift off?

And maybe I did not read it right... but it sounds to me like the main difference with this catch can is it has 3 ports to it? Or does it have some baffling or filtering or something else that distinguishes it from your run of the mill catch can?
Old Jun 25, 2008, 05:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 05:50 AM
Account Disabled

nice work,its about time someone comes up with a good catch can system.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 06:07 AM
Evolving Member

Interested/subscribed
Old Jun 25, 2008, 06:12 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
pure R&D baby
Old Jun 25, 2008, 06:17 AM
Evolved Member

This is happenstance that Buschur is doing some research on catch cans because I am currently in the market for one. I was just about to buy the Greddy one when I saw this thread. I'm very interested in the results and the price.

Standing by.....
Old Jun 25, 2008, 06:25 AM
Evolved Member

wouldnt this all be easier to just take off the PCV valve and vent the crankcase to atmosphere?
Old Jun 25, 2008, 06:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As long as the "cans" have some sort of baffling the oil will not make it back into the intake. I've made several of these and never had an oiling issue, but mine aren't hollow like most. Sounds like Dave has it figured out.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 06:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Drifto
As long as the "cans" have some sort of baffling the oil will not make it back into the intake. I've made several of these and never had an oiling issue, but mine aren't hollow like most. Sounds like Dave has it figured out.
figured it out? figured what out? these have been around forever. you yourself have "made several." is there something here im missing?

in fact me and my buddy planed on making one out of carbon fiber.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 06:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by scheides
Dave, I there is a guy on here with a product you NEED to try with this. His username is s2kracka and he has a product he calls Kracka Vents; they're basically one-way check valves for the lines as they leave the valve cover, and they help increase the vacuum in the valvecover and crank case but not allow boost pressure back into them. PM me or him for details, i do not want to clutter your thread.
http://www.maperformance.com/store/p...cat=695&page=1

Here is the product Scheides is referring to. I sell them through Modern Automotive Performance (an EvoM board sponsor) so if anyone is interested please either contact them or myself for more info. MANY DSM's, Evo's, and S2000's are already running these and all are reporting back great results. We plan on putting them on MAP's 4G63-powered FD RX-7 the next time it goes up on the dyno to see what kinds of gains we're able to get from these vents alone. This is the white one that was at the Buschur Shootout last year, and should be in attendance again this year.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 07:34 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by S2kracka

Here is the product Scheides is referring to. I sell them through Modern Automotive Performance (an EvoM board sponsor) so if anyone is interested please either contact them or myself for more info. MANY DSM's, Evo's, and S2000's are already running these and all are reporting back great results. We plan on putting them on MAP's 4G63-powered FD RX-7 the next time it goes up on the dyno to see what kinds of gains we're able to get from these vents alone. This is the white one that was at the Buschur Shootout last year, and should be in attendance again this year.
Awesome. I am going to get some of these.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 08:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Best way to clean an intercooler that is already dirty is go to Home Depot and buy a gallon of Greased Lightning, take the intercooler off, wash it out and let it drain. There is a thread on here from a few years ago that is in detail I did.

A belt driven vacuum pump isn't anything I am going to mess with. I have used electric pumps in the past and the work OK too.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 08:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by S2kracka

Those valves look large... are you supposed to drill and tap your valve cover? Anymore info?

My idea of the perfect catch can would be, two lines which are direct fit/replacement for the PCV back outlet and side outlet nipple. Then the lines would have a vacuum applied to them, and there would be a guarantee that no actual oil would go into the intake tract. And that nothing could ever enter the valve cover outlets unfiltered.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 08:26 AM
Evolved Member

The valves that have been posted in MY thread about catch cans are one way check valves like a PCV correct? Which allows the breather to be attached to a boost/vacuum source to pull a vacuum under vacuum conditions and not push boost into the engine under boosted conditions, correct? If not please explain what the purpose is.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 09:02 AM
Evolved Member

crcain, on lift off there still was not positive pressure although the pressure rose slightly, it was still in the negative numbers. The can actually has four ports on it. Two for the valve cover ports, one for the port that goes to the turbo inlet and one for to return the oil to the engine. The inside of the can also has a seperation canister inside of it so the oil doesn't get sucked into the turbo.

Quick Reply: BR's dyno testing and new parts development continues...